East Coast Spring Tour 2010

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An evening with WILCO at CAPITOL CENTER FOR THE ARTS on APRIL 7

Critically acclaimed rock band WILCO will perform at Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord, NH on Wednesday, April 7 at 8:00 pm.

Wilco clings to the grit of the independent scene while continuing to morph and innovate, releasing a series of chart-topping albums and drawing sell-out crowds. The Boston Globe calls their performances a “pitch-perfect tangle of earthy comforts and perilous adventure…from the planet’s most radical roots band.” Wilco’s latest studio album, the Grammy-nominated Wilco (The Album) landed on many critics’ year-end polls as one of the best albums of 2009, and Rolling Stone cited Wilco’s 2002 album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot as the 3rd best album of the decade.

“The production is straightforward, but the song structures aren’t; that’s where Wilco’s idiosyncrasies still hide out.” – The New York Times

“…One of America’s most consistently interesting bands.” All Music Guide

“…Among contemporary pop’s most vital acts.” Slant Magazine

Doors open at 7pm with the show beginning promptly at 8 pm. Tickets for this all-ages event are $35 in advance, $37 day of show (plus applicable fees). Tickets go on sale Friday, January 8 at 11am online at www.wilcoworld.net or www.ccanh.com, or charge by phone at 603-225-1111. Tickets will also be available in person at the Capitol Box Office at 44 South Main Street, Concord, NH 03301.

I just posted this in the Miami show thread. This was terribly difficult to find on the venue website, but I do like the promise of a prompt 8p.m. showtime.

I drove up to Concord this weekend to check out the venue. It is very nice and a bit strange. The venue is enclosed by two red brick buildings. One is a remodeled church that is now apartments or vice versa. I don't know what the other one is. But anyways while walking up to the venue they have a nice sign hanging overhead and the walkway is stone with inscriptions for donators. There's only 4 doors to enter the building. I didn't see any exits, so they must send people the same way.

An Elaboration On The Driving Directions Done From Saturday's Memory: Taking Exit 13 from Rt 93 you will find the venue on your left (about under 5 minutes) and the streets leading to the parking garage on your right. I took a right at Theater St then proceeded to take a left towards the Capitol Commons parking garage. On one side of the garage you have Hermano's Mexican Cocina and on the other side (the farther away side) you have Cheer's (?). It appears that the parking meter is on the 3rd & 4th level of the garage, but it also states (gasp) that parking is free after 5p.m. M-F. I highly doubt that when there's events going on. (Hot Tip): If you see the building for the Capitol Commons then you are on the wrong street, you need to take a right to get to the garage.

A Brief Word On Food & Beverages: From the venue you can clearly see Constantly Pizza which looks like a big sub shop. The rest of the places seemed very far away. I always like to double the walking times from Google Maps, so I'd say anywhere from 16-25 minutes to walk to the list that I put on here last week.

P.S. When I was walking around I saw Train hanging around their tour bus. It looked like they were expecting me to come over and ask for an autograph.

hey Bill Lee

Cool choice of John Candy How did you load the pic ..?

Looking forward to Boston/NH

Would easily gone to Lupos if it was not for Easter

Enjoy Lupos s/b a Great one

Love John Candy from Blues Brothers: "Who Wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips." Good line to use when going for a round.

Loading a photo is one of the options from editing your profile, which you can access by clicking the down arrow next to your name. I think it's under "My Settings"

My wife and I are really looking forward to this show at Lupos. We saw Wilco there the same week that YHF was released. At that point it was Wilco circa Jeff, Leroy, John and Glenn. It was a pretty raw show, almost like it was a carthartic release for Tweedy. They opened with Laminated Cat which I had never heard before. Never had I been blown away by a first listen song in concert like I was that night. Jeff coaxed some mighty squeals from his guitar while singing about Halloween Candy. Another memory from that show was Jeff telling the audience that the new disc was "a hard worker" so treat it well or something along those lines. I'd say recent music history has proven him correct.

According to Front Gate my tix were sent out today, so that's a good thing. Nothing like cutting it close...

My wife and I are really looking forward to this show at Lupos. We saw Wilco there the same week that YHF was released.

I was at that show as well. I think it was my first time traveling out of town to see the band, actually. You probably know this already, but the Lupo's they'll be playing in about 10 days isn't the same place they played back in '02. Same name, different venue.

I was at that show as well. I think it was my first time traveling out of town to see the band, actually. You probably know this already, but the Lupo's they'll be playing in about 10 days isn't the same place they played back in '02. Same name, different venue.

Hey bböp

Did they improve it ?

Never Been to the old one but

The Old HOB in Cambridge

Changes for the Better when they updated and came to Boston...i

lost the closeness but kept the warm helpful mentality unless of course someone sparks up of shoots pics down in front

otherwise next to our symphony hall/ berklee performance center HOB room is arguably the 3rd best for it's size /sound. imo

BTW Been Going to the Orpheum since the late 70's as a teen and would like it to stick around Ironically the Boston Symphony Started Playing there over a 100 yrs ago

I LOVE IT

Hey bböp

Did they improve it ?

Never Been to the old one but

Depends of what you mean by "improve." I've only been to the "new" one once, maybe twice, but it's definitely a nicer and bigger (if I'm not mistaken) space. The older one, in my memory, was sort of a dump -- I seem to remember you went downstairs and there was a pole right in front of the stage -- but one with a lot of character and history to it. Kinda like CBGB's. Personally I think I would prefer that kind of place, but I'm sure the new one will be much better from the band's perspective.

Leaving out for Atlanta in 20 minutes!!!! :w00t can't believe the day is finally here!!!

This will be the longest work day ever. I have to work till at least 5pm. Then go home and change and jump on Marta. Get some food and then into the venue.

come 8pm though everything will be just fine :)

If you're looking for something to do a couple hours before the (Atlanta) show tonight, there's an exhibt of Jimi Hendrix's artwork (and other memorabilia) at the Georgian Terrace, right across the street from the Fox. I didn't even know Hendrix did visual art. some Grace Slick and Ron Wood pieces wil be on display, too. It opens at 6 pm, and I think its free.

http://www.areaarts.com/atlanta-hendrix-exhibit-march-26th-28th/

From the local paper, re: tonight's show:

http://entertainment.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-ga/events/show/93733225-wilco

Wilco

Wilco include band members 'Jeff Tweedy', 'Bob Egan', 'Glenn Kotche', 'Jay Bennett', 'John Stirratt', 'Ken Coomer', 'Max Johnston', 'Leroy Bach' and 'Nels Cline'.

:stunned

Then those folks are lucky, 'cause Jay's back from the grave to take over lead duties for a night, Nels will move to the lap slide and duke it out with Bob Egan, Leroy, Pat & Mike will do musical chairs on the keys, Ken & Glenn will each rock a double-bass drum kit, and Max's mandolin & banjo will struggle to be heard above the new expanded lineup. And the group will play nothing but Tweedy Uncle Tupelo numbers.

Then those folks are lucky, 'cause Jay's back from the grave to take over lead duties for a night, Nels will move to the lap slide and duke it out with Bob Egan, Leroy, Pat & Mike will do musical chairs on the keys, Ken & Glenn will each rock a double-bass drum kit, and Max's mandolin & banjo will struggle to be heard above the new expanded lineup. And the group will play nothing but Tweedy Uncle Tupelo numbers.

Like GasCabbie said, Pat and Mike are OUT. The only musical chairs they're doing is taking turns playing for spare change at the truck stop so they can buy bus tickets home from Savannah.

Right. I saw that their names weren't included...was just making a little joke. :thumbup

Uh, me too. I'm in a joke mood today, I guess. It's Friday, leaving work early, concert tonight, and all.

:cheers

RE: Boston Orpheum Show on April 6th.

The Red Sox are playing the Yankees at Fenway Park, so the T may be a bit crowded between 6 & 7 and around 11ish (game time finish & probably show time finish).

From the local paper, re: tonight's show:

http://entertainment.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-ga/events/show/93733225-wilco

Wilco

Wilco include band members 'Jeff Tweedy', 'Bob Egan', 'Glenn Kotche', 'Jay Bennett', 'John Stirratt', 'Ken Coomer', 'Max Johnston', 'Leroy Bach' and 'Nels Cline'.

:stunned

Maybe it's just poor grammar, and shoulj be "has included"...