9-29 Seattle, WA - Key Arena

9-30 Portland, OR - Memorial Coliseum

10-2 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre

10-5 Big Sur, CA - Henry Miller Library

10-7 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-8 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium

10-10 Mexico City, Mexico - Palacio de los Deportes

10-12 Monterrey, Mexico - Banamex Theater

Having just watched the clips of Arcade Fire on Jon Stewart next week I am going to try and see them at Berkeley on Saturday the 2nd. Having seen them three times the live stuff on Jon Stewart reminded me what an incredible live band they are. For anyone else thinking of a trip to the Bay Area for the same time the free Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in taking place at Golden Gate featuring Elvis Costello, the Avett Brothers and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings amongst a bunch of other great artists.

Anyone know when the Greek Show goes on sale?

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

I'm not a huge Arcade Fire fan but I do really love some of their songs. I have been known to play Rebellion (Lies), Laika, and Ocean of Noise on constant repeat for an hour. ;)

This new one is definitely a grower. Didn't like it at all at first, but repeated listening makes the songs reveal themselves. After several listens, I think The Suburbs is good, but not great. It does not sound as much like Bruce Springsteen (whom I loathe) as I feared it would. But there is nothing that really reaches out and grabs me like the three previously mentioned songs. The song that most jumps at at me is Sprawl II, but I think it is good, not great.

Perhaps even more listens will reveal more to me. I like this band when they are either really pumping, or very atmospheric, and I don't seem to be getting much of either of those things from The Suburbs. It's still good to hear...although probably will never become a favorite of mine.

I have had the album a few days and didn't really hook into it all that much. I enjoyed parts of it no doubt and kind of knew it would eventually hook me in. Then, last night, watching a live broadcast from Reading the whole thing came together. A storming live show from the band and the new songs shone as brightly as anything. Really, really brilliant show even viewed on tv. Consequently, the album reveals itself even more after a show like that. Tremendous.

I have had the album a few days and didn't really hook into it all that much. I enjoyed parts of it no doubt and kind of knew it would eventually hook me in. Then, last night, watching a live broadcast from Reading the whole thing came together. A storming live show from the band and the new songs shone as brightly as anything. Really, really brilliant show even viewed on tv. Consequently, the album reveals itself even more after a show like that. Tremendous.

Thanks for the link. Really looking forward to seeing them for the 4th time in the best venue in the world: The Greek Theatre at Berkeley on the first Saturday of October. They really are amazing live. I am also planning to go to the Coachella next year and will be hugely surprised if they aren't one of the headliners.

The m4as (with synchronized artwork) that came with the album from the Arcade Fire website do not work on my iPod: in certain positions of each track, the iPod skips or halts, thus not playing certain sections of these tracks. However, those files work fine on about every media player on my computer.

Anyone else have this problem?

I've started listening to Neon Bible again after almost wearing out the new one. I largely ignored it when it first came out because it "wasn't Funeral #2". :blush

Feel like an idiot now. This is a fantastic record as well. It's just as lyrically evocative and while it doesn't have quite as many arena rockers in it, it's still just as engaging. I'm really enjoying finally discovering some of the "also ran" tracks. 3 years too late. Wow. :music

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed that at times, singer Win Butler sounds *almost exactly* like Jeff Tweedy? Close your eyes and put on "Deep Blue". When he sings the lyrics quoted below, he sounds nearly identical to Jeff Tweedy. The song as a whole isn't a Tweedy clone, but just portions. Perhaps it's because these lyrics are sung in a falsetto (or near) voice. Be that as it may, this album has really hooked me since first listen. I think my current favorite wavers between "We Used to Wait" and "Sprawl II" both of which were performed on SNL last week. I recorded it just for ScarJo, but was very pleased to see they were the musical guest. :)

"I heard a song from the speaker of a passing car

And prayed to a dying star

The memory's fading..."

Really digging "City with no Children," "Modern Man," "The Suburbs," "Sprawl II," and love "Month of May," in the same way I love "I'm A Wheel."

• 1 month later...

woah. omg.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doing the happy dance. though, i have seen arcade fire once & haven't ever listened to their music, we all know how i feel about the national!

Neat Spike Jonze video of the Suburbs. (From what I understand it is a bit of a collaborative effort)

(I would strip the vevo crap off here if I could...but here it is anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euj9f3gdyM

Neat Spike Jonze video of the Suburbs. (From what I understand it is a bit of a collaborative effort)

(I would strip the vevo crap off here if I could...but here it is anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Euj9f3gdyM

Nice piece of nostalgia. Kids spend all their time indoors today on facebook, chat-rooms and webcams or being driven round to endless soccer or basketball games.

• 4 weeks later...