MD sold out in a minute?

My bigger problem is despite the supposed rabid demand, the audience won't be great.

I'm sure some people will sit the entire show. I'm sure others will talk through it, etc.

It just sucks because you'd assume that playing a small venue in a large Metro area would guarantee a great audience, but it certainly doesn't.

This is totally true. I went to one of the 9:30 shows 2 years ago and despite the fact that tickets were being scalped for over $100 (I tried to buy some for the other night but couldn't find a seller at that price), the crowd was pretty lame. Lots of folks who were clearly there to see and be seen, talking the whole time. I shouldn't let it bother me, but when Jeff comments about the chatters from the stage, I know it's not just me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an unrealistically small venue for Wilco at this point, unless it's a surprise show (think Radiohead at 9:30 after Tibetan Freedom Festival). I'd really like to know if TM has a relationship to other outlets, which always get tickets. Just saw them on stubhub for $118-600. We failed at presale (kept getting bumped out), then between two people using four computers for over an hour this morning.

I believe I'll be watching Ashes that night...

Wilco usually plays the 9:30club when they are on the east coast, although small venues might be unrealistic... they do make for phenomenal shows. and i am pretty sure ticketmaster owns stubhub.

Or is there just a board rule that we all have to be blindly optimistic? I'm really excited for the show, but I just hope that the people who would prefer to have a dinner party just have one instead of hosting it at a rock show.

There is a board rule that we have to understand that what one person thinks is the best way to enjoy a rock and roll music event is not the same as the way others might think is the best way to enjoy a rock and roll music event.

What are you talking about? I don't get the sarcasm.

I'm new to living in DC and go to a couple shows a week. Some audiences are great, some are good, and rarely they are terrible. The Wilco audience at the Wolf Trap fell into the latter category. People sat the entire show. People chatted like they were a baseball game. It's a concert- stand up, shut up, and have some fun.

All I was saying was that it's sort of counter-intuitive that a show that sells out right away (which would imply an energized, excited fanbase) would have a so-so audience. Yet that happenned at the Wolf Trap. I'm hoping that it doesn't here.

I don't think my post was difficult to understand. Did you disagree with it or misread it? Or is there just a board rule that we all have to be blindly optimistic? I'm really excited for the show, but I just hope that the people who would prefer to have a dinner party just have one instead of hosting it at a rock show.

I've been living in DC for about 10 years now and find the crowds at shows here to be fairly great. you gotta remember that Wolf Trap is pretty much a venue to host a dinner party at a rock show. I dunno, I am surprised that the show is 2 months away and people are already hating on the crowd. maybe go to the show, enjoy it, and then decide if the crowd is lame or not.

Wilco usually plays the 9:30club when they are on the east coast, although small venues might be unrealistic... they do make for phenomenal shows. and i am pretty sure ticketmaster owns stubhub.

I was at both 9:30 shows (as well Merriweather, Wolf Trap, Baltimore Opera, Durham, Delaware...)

If TM owns stubhub, isn't that illegal? My husband seems to think they had a problem with racketeering a few years ago.

Oh, I understood your post quite well.

Your "bigger problem" is the audience at a show that hasn't even happened yet.

My "bigger problem" is I don't even have a ticket to get in the door.

I happen to perceive my problem to be bigger than yours and I was just poking fun at you. Lighten up! Enjoy the show. I hope you are surrounded by people enjoying the show exactly to your wishes. And I really mean that, too. ;)

I was at both 9:30 shows (as well Merriweather, Wolf Trap, Baltimore Opera, Durham, Delaware...)

If TM owns stubhub, isn't that illegal? My husband seems to think they had a problem with racketeering a few years ago.

I dunno. I always thought stubhub all on its own, regardless of who owns it, is illegal. but that's just me.

Oh, I understood your post quite well.

Your "bigger problem" is the audience at a show that hasn't even happened yet.

My "bigger problem" is I don't even have a ticket to get in the door.

I happen to perceive my problem to be bigger than yours and I was just poking fun at you. Lighten up! Enjoy the show. I hope you are surrounded by people enjoying the show exactly to your wishes. And I really mean that, too. ;)

I was trying to generate discussion on why people would buy up tickets so quickly to a show that they really don't even want to see (e.g. what happened at the Wolf Trap).

I honestly don't expect anything of the people around me. I really don't care, as long as they don't bitch about me wanting to stan,d I won't bitch about them checking their Blackberry every five minutes.

That being said, I am hoping for a fun audience. Rock and roll really loses its appeal when people treat loud concerts like a Broadway show.

I was trying to generate discussion on why people would buy up tickets so quickly to a show that they really don't even want to see (e.g. what happened at the Wolf Trap).

I honestly don't expect anything of the people around me. I really don't care, as long as they don't bitch about me wanting to stan,d I won't bitch about them checking their Blackberry every five minutes.

That being said, I am hoping for a fun audience. Rock and roll really loses its appeal when people treat loud concerts like a Broadway show.

Do you have a crystal ball or something?

I just got shut out of both Monclair NJ shows.......got some bullshit message at first (at 12:01) that the server is too busy....then it said change the amount of tickets......so when I put in for one ticket, it said change the amount of tickets........bullshit....... :dontgetit

Head, I feel your pain on the Wolf Trap show. We had seats, but we set up on the lawn so we could have dinner, etc. The chatter on the lawn was unbearable and it was nearly the same experience when we moved to our seats in the pavilion. I'm not sure what was going on there that evening, but it was a shame.

The Strathmore is a lovely venue. While I've only seen a few shows there, I found audiences to be pretty respectful.

Here's hoping we can all locate a ticket or two!

Based on the venue, I'd say a fair number of the audience will be sitting.

But on the other hand, Wilco has more than a few songs that really are sitting songs, like Radio Cure. You have to be a pretty hard core fan, and even a harder core dancer to remain on your feet for that one!