Arcade Fire...

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent read a single review of this album. I have not read a single post in this thread. I didn't listen to the leak. I bought the vinyl yesterday and listened to the album with virgin ears last night. Same thing this morning. Here are my initial thoughts (not that anyone would care):

1. that first track is great. after the dark sounds of neon bible, this track jolted me into joy. sweet. a new AF album.

2. when Win Butler is singing about businessmen drinking blood, is he doing it ironically? This LP was $26. my first moment of discomfort on the album.

3. um, uh-oh. more singing about kids? and war? and rebellion?

4. ummmmm, some of these one-liners are kind of clunky.

5. is my record skipping? oh, haha. ok, that was pretty cool. :)

6. "i have my doubts about it" - favorite moment on the album. But, I am worried why.

Not sure if it is possible to listen to a new album without comparing it to what came before it. I tried hard to eliminate all outside influences, but obviously that's impossible. I am guessing that everyone else loves this album, but i was pretty underwhelmed on two listens. Lyrics were a bit clunky, and i started to wonder if the joke is on me as the listener. I know that lyrics were never really their strong suit, but i guess the lyrics were what really stood out to me. Isn't there other stuff to sing about? And if the lyrics were so front and center for me, what does that say about the music?

Bummed on first listen. I get it. The modern kids will eat right out of your hands. Can we move on?

:hmm

Ok, so now I've gone back and read this thread and I guess I am not alone. That was a fun experiment. Oh well.

As for the AF v National debate, I agree that Matt's lyrics resonate with me more, and that Win's are starting to get old and feel childish. But I also think Matt has his fair share of clunkers. And I hesitate to reward a lyric that doesnt make much sense as "poetic" -- and sometimes (often?), I get that feeling with the National.

I'll take High Violet over Suburbs every time right now. solace, I am scratching my head over your 96 out of 100. diff'rent strokes, I guess. What would you rate Funeral on that scale? High Violet? Abbey Road?

Keep listening. It is a grower. It's more subtle in its quality, and it takes a while to differentiate the songs since several of them are thematically the same.

Also, see them live. Rococo is a good example. Big chunks of this album are a big departure from their old sound and it wasn't obvious to me until I saw them live.

album is def a grower. upon first listen i felt the same way you did, matt (the z). after repeated listening, i'm finding i enjoy it more than neon bible, a record i really enjoy. impossible to top funeral, but this album has some real gems. keep listening.

Keep listening. It is a grower. It's more subtle in its quality, and it takes a while to differentiate the songs since several of them are thematically the same.

Also, see them live. Rococo is a good example. Big chunks of this album are a big departure from their old sound and it wasn't obvious to me until I saw them live.

album is def a grower. upon first listen i felt the same way you did, matt (the z). after repeated listening, i'm finding i enjoy it more than neon bible, a record i really enjoy. impossible to top funeral, but this album has some real gems. keep listening.

Oh definitely. These were just my initial thoughts. And my initial thoughts match up with my final opinion (if there is such a thing) about 7% of the time. :lol

WXRT may be one of the last commercial stations that plays this kind of indie buzz band. I have now heard two songs off this album just by listening to the radio. Rococo is a pretty good song, kind of proggy.

LouieB

WXRT may be one of the last commercial stations that plays this kind of indie buzz band. I have now heard two songs off this album just by listening to the radio. Rococo is a pretty good song, kind of proggy.

LouieB

I am trying really hard to like this album. Repeated plays definitely reveal more pleasures but overall there are a lot of songs crying out for a decent hook or a decent melody. Favourite songs so far are "Modern Man", "We Used To Wait" and the "Suburbs" whose merits would have not made them standouts on the prior two albums. I'd echo comments that the first half is better than the second. I've scanned lots of gushing reviews the latest from British mag Q which gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Am I the only person who thinks that the theme of the suburbs is too banal to justify an entire album's worth of songs and if you are going to streamline your musical palette or sound the way Arcade Fire have with the "Suburbs" that a more compact album would have made better sense?

What a shocker. "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" has Come out of seemingly nowhere to grab the reins as my favorite song on the album.

My thoughts exactly. I listened to the entire album the first time as felt it was just ok. But this song is brilliant; definitely my favorite on the album.

Every time I listen to the album, I will pass right over Wasted Hours and Deep Blue. Those songs just kill the momentum for me.

Wasted Hours is one of my favorites on the album. It's the only song that keeps from skipping from Suburban War all the way to Sprawl II.

a wilco/arcade fire tour would be epic. feel as though the two would compliment one another pretty nicely. anyone at wilco hq listening?!? :thumbup

Ack! Maybe it's just a dearth of imagination, but I would HATE to see this. I love Arcade Fire, but I LOOOOVE Wilco. But who do you think would be the headliners on a combo tour? I don't wanna see my boys as the opening act for no stinkin' Arcade Fire!

I could be wrong, but given their relative mass appeal and popularity, does anyone think that Arcade Fire would be the opening act for Wilco these days?

I could be wrong, but given their relative mass appeal and popularity, does anyone think that Arcade Fire would be the opening act for Wilco these days?

Not for a New York minute. AF may be a bigger act than Wilco at the moment. (Why not pair AF with the National...they seem to be about the same kind of group anyway.)

LouieB

Ack! Maybe it's just a dearth of imagination, but I would HATE to see this. I love Arcade Fire, but I LOOOOVE Wilco. But who do you think would be the headliners on a combo tour? I don't wanna see my boys as the opening act for no stinkin' Arcade Fire!

One of my greatest loves, Spoon, opened for Arcade Fire. Don't know how it'd go with Wilco. There's an interesting take on The Suburbs in Paste: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2010/08/listen-up-knocking-the-suburbs.html.

let me rephrase: how about a co-headlining tour ;)

That kind of "co-headlining" show IMO is ultimately unsatisfying for me. You don't get full sets from either band, time only allows a greatest hits kind of show (and we've all heard the hits). We want the rarities. Plus, ticket prices are higher (two bands need to get paid), and they would probably be in a big-ass arena with shitty sound and, seriously, that's just not what I consider a great experience anymore.

I'll hold out for more intimate shows, go see one band I like at a time, play in mid-size to larger historic theaters, and get a full set of songs with nicer sound quality. Maybe an interesting opening act to broaden our horizons, give them a chance at a wider audience, etc.

But IMO, the "An Evening With Wilco" shows were the best. No opener. All Wilco, plus rarely played songs with new arrangements. Now THAT is my idea of a perfect show. :wub

One of my greatest loves, Spoon, opened for Arcade Fire. Don't know how it'd go with Wilco. There's an interesting take on The Suburbs in Paste: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2010/08/listen-up-knocking-the-suburbs.html.

One really good thing about getting old: I don't care what other people think very much. Internet pundits are no better than the mainstream media in their rush to build people up and to revel in tearing them dowwn. I've read how Bruce Springsteen saved Rock and Roll; read that the Clash was the only band that mattered; that Cake was going to change the music world; how Kurt Cobain was a rock god; read that Oasis was the best British band ever; read that Funeral was the best album of the last 20 years. It's all sound and fury and usually says more about the writer than the facts or the reader.

The Internets allow me to preview music, decide what is interesting, and decide what is worthy of buying or downloading. I read reviews to see if there is something interesting in the article, to see if it is witty and well written and to see if I can ascertain what ever biases the writer has. The internet has led to a plethora of bloggers and internet doyens who aim to have their every thought and opinon known by the world. We are all guilty of that to some extent.

I like the Arcade Fire and think the new record is good. But my opinion is MINE. I also liked the new Band of Horses, really liked the new The Hold Steady, liked the new , was disappointed by the latest Springsteen and Dylan. For What it's worth.

was disappointed by the latest Springsteen and Dylan. For What it's worth.

I think it is time for both of these guys to do covers or standards albums....for what its worth...(which was a good song in its day....)

As an even older guy..I am just glad XRT occasionally plays groups like Arcade Fire (which I suspect at this point the college stations won't even touch...) since I don't plan to buy their new album or even download it. I like what I have heard, mostly.

Incidently the link to Paste doesn't seem to work...if anyone cares. The review on Pitchfork was simply too long.

And speaking of new releases...did anyone else notice that only one person (at this point) seems to care the Sufjan Stevens is back? There's a guy who owes us 48 new albums I think....

LouieB

One really good thing about getting old: I don't care what other people think very much. Internet pundits are no better than the mainstream media in their rush to build people up and to revel in tearing them dowwn. I've read how Bruce Springsteen saved Rock and Roll; read that the Clash was the only band that mattered; that Cake was going to change the music world; how Kurt Cobain was a rock god; read that Oasis was the best British band ever; read that Funeral was the best album of the last 20 years. It's all sound and fury and usually says more about the writer than the facts or the reader.

The Internets allow me to preview music, decide what is interesting, and decide what is worthy of buying or downloading. I read reviews to see if there is something interesting in the article, to see if it is witty and well written and to see if I can ascertain what ever biases the writer has. The internet has led to a plethora of bloggers and internet doyens who aim to have their every thought and opinon known by the world. We are all guilty of that to some extent.

I like the Arcade Fire and think the new record is good. But my opinion is MINE. I also liked the new Band of Horses, really liked the new The Hold Steady, liked the new , was disappointed by the latest Springsteen and Dylan. For What it's worth.

Well said. And I too enjoyed - quite a bit - the new record from The Hold Steady.