Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just read Cloudsplitter

Do you reccomend that? I've had it a pile of books I picked up since last spring but haven't been compelled to pick it up.

NR:

our-noise-merge-records.jpg

Picked this up Saturday afternoon and I'm almost done with it. A nice read and so far I've really enjoyed the reflections of how the connection with Jeff Magnum came about and the background on the Elephant 6 Collective.

Do you reccomend that? I've had it a pile of books I picked up since last spring but haven't been compelled to pick it up.

I do recommend Cloudsplitter. It's over 700 pages and has a heavy content matter, but if you're into John Brown's affairs you won't mind.

I know you weren't asking me, but I'll chime in too. I really liked Cloudsplitter. Not an easy read, but very satisfying. To me, it was interesting getting in the head of someone willing to commit horribly immoral acts (terrorism, basically) to stop a worse immoral act (slavery). There was also lots of fun father/son issues. It wouldn't be Russell Banks w/o that.

so i'm looking for some book recommendations. i've been reading a ton lately and am running out of books.

some of my favorite authors are kurt vonnegut, tom robbins, john steinbeck and albert camus. lately i've been reading some sartre which i find pretty interesting. any suggestions?

Straight Man - Richard Russo

Based On the Movie - Billy Taylor

City of Thieves - David Benioff

The first two are wonderful, fast-moving & funny, and if you like Robbins I expect you'll like these a lot. City of Thieves is quite funny too, but also poignant and tragic and just plain brilliant. You can't go wrong with any of these. Oh, one more...

Dear American Airlines - Jonathan Miles

A guy sitting in a terminal writing a complaint letter. I'll leave it at that. :lol

NR: Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

I have to say - I got right into it and think its a rather good book. I recommend it highly.

The Story of Merge Records and Backbeat have just been added to my list. They both look right up my alley!

Just finished "Water For Elephants" and would recommend it as a quick read. Thought it was worthwhile. I find myself now in the unfortunate position of not having anything in my pile! Haven't been to the library in a little bit. Will have to scan back through here to beef up my queue....