Artists you used to hate

I got to thinking about the "blasphemy" and what "single artist would you eliminate threads" and was wondering......What would be an example of an artist(s) that I didn't like, or was at least ambivalent about but now I really dig them? There are countless threads discussing how some music/artists have held up well and others, not so much. I know there are bands out there that I used to like but now can't stand. But what about the opposite? I'll add the caveat that maybe you think a band's current releases suck (say R.E.M.) but perhaps you didn't think much of them in 1987 and now you love those records from the IRS years.

For me, it's Oasis. Never thought much of them 15 years ago. Other than they were a bunch of smarmy English pricks. About 2 years ago, something clicked and now I dig 'em.

What say you VCers? Anyone out there you used to dismiss but now are maybe a fan?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of ambivalent about Uncle Tupelo at first. I found them by way of Wilco in the late 90s, so they were already history by then, and I was only familiar with Jeff's work with Wilco (which is, IMHO, better than most of his UT work).

I was truly put off by Jay's voice at first -- and was later stunned to see people posting on the internet that he was their favorite singer! Different strokes, I guess -- but I suffered through it long enough to actually get to appreciate him somewhat ... though the only time I have ever listened to him sing more than five songs in a row was probably the one time I saw him live.

Anyway, I ultimately developed an appreciation for the band that grew to quite a collection of shows in addition to the available studio recordings. For someone who started off ambivalent, I sure grew to like them quite a bit. :lol

Tom Petty is the first one that pops into my head. For whatever reason he really annoyed the shit out of me in the late 70s early/mid-80s. Wasn't until I started really listening to some of his lesser-known tunes that I began to appreciate him and even his more popular stuff. I think the guy has put out some amazing stuff over the span of his career.

I am 100% ashamed to admit this but I would have to say Grateful Dead. I never hated them, they just were not on my radar really. Now I'm driving the wife and friends crazy trying to turn them on to it, I'm spending hours dissecting the guitar parts. It seems amazing to me now but like many people I thought they were just a bunch of boring instrumental noodlers so never gave them much of a chance. Now I can't picture going more than a week without listening to them. I have this warped sense that the only reason anyone would not like them is because they have not listened to them. Just because that was my experience.

Pisses me off all the years I went without but better late than never.

Tom Petty is the first one that pops into my head. For whatever reason he really annoyed the shit out of me in the late 70s early/mid-80s. Wasn't until I started really listening to some of his lesser-known tunes that I began to appreciate him and even his more popular stuff. I think the guy has put out some amazing stuff over the span of his career.

That's a pretty good answer. I might have to agree with you there. I never gave two shits about TP & the HBs - during that time I just thought they were radio-friendly pop music (which I REALLY despised then). Then I saw them with Dylan as his backing band in about '86 and I realized they were a BAND in the truest sense of the word. They really did justice to Bob's music.

They're still WAY overplayed on AOR but TP has written a ton of really catchy songs. And of course my oldest kid thinks they are fantastic - hell, she could be listening to some horrible swill.

This won't get too much backup around here, but the Foo Fighters. I'd hear a song on the radio every now and then and think "Yeah, I like this song enough to not turn the channel and maybe sing along." Then about a year and a half ago I was flipping around on the TV and came across a FF's concert. Oh, there's that one song I like. Hey, I really like that one too. Wait a minute! I love (nearly) every song I've heard so far! Catchy and rockin' all at once.

Yeah, it's what some would call 'jock rock.' I think of it as more just good ol' hard rock. Plus, Dave Grohl is just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

I once loathed Queen, but have grown to appreciate them. They'll never be a favorite band of mine, but I now enjoy hearing certain Queen songs on the radio. Probably due to nostalgia (I grew up in the '70s).

I really didn't like Andrew Bird the first several times I heard his stuff (and I even saw him live with Bowl of Fire). Then his music evolved, and by the time he released Armchair Apocrypha, I was a fan.

I got into R.E.M. sometime in the 1990s, and although I seldom listen to them now, I still think they were a great band.

I also got into Radiohead over the past few years. Although, I think O.K. Computer (or half of it, really) is the albums I like the best.

There was a time of course, when I would have never listened to either of those bands.

There are probably some more, but that is what comes to mind at the moment.

This won't get too much backup around here, but the Foo Fighters. I'd hear a song on the radio every now and then and think "Yeah, I like this song enough to not turn the channel and maybe sing along." Then about a year and a half ago I was flipping around on the TV and came across a FF's concert. Oh, there's that one song I like. Hey, I really like that one too. Wait a minute! I love (nearly) every song I've heard so far! Catchy and rockin' all at once.

Yeah, it's what some would call 'jock rock.' I think of it as more just good ol' hard rock. Plus, Dave Grohl is just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Not from me. I love the Foo Fighters. Always have. Catchy rockers are fun. Remember Jay Bennett?

I have a really bad track record in this area. I have initially disliked many of my favorite bands. I think M. Ward is the one I most recently came around to.

The two biggest ones for me are Wilco and Son Volt. I initially heard them both on VH1 as a teenager during the 90's. I was into mainstream alternative rock and pop rock at the time - Bush, Collective Soul, eventually Pearl Jam. I liked my singers to have long hair - really, I would sit in front of the TV and wait for a guy with the right look. Son Volt wasn't glossy enough for me (musically or visually), and Wilco seemed like they were trying too hard.

Thankfully my taste greatly improved during my later college years. I'm always late to jump on the bandwagon, but at least I get there eventually!

I never really liked Steely Dan throughout high school and most of college. Then I found out that they got their name from a dildo mentioned in Borrough's Naked Lunch and I decided to listen closer. I realized that under that smooth sound was some terse sarcasm and a great wit. And then I started to hear that sound differently, too and how brilliantly the songs were put together.

And, damn I love the Dan!!!

Others that I had to come around on, and did (thanks to a couple of smokey nights):

My Bloody Valentine, Stereolab

Not that I ever hated him, but when I was a kid, Springsteen was a joke to me. I was about 11 when Born In The USA was huge, and my young mind was not privy to the intricacies and hard truths built into the title track. All I heard was a jingoistic rallying cry that I equated to the things that smelled like bullshit to me: ads for McDonalds that showed rows of wheat fields and sunrises, Ronald Reagan chopping wood in a t-shirt and jeans, the idea that all Russians wanted to nuke me to death. As a result, all of his work was easily dismissible. The live video for "Rosalita" seemed to go on forever - no matter how long I kept the TV tuned to another station, when I flipped back to Night Flight or Hot Hit Video, Bruce was still bounding around the burgundy stage, drawing out this long boring song and stealing precious airtime from "Hold Me Now" or "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".

I know better now.

(not that the production of Born In The USA is in any way forgivable)

When I was a kid, for whatever reason, I didn't like the Kinks. I think it was because I hated the song Lola, for whatever reason.

I love the Kinks now.

Also - couldn't really stand Bob Marley for a long time. I think it was because his Legend album was played by every dorm doofus and frat fuck when I went to college. Now I love him - I would put Exodus in my top 20 all time.

I was indifferent to a lot of 60s and 70s stuff growing up in the 80s listening to punk, Bowie, Velvets, etc. Never hated Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Springsteen, but never gave 'em a chance. Now I love all 3. I can't think of anyone I used to really, really hate who I like now.

Guest Runaway Jim

The Rolling Stones

I never liked them growing up, in high school, or in college. People always raved about them. And it's not like I didn't give them a chance - I was very familiar with their music and even caught them live at the United Center circa '99 (free ticket). I just couldn't stand them. I think part of me felt it was either "Beatles or Stones?", and I'd chosen Beatles. I realize now that that is just plain stupid. "Both" is the only answer to that question.

A combination of two things swayed me - Phish's version of The Loving Cup and hearing Beast of Burden every time I went to the bar. Once I started to dig those tunes, I gave them another chance. And I'm happier than a pig in shit that I did. Beast of Burden remains my favorite of their tunes, and one of my favorite songs of all time.

Prince: When I was much, much younger I was very unknowledgable about music...but assumed I new everything there was to know about everything. Therefore I classified Prince as horrible 80s pop and refused to engage with his music at all. Then I grew up.

Bruce Springsteen: As above but replace '80s pop' with '80s rock'.

Jane's Addiction: Sometimes, again when you are young and foolish, you would dislike a band or artist for ridiculous, non-music related, reasons. In this instance I disliked Jane's Addiction purely because my brother liked them and had the gall to recommend them to me. My response to my brother was something like: "I'm fifteen years old. I think I know what music I like. I don't like Jane's Addiction. They are rubbish". Once again...I was wrong.

Reading the above I realise that I was a bit of a knob in my teanage years. I hope you can all relate to this horrible form of misplaced musical snobbery, or if not, at least forgive me.

Jane's Addiction: Sometimes, again when you are young and foolish, you would dislike a band or artist for ridiculous, non-music related, reasons. In this instance I disliked Jane's Addiction purely because my brother liked them and had the gall to recommend them to me.

That reminds me - I halfheartedly hated The Pixies for the same reason. My brother disliked They Might Be Giants, so I picked one of his favorites to hate. My heart was never really in it, but I stood strong. Broke down once Doolittle came out.

There's nothing wrong with liking anything Dave Grohl is involved in. The man is wonderful.

^^There's another one I was ignorant about. Neil Young. I remember watching Rolling Stone's 25th Anniversary special on ABC at my friend's house, and during footage of Neil rocking the fuck out of Like A Hurricane or Cinnamon Girl, in jeans and a flannel w/the arms cut off, I, thinking he was sooooooooo uncool, said I never liked him and I didn't see the appeal. My friend's dad looked at me like I just told him that- umm...well, that Neil Young sucks. I'll never forget that face.

^^There's another one I was ignorant about. Neil Young. I remember watching Rolling Stone's 25th Anniversary special on ABC at my friend's house, and during footage of Neil rocking the fuck out of Like A Hurricane or Cinnamon Girl, in jeans and a flannel w/the arms cut off, I, thinking he was sooooooooo uncool, said I never liked him and I didn't see the appeal. My friend's dad looked at me like I just told him that- umm...well, that Neil Young sucks. I'll never forget that face.

I can tell from your other post that you grew up a communist. That must have been hard.