Arcade Fire...

Where the HELL did you read that?

I am NOT kidding...it was in a twee, indie pop music column in an Austin free newspaper. I laughed.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

disappointed by the latest Springsteen and Dylan.

I think it is time for both of these guys to do covers or standards albums....for what its worth...(which was a good song in its day....)

LouieB

the thing that really bothers me about Springsteen's prolific recording and releasing material now is that he doesn't really have the muse that he did in the 70's and 80's. I wish he would have exercised less self-editing then and more now.

a wilco/arcade fire tour would be epic. feel as though the two would compliment one another pretty nicely. anyone at wilco hq listening?!? :thumbup

Saw Wilco follow Arcade Fire at Sasquatch in 2005. Poor Wilco that day. Blown out of the water by the best performance at Sasquatch and not helped by some technical problems. (I think that the Wilco concert program had Sasquatch listed as the worst place to play by one of Wilco's road crew). Have seen Arcade Fire play twice since then and they were the act of the day easily at the 2nd day of Coachella in 2007. They might have reined them it in a little now but when I have seen they have a great sense of theatrics and spectacle. Listened to "The Suburbs" again on a long drive today. They critical kudos get more baffling every time I hear the record. There are some good songs but a lot of it sounds more and more like indie-rock by numbers. A shame when anyone who has seen their live show can attest their talent would suggest they could pull off any number of styles.

the thing that really bothers me about Springsteen's prolific recording and releasing material now is that he doesn't really have the muse that he did in the 70's and 80's. I wish he would have exercised less self-editing then and more now.

Why bother? These two guys are major cash cows for Sony/Columbia. Each time they release an album the rest of their catalogue gets some action too. People are reminded about how good they used to be and go back and revisit the old stuff. Putting out less than stellar stuff is like priming the pump.

LouieB

Surprised no one has mentioned this being the #1 album in the country. Not that it means much nowadays but still, mad props.

There is an article in today's New York Times discussing the #1 status and the role that Amazon's $3.99 sale price played in it.

Interesting quote: "Neither Merge nor SoundScan would say what proportion of the band’s sales last week came from Amazon, but the discount clearly helped: 62 percent of the album’s sales were as digital downloads, according to Billboard — more than twice as many as the band’s last album, “Neon Bible,” had in its first week in 2007."

There is an article in today's New York Times discussing the #1 status and the role that Amazon's $3.99 sale price played in it.

Interesting quote: "Neither Merge nor SoundScan would say what proportion of the band’s sales last week came from Amazon, but the discount clearly helped: 62 percent of the album’s sales were as digital downloads, according to Billboard — more than twice as many as the band’s last album, “Neon Bible,” had in its first week in 2007."

Obviously part of a carefully thought out plan to break the band into a bigger level and wider audience. It also emphasizes where the money is at in music these days: gigs. Likewise the webcast directed by Terry Gillam last week and sponsored by AmEx (the businessmen who suck their blood? LOL). I am sure Arcade Fire will make a boat load of money from their arena shows going forward. I feel sad for the remaining independent music stores. I am sure they feel that they really helped to build a band like Arcade Fire (and of course made some money into the bargain themselves.) When I bought my copy of "The Suburbs" for $11.99 at Easy Street in Queen Anne there were about six people in there are seven in the evening in what's a pretty decent -sized store. Sad.

Can't lie, I got a bit choked up when Regine sang "Haiti" last night.

Great, great show. Nothing tops 5k people singing "Wake Up" at the top of their lungs completely off key. What an experience.

Yep, great show.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scene/2010/08/12/arcade-fire-and-spoon-bring-indie-rock-to-alpharettas-verizon-amphitheatre/?cxntlid=thbz_hm

Setlist (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arcade-fire/2010/verizon-wireless-amphitheatre-alpharetta-ga-4bd5abae.html):

Ready to Start -

(HD)

Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) -

(HD)

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) -

(HD)

FYI: they play Ready to Start and Month of may on the Daily Show

I have to say, I am really loving the new album. I had a hard time getting into Neon Bible, haven't listened to it in forever, and I didn't really have any expectations for The Suburbs but it is blowing me away

i believe the numbers were 97k of that 156k were digital and of those 97k, 62k were from Amazon's $3.99 sale.

but it's worth noting the sale was Amazon's decision, not the band or label.

Anyone see them at Lolla?

LouieB

i did.

it was the best of the 15x i've seen them now too. it truly felt like a turning point in their career type of show, playing to 50-60k opposite Soundgarden who probably only drew 30-40k

North American Tour:

9-22 St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins Arena

9-23 Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre

9-25 Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Centre

9-26 Calgary, AB - Stampede Corral

9-28 Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum

9-29 Seattle, WA - Key Arena

9-30 Portland, OR - Memorial Coliseum

10-2 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre

10-5 Big Sur, CA - Henry Miller Library

10-7 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-8 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-10 Mexico City, Mexico - Palacio de los Deportes

10-12 Monterrey, Mexico - Banamex Theater

Any news on when they'll release their original score for The Box?

I'm guessing it will have to be over the internet only. By the time it comes out it will be at least past 2 years since the film came out.

Solace should know...

North American Tour:

9-22 St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins Arena

9-23 Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre

9-25 Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Centre

9-26 Calgary, AB - Stampede Corral

9-28 Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum

9-29 Seattle, WA - Key Arena

9-30 Portland, OR - Memorial Coliseum

10-2 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre

10-5 Big Sur, CA - Henry Miller Library

10-7 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-8 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-10 Mexico City, Mexico - Palacio de los Deportes

10-12 Monterrey, Mexico - Banamex Theater

sweet!!! i am so pumped to see them!!!! :rock

Band of the decade.

No offense to Mr Tweedy & co, or any other band I love, but IMHO, it's clearcut.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment while also state that they are not my favorite band.