Fish in a barrel. Again my fellow Wilco fans, I must respectfully ask you, why?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you provide some concrete examples of situations in which minorities have been afforded rights not extended to the majority?

Used to be that only property owners (minority) could vote.

Nowadays, are you telling me that the poor (majority) have the same rights as the rich (minority)?

you made a point that Obama couldn't possibly run up the deficit the way Bush did, now you've qualified your point to mention only foreign debt. again, you sure about your point that Obama couldn't possibly raise the deficit more than Bush?

No, my point is that Obama is painted as already having been responsible for the debt which is flat out untrue but has gained great currency among the GOP.

Bush was the first president to go into the till for deficit spending since ... Clinton balanced the budget.

Obama went into debt to bail out the banks. What was the alternative? He financed shovel-ready projects to get things moving. Big business is playing tight with the purse strings, so he's likely going to have to go to the till again to create jobs. Meanwhile he's cutting spending, which is something that couldn't be said for the previous GOP president and Congress.

And any move he faces will be met with negative spin, lies and inaction from the "Part of No."

The chart I used came from the Democratic party, so you would immediately shut it down, even though the numbers are there to prove it. But clinging to lies and counting on people believing them is a much better path towards "mission accomplished"!

Guest Speed Racer

Nowadays, are you telling me that the poor (majority) have the same rights as the rich (minority)?

Glancing at the Bill of Rights briefly, I'd have to say yes. Do the rich have more opportunities? Yes. More power? Yes. More rights? No.

Obama went into debt to bail out the banks. What was the alternative? He financed shovel-ready projects to get things moving. Big business is playing tight with the purse strings, so he's likely going to have to go to the till again to create jobs. Meanwhile he's cutting spending, which is something that couldn't be said for the previous GOP president and Congress.

Alternative History Alert

Actually Bush bailed out the banks to the tune of about $250b with the passage of the TARP program in the fall of 2008. Obama owns the rest of the TARP spending and all of the Stimulus spending. By his own numbers the jobs created by those so called "shovel ready projects" have cost us on average $500,000 each. Net net I think you'll have a hard time showing that his administration is cutting spending.

Are you bored? Is that what this is?

no, are you?

No, my point is that Obama is painted as already having been responsible for the debt which is flat out untrue but has gained great currency among the GOP.

Bush was the first president to go into the till for deficit spending since ... Clinton balanced the budget.

And any move he faces will be met with negative spin, lies and inaction from the "Part of No."

The chart I used came from the Democratic party, so you would immediately shut it down, even though the numbers are there to prove it. But clinging to lies and counting on people believing them is a much better path towards "mission accomplished"!

he's painted with attacks of raising the deficit (more than the previous president? cant)

deficit and debt are two different measurements. your point was that Obama CAN'T raise the deficit more than the previous president (Bush). If that is not a correct assertion of your point, then say so.

Used to be that only property owners (minority) could vote.

I sort of agree with this, but as Lauren alluded to, I think wealthy (and famous) folks are often afforded privileges, not rights, the rest of us are not – but I get the sense that JohnO had other minority groups in mind when he posted what he posted.

Guest Speed Racer

Conversely, it's probably a lot easier to shoplift if you're not Winona Ryder; a lot fewer people will find out you woke up passed out in your neighbor's bed if you're not Robert Downey, Jr.; probably easier to fudge a few percent of taxes owed if you're not cheating the IRS out of millions. Us in the poor, unfamous majority do have a few privleges of our own.

I sort of agree with this, but as Lauren alluded to, I think wealthy (and famous) folks are often afforded privileges, not rights, the rest of us are not – but I get the sense that JohnO had other minority groups in mind when he posted what he posted.

You are mistaken, I never mentioned 'minority groups' in my post.

Guest Speed Racer

Attempting to protect the rights of some special group in some manner differently than you do for others is the very definition of unequal rights.

Okay then, fair enough. Could you please expand on what "special groups" might be treated differently?

Okay then, fair enough. Could you please expand on what "special groups" might be treated differently?

Go back and read the post.

Guest Speed Racer

Go back and read the post.

Opinions are like assholes, but you don't have to be. :thumbup

If you read MY post, you'll see I'm asking you to explain what you meant when you wrote that; clearly, I found your post to be insufficient. GON was asking you what you meant; he found your post to be insufficient. You can either explain it or not. I'd say you don't have to be a dick about it, but your post history has shown you don't seem to have much choice in the matter.

I find the reading comprehension of some here seriously lacking so let me help those that are challenged. I did not single out any specific group in my post because my statement applies to ANY special group.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny. If people consistently misunderstand you, it probably means you're not explaining yourself very well. I know you'll likely reply with something about my ability/the board's ability to effectively read your posts, but if everyone else always seems to be the problem, that's likely not the case.

Obama is saying the fact that we dumped 700+ billion into our economy, our economy is not dying anymore. Duh! It we could just all borrow money and not have to work for it, then why would anyone have jobs? Of course if you borrow or print money when you need it, it's gonna help.

What happens when that runs out?

deficit and debt are two different measurements. your point was that Obama CAN'T raise the deficit more than the previous president (Bush). If that is not a correct assertion of your point, then say so.

I meant he has not raised it more than the previous president, which is the complaint. He is blamed for the current deficit which has to date received its largest gains under the Bush administration.

Thanks for helping me clarify.

Obama is saying the fact that we dumped 700+ billion into our economy, our economy is not dying anymore. Duh! It we could just all borrow money and not have to work for it, then why would anyone have jobs? Of course if you borrow or print money when you need it, it's gonna help.

What happens when that runs out?

Not true. In fact he has mused that another infusion will be necessary.

On the subject of "borrowing money and not having to work for it," can we consider on whose watch the sub-prime debacle happened. A look at the Dow Jones over the past decade shows a collapse and a rebound to pre-Bush administration levels.

Obama is blamed for not sorting out the banks, but first he had to sort out the financial problem.

I'm not saying he's better than pre-packaged cheese but don't pin stuff on him that isn't true, and don't lay 41 bodies at his feet whose only sign of life is "no" and then say he isn't getting anything done.

The politics of no is cozy, but it's as wrong as it was over the six years it the GOP administration and the GOP-led Congress dumped us in the mess we're in.