Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally just finished Infinite Jest. I really don't get the hype for it. It was good enough, but in the end I just couldn't get all that into it, I guess.

Now going to read A Tale of Two Cities, probably.

Steven Naifeh, Gregory White Smith:

The Mormon Murders: A true story of greed, forgery, deceit, and death

James Rollins:

Sandstorm

Map of Bones

The Doomsday Key

Paul Christopher:

The Templar Cross

The Templar Throne

Michael Lang:

The Road to Woodstock

Totally just finished Infinite Jest. I really don't get the hype for it. It was good enough, but in the end I just couldn't get all that into it, I guess.

Now going to read A Tale of Two Cities, probably.

I just finished reading IJ for the second time (in 3 years). There was so much more that I got out of it the second time around. I'm sure in about 18 months when I go for round 3, there will still be more revelations.

Now reading William McFeeely's biography of U.S. Grant.

Finished Ragtime, Doctorow the other day. Second time reading it, but first time outside of school which means it was the first time I paid any attention. Didn't really do it for me.

Now onto Wittgenstein's Mistress, Markson. I read Reader's Block awhile back and my brain melted.

Also struggling slowly through a book about Herman Hesse's novels.

in the meantime, i'm starting

sheffield.jpg

I just read this about a week ago. It was charming for the most part. I like Rob Sheffield, and I really enjoyed his first book, but there were elements of Talking To Girls... that made me roll my eyes, especially that women and girls are flaky, superficial music fans who just want to dance. I take it that it's supposed to be some sort of compliment (we girls don't have to worry about serious stuff like bootleg collecting, or discussing the minutiae of Smiths lyrics -- my examples, not his), but it's a tired old stereotype.

Anthony, does Broom relate to IJ in any way? I'm another who recently read IJ. What a crazy, convoluted, madcap book.

Not directly related, no. But the same style of writing: unreliable narrator, unseen characters, characters with odd/unexplained personal quirks, plots that tangentially intertwine, an implied ending (without expressly seen), ... All the stuff that makes IJ so fun is here - just in less pages.

I read IJ before Broom, so it left me wanting more :lol

I am a bigger fan of Patti Smith as a person and an artist than as a musician, if that makes any sense.

Makes sense to me. She seems like a fascinating, intoxicating person, but I don't really care for her music.

• 2 weeks later...

I-Am-Ozzy-book-cover-500x666.jpg

Saw this in the library and was very reluctant to check it out, but it's turned out to be the most entertaining reading I've done in a long time.

In some ways, this is the exact same book as Angela's Ahses.

Saw this in the library and was very reluctant to check it out, but it's turned out to be the most entertaining reading I've done in a long time.

In some ways, this is the exact same book as Angela's Ahses.

I didn't think it was very good. Some funny stuff, but not really a lot of music talk.