Now Reading in the New New Year

It is a collection of academic essays about MSCL. They are often interesting but it is kind of heavy for bedtime reading. I had just read Love Is a Mix Tape prior to this so I'm all nostalgic for the 90s.

Alison's posts always send me straight to my library's on-line catalogue. :) They don't have this one, but I've requested it through inter-library loan.

How could I resist these chapter titles?

Gender/sexuality/desire : subversion of difference and construction of loss in the adolescent drama of My so-called life / Michele Byers

Saving our so-called lives : girl fandom, adolescent subjectivity and My so-called life / Susan Murray

Timing is everything : the success of Dawson's Creek and the failure of My so-called life / Andrew Coomes

Their so-called scene : uses of popular music in My so-called life / Kelli Maloy

My so-called queer : Rickie Vasquez and the performance of teen exile / Jes Battis

Jordan Catalano/Brian Krakow : masculinity, the "alternative" 90s, and My so-called life / Nicholas Birns

Passing notes and passing crushes : writing desire and sexuality in My so-called life / Jolie Braun

"Whatever happens happens" : infidelity in My so-called life / Deidre Dowling Price

My so-called magical life : magical realism joins the Chase(s) / Chris Brooks

Holden Caulfield in Doc Martens : The catcher in the rye and My so-called life / Barbara Bell

One of those fights where it feels like the fight's having you : the "Patty reading" of My so-called life / Bill Kte'pi

My so-called life in the balance : metaphors of mortality and uncertainty in a short-lived television series / David Scott Diffrient

My so-called life meets The X-files : Winnie Holzman's influence on Joss Whedon / David Lavery.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the Jordan Catalano/Brian Krakow one sounded good, but yeah, that last one. Yay!

They're sending me a copy from the University of Nevada, Reno. There isn't a single available copy of this book anywhere in California? :huh

i think you need to buy carbon offsets for that! I'm surprised at the cost of it (even used!) on amazon. I guess because it is technically a textbook?

Yeah, it's criminal what textbooks cost! That book looks intriguing.

I have to rave again about City of Thieves. How tragic, comic, and triumphant this book is...and in the end, how sweetly heartening. There is so much depth here. This story is a gem!

This is one of those books that will stick in my head for life. :worship to author David Benioff!

City-Of-Thieves-M.jpg

I have to rave again about City of Thieves. How tragic, comic, and triumphant this book is...and in the end, how sweetly heartening. There is so much depth here. This story is a gem!

This is one of those books that will stick in my head for life. :worship to author David Benioff!

I read it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. About half way through I went out and got a copy of 25th Hour but haven't started that yet.

80072e1a.jpg

Sometimes I give characters a familiar voice to carry me through a novel. In this case I fancy Connelly to be a Clint Eastwood character from 25-30 years ago, a strong, quiet, decent yet conflicted grieving father tracking down his daughter's mysterious murderer, Mr. Shivers, a Jack the Ripper type character who just may be the Devil himself.

3/4s through Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Hadn't read a King book since high school, and got the itch recently. Picked this up at the library from a litter of his titles. And ah, it's doing a good job of scratching that itch.

Just abandoned A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore ( :hmm ); I was over halfway through it, too. She lost me at... well, a certain plot twist, though she'd begun to lose me well before that.

Moving on, picked up Lit: A Memoir by Mary Karr. Almost done with that and its really good so far.

Can someone please explain to me how to post those nifty book cover pictures?

Can someone please explain to me how to post those nifty book cover pictures?

Sure.

First find your image and the corresponding URL for it.

(EX. http://upload.wikime...udsplitter.jpg)

Next, on the Toolbar when replying to a post, find the "insert image icon", click that and enter your target URL.

untitled-3.jpg

Click "Insert image" and there you are.

NR:

Cloudsplitter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

leclair_book_preview.gif

(This is a book that has local importance.)

Biography of the inspirational college coach who brough the East Carolina University baseball program to the prominence it still exhibits today. LeClair's career was at its zenith when he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) at age 35.

I Am Ozzy

Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Ayres

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York

Deborah Blum

I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-up Comedy's Golden Era

William Knoedelseder