Ampeg Dan Armstrong Lucite

I have been looking into the '69 Ampeg Dan Armstrong Lucite guitar and have yet to chat with anybody who has had the opportunity to play the original or the recent reissues. Anyone?

I have always wondered about these as well. Plenty of people have played them. I remember Dave Grohl playing one in concert with the Foo Fighters and it sounded great. I have heard they are a bit heavy.

I have always wondered about these as well. Plenty of people have played them. I remember Dave Grohl playing one in concert with the Foo Fighters and it sounded great. I have heard they are a bit heavy.

Thanks for the input Moss...but I'm looking for those who have set specific digits on the '69 or the reissue...I would and could go days on those who have seen an heard...but I want those retaining first experience...

EDIT: Sorry, might have had a couple drinks when the rudeness came out...my apologies

I've never played one plugged in, but I used to share a practice space with a band that had one, and I'd pick it up from time to time. It felt like a very solid, playable instrument. It had a single pickup that was mounted on a slider, and you could position it anywhere you wanted between the bridge and the neck. Are they all like that? I thought that was a really ingenious feature.

Thanks for the input Moss...but I'm looking for those who have set specific digits on the '69 or the reissue...I would and could go days on those who have seen an heard...but I want those retaining first experience...

EDIT: Sorry, might have had a couple drinks when the rudeness came out...my apologies

cheers.gif No offense taken.

I've never played one plugged in, but I used to share a practice space with a band that had one, and I'd pick it up from time to time. It felt like a very solid, playable instrument. It had a single pickup that was mounted on a slider, and you could position it anywhere you wanted between the bridge and the neck. Are they all like that? I thought that was a really ingenious feature.

Yes...for both the wood and Lucite versions...I do believe it comes with a "single-blade" pick-up and the inter-changeable "double-blade" is sold separately. Not sure about positioning the pick-up anywhere between the bridge and neck...or, at least it's not an option on the reissue.

Yes...for both the wood and Lucite versions...I do believe it comes with a "single-blade" pick-up and the inter-changeable "double-blade" is sold separately. Not sure about positioning the pick-up anywhere between the bridge and neck...or, at least it's not an option on the reissue.

I wasn't able to find an example online of the one with a sliding pickup. It's possible it wasn't a Dan Armstrong, but I don't know what else it could have been. Maybe it was a one-off. Judging by the band's equipment, they seemed to be sort of wealthy, so maybe it was a custom feature.

I wasn't able to find an example online of the one with a sliding pickup. It's possible it wasn't a Dan Armstrong, but I don't know what else it could have been. Maybe it was a one-off. Judging by the band's equipment, they seemed to be sort of wealthy, so maybe it was a custom feature.

Good shot of a 1970 model currently available.

70DanArmstrongLucite.jpg

That's not the one I saw. The body shape was the same, but the pickup was mounted on a rail that was parallel to the strings.

EDIT:

Here's a link with a photo of the sliding pickup I'm refering to, although it is on a wooden guitar:

http://www.danarmstrong.org/londonguitar.html

ramp200.jpg

I will be honest...I doubted the sliding pick-up...but, I am actually happy to be wrong. That is a great concept!

I will be honest...I doubted the sliding pick-up...but, I am actually happy to be wrong. That is a great concept!

Coincidentally, I was just reading an old interview with Carol Kaye. She said at one time she played a Gibson Grabber bass, which is another instrument with a sliding pickup (so designed because she couldn't decide where she wanted the pickup to be placed). Different design and more limited sliding range than the Armstrong, but similar concept:

grabbersS.jpg

Great review, thanks!...now to find one to test drive...

I was looking for an amp online today and saw one of the reissues at this place in Lincoln Square, Chicago: www.rocknrollvintage.com under "other new guitars" for $995.00. Not too far from where your profile places you. Good Luck!

I was looking for an amp online today and saw one of the reissues at this place in Lincoln Square, Chicago: www.rocknrollvintage.com under "other new guitars" for $995.00. Not too far from where your profile places you. Good Luck!

(gasp) that's right up/in my alley...thanks stagerug...although out of my price range, I would like to sit down with the '69-'71...but this reissue (I assume) could realistically come home with me...good find, great share...

• 1 month later...

IF you could go for another brand lucite guitar (that probably both plays and sounds better than the Armstrong), check out the Pig brand lucite guitars made my Geoff Benge, and sold at Geoff Benge's Guitar Shop in Chicago:

http://geoffbengesguitarshop.com/instruments/newguitars.html

9335_261935820150_260934870150_8942302_4529515_n.jpg

9335_261937145150_260934870150_8942317_3365467_n.jpg

and an 8-string bass:

9335_261940640150_260934870150_8942360_8019445_n.jpg

He does total custom jobs, too.

The guy is a freaking genius when it comes to guitar stuff. (Not a bad player, either.)

If anyone cares to know, I have yet to play one...and will not be buying one for some time (currently shopping for a new TV, dining table, furniture...)

I'd rather look at a new guitar than watch television...but that's just me.

Todd, those guitars look stunning but i see no evidence of electronics. Am i missing something? also, Todd, didn't get a chance to congratulate you on the album release at Fitzgerald's. I know this is the wrong thread, but congrats.

Todd, those guitars look stunning but i see no evidence of electronics. Am i missing something? also, Todd, didn't get a chance to congratulate you on the album release at Fitzgerald's. I know this is the wrong thread, but congrats.

You are missing the fact that the guy is a genius and has hidden the electronics so that the guitars look as amazing as they do. And I am certain that they play as amazing as they look.

As to the second part: thanks!

There's time in my day for both.

At one point in time - while going through my "Wow, there is nothing better than 80's metal" phase - that the purchase of this animal was on my mind:

bc1.jpg