Now Playing: February, 2010

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of shredder albums, but this is a helluva record.

Oh dear God, yes it is! I was weaned on that record - easily Jeff's best fusion record, imo. That genre really makes the best use of his crazy, elastic stylings. And having George Martin working with the arrangements (strings, etc.) is icing on the cake. :cheers

^^ I played the crap out of that one when I was younger, even learned a couple of the songs on guitar.

To my ears that record is far too tasteful and melodic to be considered a "shredder" album. Shredder records usually have names like Di Meola, or Malmsteen attached to them.

album-blow-by-blow.jpg

It sure is nice working at home today....sun and a pile of LPs...

LouieB

Every night for two years (1975-77) i went to sleep to side two of that record

joannanewsom-haveoneonme-aa-final.jpg

some of this so far is just outstanding... 2 hours worth though... that's a tough task. gonna treat 'em as 3 separate albums for this weekend at least.

the thing is, that having listened to it a couple of times, there isn't a duff song on the whole thing. some of it, actually most of it, is just incredible.

side note: jim o'rourke apparently mixed 1/3 of the tracks. take note wilco!

album-blow-by-blow.jpg

It sure is nice working at home today....sun and a pile of LPs...

LouieB

I wore this album out. And wired too but more this one. Nobody sounds like Beck.

Speaking of Beck, new album coming out in April:

41tO4RWSJiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

it was friggin' GREAT. they also are backing Jason Boesel on this tour. i dug a few of his songs a bit (Hand of God is esp. good), but he's definitely just starting out as a solo songwriter.

Dawes were even better than the last time i saw them. such great energy and passion. The new songs all sounded really good too. You're gonna be FLOORED when they play 'When My Time Comes' live :).

As you promised, Dawes was tremendous. Really great time. The drummer is totally cool. And 'When My Time Comes' was certainly a highlight. The entire club sang along the chorus and then he had all of us sing the chorus the last time through. Only quibble - I didn't love the new songs as much as the songs from the album.

As you promised, Dawes was tremendous. Really great time. The drummer is totally cool. And 'When My Time Comes' was certainly a highlight. The entire club sang along the chorus and then he had all of us sing the chorus the last time through. Only quibble - I didn't love the new songs as much as the songs from the album.

yeah, i didn't love them as much either, but i'm hoping that partially stems from knowing all the words and such to the album songs. i won't worry too much until they're recorded :)

glad you loved it!

FRONT+OK.jpg

Hackamore Brick - One Kiss Leads to Another

joannanewsom-haveoneonme-aa-final.jpg

some of this so far is just outstanding... 2 hours worth though... that's a tough task. gonna treat 'em as 3 separate albums for this weekend at least.

Loving it so far, especially "Jackrabbits" and "Good Intentions Paving Co." Some really cool percussive textures on a lot of the songs, too.

61y8Ukztr8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg4117NF3C21L._SL500_AA240_.jpg51JR4RK43TL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41VYS4A8T8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg61vuMM--CKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Apollo Sunshine - Shall Noise Upon

Anthrax - Return Of the Killer A's

Brazil - The Philosophy of Velocity

Magnetic Fields - Get Lost

Supergrass - I Should Coco