Cars Can't Escape

There was downloadable finished (not demo) release on Wilcoworld, I believe it used to reside in the Roadcase section. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

EDIT: SpeedPoster beat me to it.

Can you imagine writing a song like "Cars" and then pretty much doing nothing with it? Unbelievable.

Can you imagine writing a song like "Cars" and then pretty much doing nothing with it? Unbelievable.

It's funny, I feel the exact same way. When non wilco fans ask me what their best album is, I have to qualify the answer by saying, if you take my version of YHF which deletes Radio Cure and adds Cars and Magazine, then imo YHF is their best and in the running for all time classic status. Otherwise, I tell them Being There is the best "released" album.

Yes, I dislike Radio Cure that much.

Guest Speed Racer

It's funny, I feel the exact same way. When non wilco fans ask me what their best album is, I have to qualify the answer by saying, if you take my version of YHF which deletes Radio Cure and adds Cars and Magazine, then imo YHF is their best and in the running for all time classic status. Otherwise, I tell them Being There is the best "released" album.

Cars and Magazine are so much different than the tone of YHF that they would stick out to me, thus ruining the album. It took me a long time to warm up to Radio Cure, but even still I didn't want to omit it or replace it because it's such a huge part of that album's sound.

I kind of like it when some bands' best songs are b-sides.

Cars and Magazine are so much different than the tone of YHF that they would stick out to me, thus ruining the album. It took me a long time to warm up to Radio Cure, but even still I didn't want to omit it or replace it because it's such a huge part of that album's sound.

I kind of like it when some bands' best songs are b-sides.

You're right, it changes it a ton, magazine much more than cars though, cars really fits well I think. I also like having both of these songs on an album since I find I listen to b-side compilations much less frequently. I understand why Magazine didn't make the cut but I'll never understand leaving Cars off. Maybe it was a Jeff/Jay thing, who knows. Since Jay put it on a solo record, that kind of tells me that it probably is more his tune than Jeff's

I just feel like Radio Cure sucks the life out of the first half to the point where it ruins it for me. I know i'm in the minority here with that song but hey, that's whats great about CD burners. For those interested, my order is:

IATTBYH

Kamera

Magazine

War on War

Cars

Etc.....

Have you tried using headphones and listening to it when you're in a quiet mood? Sounds good!

Tried everything. I hate disliking songs by bands I love but i guess it's ineveitable that there are some that don't hit you.

Holy crap how can you hate radio cure?

magazine is a decent song but not fantastic it doesnt have any of the depth radio cure has.

whoever made the comment about the headphones and really getting immersed in the song understands

Holy crap how can you hate radio cure?

magazine is a decent song but not fantastic it doesnt have any of the depth radio cure has.

whoever made the comment about the headphones and really getting immersed in the song understands

What can I say? Magazine, imo, is a piece of pure pop confection and I love it. Radio Cure, to me, is a dirge. I understand how making these switches changes the mood of YHF, that's why I like it. The pop of magazine and cars to me balance the record better and make it a better record. I understand what Jeff was trying to accomplish with the released sequence, I just like my alternative better.

What can I say? Magazine, imo, is a piece of pure pop confection and I love it. Radio Cure, to me, is a dirge. I understand how making these switches changes the mood of YHF, that's why I like it. The pop of magazine and cars to me balance the record better and make it a better record. I understand what Jeff was trying to accomplish with the released sequence, I just like my alternative better.

The chorus to Radio Cure isn't even remotely dirgelike. But different strokes, as they say...

Ha. The first time I listened to YHF - I distinctly remember hearing Radio Cure and instantly loving the vibe of the whole song. The words caught me and sent me into thought. The beat bounced me along in a nice little groove. Dirge is probably the last word I would have come up with - I think this song really moves, it's just in a much more subtle way.

Funny how subjective an experience listening to music can be.

Ha. The first time I listened to YHF - I distinctly remember hearing Radio Cure and instantly loving the vibe of the whole song. The words caught me and sent me into thought. The beat bounced me along in a nice little groove. Dirge is probably the last word I would have come up with - I think this song really moves, it's just in a much more subtle way.

Funny how subjective an experience listening to music can be.

Definitely... for me, it's the beginning of the song that gets me with the pounding drums

Sometimes it takes a long, long while to get into a song, album or artist. It wasn't until about a year ago that I absolutely fell in love with "Wishful Thinking." Up until then I had thought it was merely alright.

That live version from the Ashes DVD is incredible

Guest Runaway Jim

I love Radio Cure. It's not my favorite Wilco song, or my favorite song on YHF, but I can't imagine YHF without. In addition to some other compliments made about the song, I would add that Jeff's vocals are incredible on that one.

While I like Magazine, and love Cars, I agree that they'd be out of place on YHF. Especially Magazine. It's possible that a stripped-down, just Jay on keys and Jeff on vocals version, similar to what is seen in the documentary would have worked as the last song on the album, but only if it replaced Reservations, which would be wrong. Just wrong.

YHF is absolutely perfect to me as is.