Your ranking of Wilco albums

Wilco album rankings  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wilco album did you buy first? (If you download single tracks, the album from which you've downloaded most tracks)

2. 2. Which Wilco album do you listen to the most (as of today)?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought this was incorrect [double albums counting as two] but this article clears things up a bit:

http://idolator.com/5051293/toppling-the-wall-the-farce-of-double+counting-in-the-riaas-all+time-platinum-list

And by the same token, Kicking Television, also a double album, sold the least (hard)copies...

AGIB

YHF

WTA

SBS

ST

BT

AM

I had a really weird moment in Wilco fandom when one of my buddies put on Being There when a few of us were drinking beer and hanging out. I'd always thought of it as this daring, ambitious step forward for them (Misunderstood) sprinkled with new American classics (Far, Far, Away) and then I realized listening front to back how tepid that album is. I think AM and BT are more 'dad rock' then anything else they've done. Total MOR hum along easy going pop/classic rock with a few moments of undeniable brilliance, but to me as a crafted piece of art that I can interact with they are both so much more dull, they have so many less fascinating lyrical, and musical nooks and crannies for me to peer into. I am well aware that the majority of the people around here would strongly disagree with that take on BT, and up to about three months ago I would too, but I guess we all change tastes sometimes.

1) A Ghost is Born

2) Summerteeth

3) Sky Blue Sky

4) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5) Being There

6) Wilco (The Album)

7) Kicking Television

8) A.M.

Usually YHF was on top. But, after the Chicago residency shows heard from Owl and Bear, I have to admit that the original YHF CD sounds to me “anemic” (paraphrasing Jeff talking on the sound of AGIB at the time of SBS release) and I much prefer the live versions of those songs

I had a really weird moment in Wilco fandom when one of my buddies put on Being There when a few of us were drinking beer and hanging out. I'd always thought of it as this daring, ambitious step forward for them (Misunderstood) sprinkled with new American classics (Far, Far, Away) and then I realized listening front to back how tepid that album is. I think AM and BT are more 'dad rock' then anything else they've done. Total MOR hum along easy going pop/classic rock with a few moments of undeniable brilliance, but to me as a crafted piece of art that I can interact with they are both so much more dull, they have so many less fascinating lyrical, and musical nooks and crannies for me to peer into.

Interesting, BT was a huge album for me and while at various points when other albums have come out, i thought it was surpassed as their best, I keep coming back to it over time. For me, it's still just a great record of great tunes and while I never thought of it as daring, Misunderstood was daring for them in breaking the alt country label, I still think it works as an 80 minute statement on rock 'n roll and rock 'n fandom. BT songs are still the most excited I get when they play them live. They may have albums that are more ambitious or have better lyrics and even some better songs but to me, none with a better overall collection of songs than BT. Anyway, big surprise here:

BT

YHF

Summerteeth

MA 1&2 combined with just the Wilco tunes; it's a cop out, I know, but they are pretty great songs.

Ghost by a hair over

SBS

AM

W(TA)

If it wasn't an even bigger cop out than combining MA 1&2, I'd put the YHF demos with Ken Coomer before Summerteeth. It may be Summerteeth 2 in a lot of ways but that isn't a bad thing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Summerteeth

Being There

AM

A Ghost Is Born

Sky Blue Sky

Wilco (The Album)

#2 & #3 are so close they can be interchangeable

T1. AGIB and YHF (go back-and-forth on this one, might never decide)

3. SBS (is "You Are My Face" one of the most beautiful -- and kickass -- songs ever, or what?)

4. W(TA) (perfect amount of "Americana" for my taste)

5. BT

6. ST

7. AM (is this the wrong place to admit I don't even own this?)

Man I can't wait to see these guys again ... Montreal and Durham!

1) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002)

2) A Ghost is Born (2004)

3) Being There (1996)

4) Summerteeth (1999)

5) Sky Blue Sky (2007)

6) Wilco (The Album) (2009)

7) Kicking Television (2005)

8) A.M. (1995)

I view them in tiers. The first tier are among the best records ever produced. The Second Tier are in the top 50 of my favorites. And the third tier is better than most records you will ever hear.

Tier One

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

A Ghost is Born

Summerteeth

Tier Two

Kicking Television

Wilco (The Album)

Being There

Tier Three

AM

Sky Blue Sky

YHF

ST

BT

AGIB

SBS

AM

W(TA)

CORRECT!

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2. Summerteeth

3. Being There

4. A Ghost Is Born

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. AM

7. Wilco (The Album)

3. SBS (is "You Are My Face" one of the most beautiful -- and kickass -- songs ever, or what?)

:yes