Arcade Fire...

you're really gonna make a pre-judgement based on 8 minutes out of a 64 minute album? and 30 sec clips of each track at that?

come on now... i wouldn't even think Funeral was that great based on random 30 sec clips.

Some laugh-out-loud comments based on my relatively innocuous comments on the initial clips. I just meant it sounded more like it will be a a grower of an album. Wonder what Wayne Coyne thinks? :)

In totally unrelated news, Gorillaz are getting ready to announce all 20 dates for a US tour in October. Any thoughts that I had that this band was a side-project for Damon Albarn were blown away by the breadth and quality of "Plastic Beach". An added bonus on stage will be the presence of Mick Jones and Paul Simonon of the Clash and hopefully the imperious Bobby Womack and maybe even Lou Reed for those who the show in NYC. Can't wait. My friends who went to Coachella this year said they were the highlight for Saturday.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two "Half Light" songs are super super good. First part = really pretty orchestral-esque Regine song. Second part = Depoche Mode/New Order-esque song? Synths and the whole bit, pretty awesome.

Upon first listen they really went for something different this time around, and I really dig it so far.

absolutely f'n LOVE these songs:

Empty Room

City With No Children

Rococo (silly lyrics sure, but this song is IMMENSE musically)

We Used To Wait

Sprawl II

Ready To Start

dig these quite a bit:

Half Light II

Modern Man

Wasted Hours

good, but not loving:

Suburban War (love the Byrds-esque guitar line)

Deep Blue

Half Light I

just decent:

The Suburbs (great lyrics, not a fan of the bouncy rhythm & honky tonk piano really)

Month of May (good energy, but not a great track)

if i had to pick a least fave song:

Sprawl 1 (Flatlands) (gorgeous song, and kinda reminds me of Radiohead's 'Pyramid Song', which is another gorgeous song, i just don't love either)

Based on what I've read from people who have merely listened to parts of the 30-second clips, I am ready to declare this album a complete bust. It's good to know I don't have to bother listening to it now.

based on your post i'm ready to call you a typical hipster who thinks anything that's good is not cool. (that was a joke by the way)

based on your post i'm ready to call you a typical hipster who thinks anything that's good is not cool. (that was a joke by the way)

:lol They're too big. I only like things that no one has heard of, regardless of quality.

On my 3rd listen through this album and it's definitely great. Definitely an album that will need a little time since it is really lacking the epic quality of other Arcade Fire albums and things are a lot leaner and more mellow. Actually, quite a few of the songs remind me a bit of Wilco. I need more listens but for now: :thumbup

:lol They're too big. I only like things that no one has heard of, regardless of quality.

I only like things I've never heard of. Once somebody like me hears it, it's clearly too mainstream for my tastes.

I listened to the album last night and loved the 1st 6 songs. When it came to Half Light, I thought that my cd (that I made) kept skipping and apparently it didn't capture the next 8 songs. Anyways, I just checked now on my iTunes and I am kind of surprised that for 4 minutes straight they repeat the same phrase over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I seriously thought that I was going to go crazy or have a stroke on the road while listening to this. Luckily, the cd stopped at Half Light II. I'll have to finish the album later on tonight to hear the 2nd half.

Edit: Ok. Whatever version I got the leak from had those 2 songs completely fucked up and skipping. Downloaded again and those 2 songs are much, much, much better.

It's growing on me a little after the second listen, but it's definitely way, way too long. I think "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" is my favorite song on there now, which is strange, 'cause I'm normally not into Regine's songs and it sounds like an outtake from the Goonies soundtrack.

I didn't like Neon Bible that much at first either, though, and it's grown to be my favorite by far. I'll give this one a couple more listens for sure...if I can find the time to, anyway.

i don't necessarily find it too LONG in terms of album length, but there's 2 songs i'd def cut from the record (Month of May & Deep Blue). MoM is a fun rocker, but it doesn't fit the albums sound & theme that well and should have been a b-side.

i mean you could easily argue the White Album & London Calling are "too long" too, but doesn't diminish how great those records (not saying Suburbs is that good, just an example)

got through the first half this morning, and really digging it so far. I'm hearing some shoegaze influence - Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, M83 etc - nice!

looking forward to the 2nd half - from reading this thread it seems like there's more beats and synthy stuff, which is surprising to me but exciting nonethless