Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:wave Hi Maudie!! :cheekkiss

Isn't it a great cover?! I love that photo.

The book is about a group of women at the Atlit Internment Camip in Palestine, following WWII. While the narrative is set within actual historical events, at the heart of the book are the stories of the women and the development of their relationships. I loved The Red Tent so much, so I wanted to give it a go. It isn't as good as The Red Tent, but it's certainly worth a read. I have Diamant's other fictional book The Last Days of Dogtown on my reading list for 2010.

I'm definitely going to have to check this book out. I don't know that another book could live up to The Red Tent, that's still at the top of my list.

So far I've read:

les-miserables.jpg

I have to admit that I didn't read the entire book. There were sections that I totally skipped concerning the revolution, the history of slang, and other parts that didn't add to the story.

secret-garden.jpg

I had read this book when I was a kid and loved it then. I still love it.

Now reading:

the-lacuna1.jpg

So far so good...

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this one before school starts on Monday. After that I'll be reading 20th century American Lit until May.

Tackling Infinite Jest.

And some book by Bill Bryson that is about him driving around America. Super whiny and stupid so far. I don't need 300 pages of, "Went to Indiana. It was boring, so I left."

Did you read a "Walk in the Woods"? Classic read and Bryson at his best I think. I laughed out loud throughout the book! Fully recommend it.

Since Then - David Crosby and Carl Gottlieb

The follow-up to Long Time Gone, this one is extremely sad.

Julie Powell's Cleaving, for the food column. Liked it; will post the review later this week.

http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=504894

51R7T1V225L._SX500_.jpg

I quite liked his previous book "Kick Me: Adventures in Adolescence." I'm about halfway through and so far I'd say this is as equally funny and honest--to a sometimes painful degree--as the first one.

petalpusher.jpg

I've been reading this one in between bouts with other books. It didn't really grip me at first but now I'm getting more into it as it nears the end. Far from an essential rock bio, but not without its merits.

Recently finished:

13060934.jpg

(How often does a book by a bona fide registered VCer get posted in here?? And yes, there is a Wilco mention, towards the end...)

Almost done with What is the What, and yes, it's great, so you can all stop bugging me about it now. :P

Next up:

8581465.jpg

45366556.JPG

carville_cover_large.jpg

and for the long train ride home from Vancouver next month:

ulysses-dust-jacket.jpg

I just finished 'the waiting time' by Eugenia Price. It was her last book she wrote, I love reading her books.

Also a couple small books about Savannah...

Now 'Georgia's Land of The Golden Isles' by Burnette Vanstory

Next...

'The Lost Legacy of Georgia's Golden Isles' by Betsy Fancher

'Journal of a Residence on a Georgian Plantation in 1838-1839' by Fanny Kemble

'South' by Eugenia Price

I love going to the library getting older books about Georgia, Florida, Carolina's, then take a road trip to visit these places and think what it was like back then.

I hope in March to do a run up the Eastern coast and end up in Savannah for Wilco, then the ATL... I did a coast run 3 Christmas's ago, Florida to Savannah.

Reading over all the books everyone is reading has made my list longer.

Happy Reading... :thumbup

I've just been doing a lot of NY Times crosswords lately while waiting for either Eating Animals or the new Paul Auster to show up for me at the library.

bbop had a great laugh one day, when we were waiting in line for a show and doing NYT crosswords, and I told him that "Sunday is just a big Thursday".

Good luck with that, I'm still smarting from my attempt at Gravity's rainbow.

I forgot to reply to this earlier.

I think Ulysses is do-able. Now, Finnegans Wake, no way I'm sticking a toe into that pool...

I've been on a TOTAL reading kick in the new year. I jokingly set a "resolution" to read 10,000 pages this year (even though I'm sure I eclipsed that by a bit last year) and already find myself right around 2,500.

Read so far this year:

Harry_Potter_and_the_Half-Blood_Prince.jpg

Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows.jpg

200px-Under_the_Dome_Final.jpg

Currently Reading:

200px-Duma_Key.jpg

Next up:

200px-DWCity.jpg

and I may read Neal Stephenson's entire fiction novels set in chronological order after that.