Arcade Fire...

By the way, being a monotoned sad sack doesn't equate to being more mature, just more miserable.

So, in your mind, a singer's voice has more bearing on maturity and meaning than the actual lyrics that the singer has written? Interesting.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I guess that makes me immature...at least by VC's collective definition.

That judgment might have less to do with your cool story, bro, and more to do with your

Cool story bro.

All this arguing between The National and Arcade Fire will prove to be pointless when a certain album comes out in October and kicks both of their asses for album of the year!! :no

http://www.billboard.com/news/kings-of-leon-announce-new-album-come-around-1004107585.story#/news/kings-of-leon-announce-new-album-come-around-1004107585.story

I can't wait for the marketing push on this one. Just love their drinking stories in every interview and award acceptance they do. You would think they were underagers that had never drank before. Do you think they stack their empty cups under the full one and carry them around at keg parties?

Back to the subject, I'm just happy to have AF and The National when I see how KOL and other bands have evolved. Like Suburbs on the first listen and think it will be a grower. May go see them at Lolla with the wife.

Though I like both bands, at 39 - I relate to The National on a more personal level than Arcade Fire. Matt’s lyrics are, I don’t know, a bit more mature – are maybe a little more relevant to older listeners, where Win’s lyrics strike me as more relatable to someone in their late teens, early twenties. As for the songs, I think The National has shown a greater degree of consistency with respect to their awesomeness– imo.

I totally agree with this. I like Arcade Fire, but I love The National. I don't know which I would have preferred at age 20, but at 36 there's no doubt which band resonates more deeply with me. (Nevertheless, it's rather silly to debate which band is superior--after all, the bands are really two quite different beasts.)

Even if the word rococo is never used as a refrain again it will still be too soon.

On the whole, after several listens I have found The Suburbs underwhelming. It started out so promising, but towards the middle, it begins to just sort of meander along somewhat tunelessly. There's an EP's worth of strong to great material here, but I can think of six to eight tracks that, if trimmed, would have made for a stronger album.

i am really enjoying this album after about six spins, and a highlight for me is rococo. have you paid attention to the lyrics? fits the message in my opinion. and, on the whole, it seems like a very cohesive, top-to-bottom listenable album.

i am not discounting your opinion...simply stating mine as it contrasts yours in the case that some board reader is wavering on whether to give it a shot or not.

i am really enjoying this album after about six spins, and a highlight for me is rococo. have you paid attention to the lyrics? fits the message in my opinion. and, on the whole, it seems like a very cohesive, top-to-bottom listenable album.

i am not discounting your opinion...simply stating mine as it contrasts yours in the case that some board reader is wavering on whether to give it a shot or not.

All things being equal, I prefer “hot chocolate.”

Google image search for Rococo... image #2:

rococo

WTF?

Ha-ha! That's funny.

I just remember my art history professors in college totally hatin' on Rococo, so I've always associated it with the worst art movement in the world. But a Rococoesque-painted penis, well, I may just have to rethink my position.

I love both The National & Arcade Fire. I think it's pretty funny to have a war between fans like it was Tupac vs. Biggie. Although, I think with the fans involved I don't expect any drive by shootings. Maybe something a bit more dramatic. :ninja

Google image search for Rococo... image #2:

rococo

WTF?

Now this is what I was trying to put into words. :stunned

I can picture fans of these bands beating each other over the head with it to get their point across (or tip). :shifty

And they'd probably high five each other if they got the movie reference. :ninja

ha! i could've lived my entire life w/o seeing a rococo penis complete with cabbage balls...

ya know, that would be a funny "piece" to have just so you could sneak it onto a relative's bric-a-brac shelf to see how long it "wood" (sorry...couldn't resist) take for them to notice that there is a rococo penis staring at them.

Okay, Suburbs was kinda flat, but all of the other new songs were great.

Rococo, which I'll admit, I didn't like that much, was awesome.

But tonight confirmed that Empty Room is currently my favorite song on the new album. It's just over 2 minutes of focused awesomeness.

Great idea and a real gift to fans to broadcast that. I might could have done without quite so many cuts from one camera to the next, but altogether satisfying.

Can you imagine that in Royal Albert Hall? Would have been insane.