Tweedy To Produce Mavis Staples Record

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I think it was Wilco's execution that missed this vibe, and the feedback I read about the album says more than a few people share this view. I think a lot of songs on SBS could have been better-executed as soul; the band brought too much "blue-eyed" and not enough "soul" to the table in my opinion. Almost every song on the album could stand on its own as a good soul tune, it just didn't happen that they recorded them that way.

I don't know if Wilco could get away with releasing a full-on soul influenced album. I think the idea might make a great E.P. or download only. I'd love to hear more horns on Wilco's current stuff and maybe some backing singers.

I was curious about how many of these were Tweedy originals. I found this article. Looks like 2 of them are.

1. You Don’t Knock (Pops Staples/Wesley Westbrook)
  2. You Are Not Alone (Jeff Tweedy)
  3. Downward Road (Pops Staples)
  4. In Christ There is No East and West (traditional; arranged by Jeff Tweedy)
  5. Creep Along, Moses (traditional)
  6. Losing You (Randy Newman)
  7. I Belong to the Band (Rev. Gary Davis)
  8. Last Train (Allen Toussaint)
  9. Only the Lord Knows (Jeff Tweedy)
  10. Wrote A Song for Everyone (John Fogerty)
  11. We’re Gonna Make It (Little Milton)
  12. Wonderful Savior (traditional)
  13. Too Close To Heaven / I'm On My Way to Heaven Anyhow (Prof. Alex E. BradfordJr./Brad Pathway)

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't that sound like Jeff singing harmony? Can't tell for sure because of the way it's mixed, but it sure sounds like it to me.

Anybody know where there might be lyrics posted?

By the way, I agree it's a beautiful song.

Doesn't that sound like Jeff singing harmony? Can't tell for sure because of the way it's mixed, but it sure sounds like it to me.

Anybody know where there might be lyrics posted?

By the way, I agree it's a beautiful song.

just tried to transcribe myself, hope i didn't butcher it too badly. feel free to adjust :thumbup

you're not alone, i'm with you, i'm going to

what's that song that can't be sung by tune?

a broken home, a broken heart, isolated and afraid

open up this is a raid

i want to get it through to you

you're not alone

you're not alone

every night i stand in your place

every tear on every face tastes the same

a broken dream, a broken heart, isolated and afraid

open up this is a raid

i'm gonna get it through to you

you're not alone

an open hand, an open heart

there's no need to be afraid

open up this is a raid

I want to get it through to you

you're not alone

i want to get it through to you

you're not alone

i'm gonna get it through to you

you're not alone

Jeff sang a song he presented as "a song you probably never have heard of" in his solo set in Madrid, Spain, 7-7- 2010. A beautiful, B-T-esque song. I only remember that the word 'christmas' was in the first strophes. But no reference to it in the Spanish reviews of the show I've read(e.g. http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Enorme/Jeff/Tweedy/elpepucul/20100708elpepucul_3/Tes). My feeling is that is a "Mavis song"

Jeff sang a song he presented as "a song you probably never have heard of" in his solo set in Madrid, Spain, 7-7- 2010. A beautiful, B-T-esque song. I only remember that the word 'christmas' was in the first strophes. But no reference to it in the Spanish reviews of the show I've read(e.g. http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Enorme/Jeff/Tweedy/elpepucul/20100708elpepucul_3/Tes). My feeling is that is a "Mavis song"

My guess is that it's "So Much Wine," the Handsome Family cover.

I had nothing to say on Christmas day when you threw all your clothes in the snow.

When you burnt your hair, knocked over chairs, I just tried to stay out of your way.

But when you fell asleep with blood on your teeth, I got in my car and drove away.

Listen to me, Butterfly, there's only so much wine you can drink in one life

and it will never be enough to save you from the bottom of your glass.

Where the state highway starts I stopped my car.

I got out and stared up at the stars.

As meteors died and shot cross the sky, I thought about your sad, shining eyes.

I came back for my clothes when the sun finally rose but you were still passed out on the floor.

My guess is that it's "So Much Wine," the Handsome Family cover.

I had nothing to say on Christmas day when you threw all your clothes in the snow.

When you burnt your hair, knocked over chairs, I just tried to stay out of your way.

But when you fell asleep with blood on your teeth, I got in my car and drove away.

Listen to me, Butterfly, there's only so much wine you can drink in one life

and it will never be enough to save you from the bottom of your glass.

Where the state highway starts I stopped my car.

I got out and stared up at the stars.

As meteors died and shot cross the sky, I thought about your sad, shining eyes.

I came back for my clothes when the sun finally rose but you were still passed out on the floor.

Yes, that's it! How could I forget about "there's only so much wine you can drink in one life"? I drank too much...beer.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Mavis Staples is 'Not Alone': She has God and Jeff Tweedy (USA Today)

Not sure about the 'first outside act to record at the Loft'. I thought Richard Swift did. No to mention that Letters For Santa winner from the first year :pirate I did have an mp3 of 'Shine' (seem to recall Mike was on it as well as JT), but I think it's slipped down the back of the settee or something. It was very good anyway. That's going to be some EBay prize CD in about 2040.