East Coast Spring Tour 2010

We were toying with the idea of "tailgating" -- bringing guitars and djembe and picnic dinner and just messing around in the parking lot until showtime.

That'd be fun...and I only say this as a warning and not to be a bummer, but unless Savannah has changed recently, there are a lot of folks who would be very interested in permanently removing those musical instruments from your vehicle while you're inside enjoying the concert.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following up on NH realising only 1.300 I think the smallest room on this leg of the tour

But IF anyone has insight to the local Fine Beer/Food combo estblishment I would be appreciative.

Savannah sounds fUn and Warm

But we will get our treasured Very Short Spring here soon..

btw the best local Beer Pub food for Boston Show is Beantown IMO steps to Orpheum

Yeah my kids are 5 and 6. It might get a little interesting with them sitting in one spot for 2 hours, but they love music and Wilco, so I'm interested to see how they react.

Tailgating would be cool.. We've thought about doing that, but have to carry-on the tradition of finding the best brews in town. :)

Are the kids directly involved in that tradition? :blink

RE: Concord, NH Places To Drink & Eat or Places To Go To And Miss The Show Because There Aren't Many

Manchester, NH has a much more conducive downtown environment for getting drinks & eating bar like food etc.

Concord, NH is more of a laid back part of place where there's more odd places for niche products and the likes of one independent movie theater. Think of Concord as the bookworm to the boozer that is Manchester. :pirate

I'll tell you the few places that I know of and it's up to you to make a game time decision to go and wait for a place and risk not making it back in time for an 8p.m. show time.

If there was an opening act, I'd be more optimistic about people making it back in time. I'm thinking since it's a week night and certain people probably like to frequent these establishments and on top of that people coming into town for WIlco should make for a big cluster fuck.

Before I list the places let me tell you about the parking situation around Concord, NH. Next to the Capitol Center is a parking garage confusingly titled Concord Commons parking garage. Is this a parking garage for tenants of a local (read: several) apartment complex? I'm not really sure and the website isn't clear about it. It does state that it is .50 to park per hour which obviously will be changed for a concert. This is within distance of the venue. As are most of the bars that I'll list.

The Parking Situation : Parking isn't too bad as the roads are set up wide enough to allow slanted parking in front of these main street establishments. That being said good luck finding a spot if you miss one of these primo spots and then finding a parking garage on a side street that isn't the one that I listed above. It could cause chaos, if you spend more time picking a side street looking for places to park. That being said it's only supposedly 8 minutes walking distance from the establishment that is the farthest away to the Capitol Center. The only problem is if you come from the venue you are walking uphill to these establishments.

The Bars: (from furthest away to the closest. Heading North)

The Barley House - Menu & Drinks Etc. My best friend and his band played here about 3 years ago and it is somewhat small. The bar area is kind of long, but the back room can be tight. Picture booths crammed and framing small tables in the middle. Only an 8 minute walk according to Google Maps. This seems like the ideal place for a meet up and considering the size it may be a pain in the ass to accomplish that.

Hermanos Cocina Mexicana - Menu & Drinks Etc. Only 2 minutes from the venue. If you're looking for Mexican food to go with your beer then here you go. If you're looking for only a drink, then I'd suggest this place since some people may be turned off by it's Mexican only menu.

Constantly Pizza - Pizza Menu Etc. The CLOSEST (under a minute) place to go for PIzza, Appetizers, Subs and Salads if you want a quick bite to eat and a very short walk back. Also, please take note there are no beers here.

(Heading South)

The Common Man Menu Etc This place is heading the opposite direction from the other places I just listed. This is 10 minutes heading south from the venue. A wide variety of food and a nice looking place that offers special seating for functions.

A sample map of the area with these places in grey lettering. Concord Maps & Legends

Edit: I should also add that the Capitol Center is off of Exit 13 on Rt 93. The eating establishments are a lot closer and right off of Exit 14. So if you want to take exit 14 take a left and stay straight then take a left onto Main St which is also 202. The majority of these places will be on the left side of the street.

Secondly, if you want some familiar chain restaurants you have to find your way to Loudon Road aka Rt 9. It isn't too far at all from the venue.

Olive Garden, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, 99, Friendly's, Outback and Red Apple Buffet are all there waiting for you. Here is a map for that.

2nd Set Of Options

So who's going to Savannah? The fam and I will more than likely be at the Moon River Brewing Co. prior to the show. :cheers

Me, my dad (too bad my mom has to work in Atlanta the next day... boo), my aunt and uncle, my cousin, and her BFF. :) We're down on the floor -- row P, I think? Aunt, uncle, and cousin (and BFF) are all local, and we're all stoked!

u2roolz

Many thanks

1 lingering ? I will call Capitol and since I have aisle seats ck and see if they also sell refreshments inside.

BTW been seeing u2 since Joshua Tree (met w/ them in Boston on that tour)Fun Relaxed Conversation for 5-10 mins They were telling me they were going away for awhile Like 3 years

way too much hype from that album nationally Great Record but they made a Smart decision.

This U2 tour has to continue outside to brk even unannounced between Chicago /Toronto is 1 or2 dates here in July

Man I would be very happy w/ a 3rd short leg through their fave cities Inside in the Fall

a BIG THANK YOU for your help in NH a handful of people from BTX (Springsteen Long Term fan Website) are going to NH and Boston

I will copy and pass along

:cheers

yeah, they played the Ryman 2 years ago. I guess it makes sense that the Atlanta venue is a bit bigger cos there are a ton of major cities within driving distance. I bet there will be almost as many out of town folks as actual Atlanta folks.

i will be one of those, but my mom won't be!!

RE: Concord, NH Places To Drink & Eat or Places To Go To And Miss The Show Because There Aren't Many

Manchester, NH has a much more conducive downtown environment for getting drinks & eating bar like food etc.

Concord, NH is more of a laid back part of place where there's more odd places for niche products and the likes of one independent movie theater. Think of Concord as the bookworm to the boozer that is Manchester. :pirate

I'll tell you the few places that I know of and it's up to you to make a game time decision to go and wait for a place and risk not making it back in time for an 8p.m. show time.

If there was an opening act, I'd be more optimistic about people making it back in time. I'm thinking since it's a week night and certain people probably like to frequent these establishments and on top of that people coming into town for WIlco should make for a big cluster fuck.

Before I list the places let me tell you about the parking situation around Concord, NH. Next to the Capitol Center is a parking garage confusingly titled Concord Commons parking garage. Is this a parking garage for tenants of a local (read: several) apartment complex? I'm not really sure and the website isn't clear about it. It does state that it is .50 to park per hour which obviously will be changed for a concert. This is within distance of the venue. As are most of the bars that I'll list.

The Parking Situation : Parking isn't too bad as the roads are set up wide enough to allow slanted parking in front of these main street establishments. That being said good luck finding a spot if you miss one of these primo spots and then finding a parking garage on a side street that isn't the one that I listed above. It could cause chaos, if you spend more time picking a side street looking for places to park. That being said it's only supposedly 8 minutes walking distance from the establishment that is the farthest away to the Capitol Center. The only problem is if you come from the venue you are walking uphill to these establishments.

The Bars: (from furthest away to the closest. Heading North)

The Barley House - Menu & Drinks Etc. My best friend and his band played here about 3 years ago and it is somewhat small. The bar area is kind of long, but the back room can be tight. Picture booths crammed and framing small tables in the middle. Only an 8 minute walk according to Google Maps. This seems like the ideal place for a meet up and considering the size it may be a pain in the ass to accomplish that.

Hermanos Cocina Mexicana - Menu & Drinks Etc. Only 2 minutes from the venue. If you're looking for Mexican food to go with your beer then here you go. If you're looking for only a drink, then I'd suggest this place since some people may be turned off by it's Mexican only menu.

Constantly Pizza - Pizza Menu Etc. The CLOSEST (under a minute) place to go for PIzza, Appetizers, Subs and Salads if you want a quick bite to eat and a very short walk back. Also, please take note there are no beers here.

(Heading South)

The Common Man Menu Etc This place is heading the opposite direction from the other places I just listed. This is 10 minutes heading south from the venue. A wide variety of food and a nice looking place that offers special seating for functions.

A sample map of the area with these places in grey lettering. Concord Maps & Legends

Edit: I should also add that the Capitol Center is off of Exit 13 on Rt 93. The eating establishments are a lot closer and right off of Exit 14. So if you want to take exit 14 take a left and stay straight then take a left onto Main St which is also 202. The majority of these places will be on the left side of the street.

Secondly, if you want some familiar chain restaurants you have to find your way to Loudon Road aka Rt 9. It isn't too far at all from the venue.

Olive Garden, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, 99, Friendly's, Outback and Red Apple Buffet are all there waiting for you. Here is a map for that.

2nd Set Of Options

Man I love the VC community!

Besides going to the Moon River, a couple other places to check out while in Savannah.

the Warehouse No pictures, but the review that someone wrote says it all. It's mid way on River Walk.

You can get ya a drink and walk out on the River Walk and watch the ships (this is cool to do IMO) :w00t ...

They have live music too. A must is the Savannah Candy There is something in here for everyone.

I do hope to take a ride on the Riverboat

Besides going to the Moon River, a couple other places to check out while in Savannah.

the Warehouse No pictures, but the review that someone wrote says it all. It's mid way on River Walk.

You can get ya a drink and walk out on the River Walk and watch the ships (this is cool to do IMO) :w00t ...

They have live music too. A must is the Savannah Candy There is something in here for everyone.

I do hope to take a ride on the Riverboat

Thanks Maddie. Great info!

The Warehouse sounds like a winner. But we'll have to stay away from that Candy store at least until after the show, or my kids will be swinging from the chandelier. :lol

Thanks Maddie. Great info!

The Warehouse sounds like a winner. But we'll have to stay away from that Candy store at least until after the show, or my kids will be swinging from the chandelier. :lol

Yeah the candy would do your kids in :stunned They have so much to pick from. Wish I could send a package for all you VCers that would like some candy... :cheekkiss

Not sure how long you'll be in Savannah, the pier on Tybee is fun, there is also an old Fort on the way to Tybee, kids might like the beaches... or just watching the ships.

You can find most anything on River Walk, I like the folks that come out and play music.

Last time I was there it was Christmas time and at night on river walk it was so beautiful... :w00t There are good graveyards to visit, a walking tour of "midnight in the garden of good and evil" (if ya'll know that book or movie) :yes

I have a few addresses from some books I recently read I want to go visit and the Low house, oh yeah if your walking around, there are several "squares" throughout the downtown area... Guess ya can tell I like Savannah :w00t

ps..also you could check out Cafe Loco on Tybee, it's a great place to eat and an even better place to rock n' roll.. I've seen some great shows there, if JT wasn't so big nowadays he could play there, but days gone by I guess...

We have a 4-some going to both Savannah and ATL shows. Had already planned on doing the brewery preshow- glad to hear other VCers will be there and that it is recommended. We are staying two nights in Savannah, then heading to ATL Friday. Should be incredible!

We have a 4-some going to both Savannah and ATL shows. Had already planned on doing the brewery preshow- glad to hear other VCers will be there and that it is recommended. We are staying two nights in Savannah, then heading to ATL Friday. Should be incredible!

Where is the brewery from the venue?

You always seem to have the scoop on where the closest good beer is to a show. That place you directed me to in Asheville before the Singers show two summers ago was excellent :thumbup

Yes, Barley's is always a winner.. Especially that one in Asheville.

I guess you can call it my forte. :)

Has anyone received Providence tickets yet?

I'm still anxiously awaiting Providence tix as well. I do feel better about it having read Front Gate Ticket's policy of sending out the tix about 2 weeks prior to the event. Won't feel so good if I don't get them this week though...