Can't figure out subtle changes in....

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble figuring out the Chord changes in the song "Breakin' the Rules" off of Robbie Robertson's Storyville album.

I know some of you enjoy a challenge, so I thought I'd pose this one. If anyone is in need of the song file, I can e-mail it to you asap.

Please, let me know if you're interested, as I am playing a show and need the chords.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble figuring out the Chord changes in the song "Breakin' the Rules" off of Robbie Robertson's Storyville album.

I know some of you enjoy a challenge, so I thought I'd pose this one. If anyone is in need of the song file, I can e-mail it to you asap.

Please, let me know if you're interested, as I am playing a show and need the chords.

Thanks!

Wow, I have not listened to that one in awhile. Maybe I will pull out my old cassette and see what I can do. I'm pretty impressed you are playing this song somewhere.

Seems like it's pretty much in the key of E Major. Use E, F#m, G#m, A, B for the most part from what I can tell.

Versus are E, F#m, G#m, F#m, E

Then goes up to the A and B

Solo is all E Major scale

Sorry, not much time tonight.

Good luck though. Interesting choice.

Thanks for the responses Moss. I think Robbie Robertson (although it has been said a trillion+ times) is a really, REALLY underrated songwriter. Even his solo material which people seem to write off, is pretty good actually. I guess because I'm kind of sickly obsessed with The Band, I'll always have a soft spot for it. Although, I will say, his first solo album especially is really great. If anyone who is reading this hasn't checked it out, I suggest you do so.

The verse I guess is pretty self explanatory. The chorus I think is something like this:

E F#m (sounds good if you keep the E open)

We can't go on,

G#m F#m

touching the flame.

C#m B E

Breaking the rules of the game.

Something like that with a variation sound right?

Also, side note:

I was having a conversation with my friend about songwriting and he claimed he hated when songs referred to "the game" in any way, as a metaphor. I'm wondering what other people think. I tend to agree with him, but in this song it really seems to work.