eMusic latest additions

I was happy to see this last night! Booster packs are on sale too @ 50 dowloads for $19.99.

Looks like pretty much the entire catalog for Neil Young, Flaming Lips, the Replacements, Built to Spill, Husker Du and so on. Some good deals too, like Neil Young "Decade" only costs 12 credits (or about $4.80), "Perfect From Now On" is only 8 credits, none of the Husker Du's are more than 12 credits...

I'm happy I didn't use any of my credits this month.

https://www.emusic.com/account/notification.html

It’s huge! It’s massive! It’s here!

It’s a colossal new addition to the eMusic catalog! Whatever music you’re into there is much to be excited about, with more than 10,000 titles from lables including Warner Bros., Atlantic Records, Nonesuch, Rhino, Roadrunner, Epitaph, and Rykodisc. We will be adding many more titles in the coming weeks – check back regularly to see what’s new.

You can browse selected highlights below. Or visit our guide to the best of the new arrivals.

Happy listening!

Canceling my emusic membership has proven to by a financially shrewd move. They send me '75 free downloads to come back' emails a few times a year. I always rejoin, dl the 75 and then cancel. A couple of months later, I get an email... :cheers :thumbup

Canceling my emusic membership has proven to by a financially shrewd move. They send me '75 free downloads to come back' emails a few times a year. I always rejoin, dl the 75 and then cancel. A couple of months later, I get an email... :cheers :thumbup

I canceled in December, and I have been eagerly awaiting such an invitation to come back, though I imagine I have a ways to go. The free month they gave me in Nov. was nice, but 75 downloads is REALLY exciting.

This year I've decided to go back to buying physical copies of my music, but I'm not above some free downloads. I especially look forward to adding to my small Tom Waits collection . . . but not enough to actually rejoin.

I was happy to see this last night!...

Looks like pretty much the entire catalog for Neil Young, Flaming Lips, the Replacements, Built to Spill, Husker Du and so on. Some good deals too, like Neil Young "Decade" only costs 12 credits (or about $4.80), "Perfect From Now On" is only 8 credits, none of the Husker Du's are more than 12 credits...

I'm pretty excited about the expanded catalog, too, but it does come with hard-to-ignore strings: The membership plans are being altered, and prices are going up. At the end of the month, my current plan--which I've had and loved for three years--will automatically convert to a significantly less awesome plan. My current plan is 75 downloads a month for $191.90 yearly, but it will become 35 downloads a month for $151.99 yearly. True, I'm paying 20% less, but I'm receiving less than half as many tracks. In other words, I'm going from 21 cents a track to 36 cents a track.

I haven't yet decided whether the trade-off is worth it.

Heh, I remember complaining when they first put restrictions on the number of monthly downloads. (used to be totally unlimited once upon a time, albeit with a somewhat limited selection that encouraged you get really adventurous about trying music you've never ever remotely heard of, but hey, why not, its unlimited for like under $10/mo!)

What's interesting about this announcement is that Epitaph and Rykodisc definitely used to be available there, then disappeared and are now evidently back. Must have been some contract disputes. Warner and Atlantic, though, is fairly shocking. Big Name artists used to be fairly rare there.

Kudos to them for continuing to grow their collection--and the pricing still beats paying a-la-carte at iTunes. Even so, I've been threatening to quit for years...but I always end up keeping it around because, heck, cutting that $10 or so out of my budget won't save me THAT much $. Maybe I should opt for the quit/rejoin/quit/rejoin plan! :lol

i always tend to get stuff on a whim at emusic only to not really like it and delete it. also, i think the quality of their mp3s is less than stellar, despite what they say. it's good if you want to be a completist on some things though.

• 8 months later...

More big changes at emusic.

The good news is that they are adding more than 250,000 tracks from Universal Music Group to its catalog.

The bad news is that the pricing is getting more complicated and, as best as I can tell, more expensive.

I will see how this goes for a month or two but this may be it for me. It used to be a good and inexpensive way to hear new stuff but unless there is a lot of Universal Music Group stuff I like (and as long as they continue to not allow unused downloads to carry over) it may not be worth it anymore.

I will see how this goes for a month or two but this may be it for me. It used to be a good and inexpensive way to hear new stuff but unless there is a lot of Universal Music Group stuff I like (and as long as they continue to not allow unused downloads to carry over) it may not be worth it anymore.

I have been loyal to eMusic for years, but this might be it for me, too.

Yeah, it looks like the days of 4-5 dollar albums are coming to an end. Looking at the announcement in detail, it says that new albums will be $7.49, which is a 50% increase (or more).

They make sure to compare themselves to iTunes, and state how much cheaper they still are, but this still hurts.

ithink the quality of their mp3s is less than stellar, despite what they say.

Do you mean the quality of the digital files themselves? Because those are supplied by the labels and are identical to what you would get at Amazon or another MP3 source (iTunes tracks are in AAC format, so are encoded differently).

Do you mean the quality of the digital files themselves? Because those are supplied by the labels and are identical to what you would get at Amazon or another MP3 source (iTunes tracks are in AAC format, so are encoded differently).

there probably isn't any difference. i just think i hear a difference, which if probably a delusion :-)

• 1 month later...

So the big Universal Music Group roll-out has been delayed and meanwhile music from Domino, Merge and the Beggars Group family (which includes Matador) of labels will no longer be available on eMusic as of Nov. 18, 2010.

This is going from bad to worse ...

Yep. This is the last straw for me, I think. Most of the albums I buy are from labels like those.

I signed up in July 2006. At one point my plan was 75 tracks a month, at 21 cents each. That was brilliant and I loved it, often taking chances on unfamiliar bands. The recent changes, though, have chipped away at that plan, and now that same plan offers about 20 tracks at 89 cents each (with worse content, too). The subscription model doesn't really work with those numbers; I'm better off just looking for better deals elsewhere outside of any subscription.

My plan is annual, and doesn't expire until July. If I cancel now, will I get a refund for the remaining months that were pre-paid?

Since both eMusic and Metacritic.com have turned to suck, it's been a bad year for my Internet.

I scammed them for awhile like that too, but it's so easy to illegally download music these days sometimes it's not even worth mucking with e-music.

--Mike

Statement from Merge

As of tomorrow, November 18, the Merge catalog will be removed from eMusic.

We at Merge are longtime fans of eMusic; it has for years been one of the premiere places to discover new and independent music, and their editorial is among the best around. We are truly grateful for their coverage, and have enjoyed working with them for many years.

Unfortunately, eMusic’s unilateral changes in an effort to bring on the major labels has created a situation where it would be harmful to the interests of Merge and our artists to continue our partnership at this time.

We encourage those who regularly purchase Merge titles from eMusic to head to your local independent record store, the Merge Digital Store, or one of our other digital music partners.

In the annals of bad site redesigns, metacritic's has to be up near the top.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't even go to that site anymore.

I'm probably done with emusic, too. I'll probably get a rhapsody membership. For $10/month, I can listen to anything I want to. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.