i've never been a national fan. i own all of their albums, never really bothered listening to cherry tree or the first two, but i did give alligator and the boxer a fair shake. i always thought they sounded good, but were kind of boring, repetitive, and well, i just didn't see what was so special about them. i did however like those albums enough to give the new one a shot, and i have to say, it's incredible. i am now a national fan for life. i don't really know what to say about it. i've listened to it straight through about ten times now and it keeps getting better and better. it's gotten to the point where i am finding myself listening to nothing but the national, and i've even started enjoying the older albums more because of the new one. i don't have a favorite song because the whole thing is flawless. maybe it's because i've been extremely depressed for about a month now, i don't know. but yes...A++

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the impression from his post that he is doing just that.

yes. you're right. listened to the boxer today and it's all starting to make sense. sometimes you need to hear certain music at the right time or it won't click. i think that was the case for me and the national. i just happened to click with the new one first.

yes. you're right. listened to the boxer today and it's all starting to make sense. sometimes you need to hear certain music at the right time or it won't click. i think that was the case for me and the national. i just happened to click with the new one first.

I had a similar experience with The National--although it was Boxer that won me over. I liked Alligator (and the earlier ones) just fine, but they didn't feel like a big deal. Then I heard and absolutely loved Boxer, which made all the others snap into focus, too.

they only sold 300 copies of the purple online, the other 1700 are at indie retailers. you can find which ones have it here:

http://highviolet.com/indieretail/

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just make do with the CD (I did get the "limited" version of that). I pre-ordered so many albums this month, I couldn't allow myself to buy much vinyl this time around.

This is a great record. It is, along with the Gil Scott-Heron release, the best thing I've heard all year. 'Bloodbuzz', 'Conversation' and 'England' are top draw. I like the fact that they didn't feel the need to radically overhaul their sound for the sake of it. Its just a gentle refinment of the 'Boxer' sound. Also, some of the lyrics are staggering.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just make do with the CD (I did get the "limited" version of that). I pre-ordered so many albums this month, I couldn't allow myself to buy much vinyl this time around.

I got mine at Waterloo in Austin. They have two versions of limited editions though. The ones that sold out, I believe, have a foil stamp, and an actual cd rather than download. the "x" version

i've had a high quality rip for 3-4 weeks now and have listened to it at least once a day ever since i got it (oftentimes multiple spins). got my physical copy yesterday, pretty cool packaging but alas no violet ticket, and i'm loving being able to crank it loud now that i have full quality... i still CAN'T get enough of this album!

it is really scratching me right where i itch.

i had also preordered on itunes to get the two bonus tracks. to be honest though, i haven't even listened to them.

Also, some of the lyrics are staggering.

i'll say.

"i was afraid i'd eat your brains b/c i'm evil"

"i still owe money to the money to the money i owe"

"don't leave my hyper heart alone on the water"

"with my shining blue star spangled tennis shoes on i'm afraid of everyone"

"and we can say that we invented a summer lovin torture party"

...just to name a few...

When I first listened to this album I was kind of wishing it had some heavier type tunes like Alligator has, but now I'm realizing I was wrong. This album is just really growing on me with more listens. He does have a way with lyrics and the songs are heavy in a different way.

When I first listened to this album I was kind of wishing it had some heavier type tunes like Alligator has, but now I'm realizing I was wrong. This album is just really growing on me with more listens. He does have a way with lyrics and the songs are heavy in a different way.

i agree. I have a habit of not giving newer albums a real chance after listening to it for the first time...i think it's because there's so much out there and it's so easy to get. But this album has really grown on me with multiple listens and quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of the year.

Well, I successfully waited for the proper release and stayed away from this thread for awhile. And, wow.

I am on my 3rd listen and this album is following my usual path to a favorite. I was lukewarm on the first listen, but then things started opening up and making sense on the second listen. And then, we achieved takeoff on the third.

Also, I see what people mean about the production on the first track. I am going to sit with this for a lot longer before I make a judgment.

Man, it's so nice when something in life actually meets your ridiculous expectations. :)