Arcade Fire...

I love the new cd.

I've been listening to it quite a bit, it's great.

Weird question:

Does anyone else find that Win's vocal melody or even singing style on 'Sprawl (flatland)'remind them of Roger Water's solo stuff?

I know its crazy, but from the first time I heard 'Sprawl(flatland)', I knew it reminded me of something but i couldnt put my finger on it.

Then I realized the vocal melody really reminds of Roger Waters. It feels like something he would have sung on Amused to death or something, lol.

Either way this cd is awesome.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some observations after the first time through:

1-Didn't put me to sleep like Blitzen Trapper's new one, but it's easily in 2nd place for "Most Boring of '10."

2-There is not a song on this album that even approaches any single song from the first album.

3-Where did the energy from the first two albums go?

4-The next person who uses the word "Suburbs" is getting a kick in the groin.

1-Didn't put me to sleep like Blitzen Trapper's new one, but it's easily in 2nd place for "Most Boring of '10."

2-There is not a song on this album that even approaches any single song from the first album.

how does roccoco not get you going, the music is awesome in that song

how does roccoco not get you going, the music is awesome in that song

The music in that song is good but the lyrics and constant repeating of "Roccoco" started to get to me. I dunno. I'm not giving up on it, I'm just not rushing back to listen to it again today.

here's my review for a local Mpls blog:

Whether or not you hate them or love them, Arcade Fire will never be a band that people can fault for their lack of ambition or drive with a straight face, and The Suburbs only solidifies that. An album 3 years in the making and one that spans 16 tracks in just over an hour might have people trying to claim it's "bloated", but you could argue the same for The White Album, London Calling, Exile On Main St, etc., and I doubt any excess those albums may or may not have, has had any measurable effect on their legendary status. Are there 2-3 songs I don't fully adore on the record? Sure, but that's beside the point. This is their vision and their story and who am I to argue with that as long as I enjoy the overall product?

Musically the album is the band's most diverse effort yet, adding synths & electronic beats tastefully on a few tracks (most notably the Regine Chassagne led 'Sprawl II', which instantly recalls Blondie's 'Heart of Glass' or possibly even The Knife). The band may have forgone some of their stadium sized anthems (ie: Wake Up, Power Out, Keep The Car Running, etc.) for less subtle melodies, but there's still plenty of catchiness at times (Ready To Start, We Used To Wait). And the production on the album is certainly the most fitting to the band's sound of any of their 3 albums. It's still grandiose at times, but there's also some very sparse arrangements (Sprawl I) to keep it from being overblown.

On the topic of the albums theme/concept, I could probably fill a few pages with regards to just that or the albums lyrics, so i'll just keep it short and simple and say that I'm finding new lines I love with every listen.

I have a feeling that this album might be polarizing for a few folks (esp. those who have always found them overrated), but for someone who has been a huge fan from the start, yet who was a bit let down by their last record, 'The Suburbs' has totally surpassed any lofty expectations I might have had and is certainly one of my favorite records in a year of a ton of already great albums.

96/100

this thing is getting just INSANELY great reviews across the board:

http://www.metacriti...fire/thesuburbs

and i've heard that it may get a higher score from Pfork than Funeral as well

1) the new Blitzten Trapper just flat out SUCKS. doesn't put me to sleep, just annoys me, and Furr was my #1 of 2008 and Wild Mountain Nation was pretty high in 2006 yucky.gif. but if you think it's the 2nd most boring album of 2007, I can recommend you plenty of albums to take that title. stunned.gif

2) I agree that there's no song on here as great as Tunnels, Rebellion, or Wake Up, but there's PLENTY songs better than 7 Kettles, Une St Lumiere, and Crown of Love for me.

3) just as much if not more energy as Neon Bible, but musically it's certainly more refined/tuned. way better album than Neon Bible imo... which i was let down by after Funeral (although when your debut is that amazing, your second album is gonna be tough no matter what)

4) SUBURBS SUBURBS SUBURBS 51.gif

honestly i think in very short time I may find this better than Funeral on the whole (amazing record, but there's 2-3 songs that outside of the context of the album I would not be a big fan of at all, see above). i can see why some might not like this as much, but the overwhelming majority of responses and reviews i'm reading and hearing are insanely positive.

Sorry...I was agreeing with you, meaning what am I missing from this album.

nothin to apologize for. i'm in the same boat. all the songs feel/sound very similar and don't go anywhere. but i felt the same about Neon Bible for about a year and half and only really started to like it in october of last year. maybe Suburbs will be the same way.

It's missing the sense of urgency that a "Wake Up" or "Antichrist Television Blues" had, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's certainly less angsty than I expected. With the title of the songs and all, I was expecting an indie American Idiot, or something :lol

I'd like to get a version that has no skips between songs, and really sit down and digest it as a whole before offering a full opinion. I like it, it's very mature, but it doesn't knock me on my ass like Funeral did or certain songs on Neon Bible.

It's certainly less angsty than I expected. With the title of the songs and all, I was expecting an indie American Idiot, or something :lol

Canadian Idiot?

I still can't hear this album, try as I may.

When I was driving home from work last night (a good half hour drive), I was totally picturing the latter half of this album as a Broadway play, a la American Idiot. Since a lot of high school theater kids listen to Arcade Fire, I'd wager we'll be hearing The Suburbs turned into a musical. If not, I'll spearhead that effort.

After a few more listens, Empty Room is becoming a favorite, along with City with No Children. One gripe about CWNC: I keep wanting it to erupt into a giant crescendo toward the end instead of peaking rather mildly and fading. But I love this album overall. 2010 is going to be one of those benchmark years for music...if only Radiohead would bless us with something spontaneously...

What I have heard so far of it (via the XM) has not rocked my block.

What I have heard so far of it (via the XM) has not rocked my block.

Looking forward to buying it and listening to it on Tuesday. Despite some skepticism here based on my initial analysis based on the 30 seconds that it will be grower it would seem my Malcolm Gladwell-like first call was spot-on based on what other people who have heard it all are saying. As for the critics, Arcade Fire unless they release a complete dud they will always be a darling of the critics. Willing to tackle big themes - check, ambitious - check, willing to expand their sound - check, willing to take chances - check, amazing live - check etc, etc. Frankly, music and critics need band like Arcade Fire who help to define a period of time and music. Compare them with their touring mates - Spoon. Great band - but happy to be a big cult band and nothing more and also sonically they have tinkered with but never changed their core sound over 5/6 records.

Looking forward to buying it and listening to it on Tuesday. Despite some skepticism here based on my initial analysis based on the 30 seconds that it will be grower it would seem my Malcolm Gladwell-like first call was spot-on based on what other people who have heard it all are saying. As for the critics, Arcade Fire unless they release a complete dud they will always be a darling of the critics. Willing to tackle big themes - check, ambitious - check, willing to expand their sound - check, willing to take chances - check, amazing live - check etc, etc. Frankly, music and critics need band like Arcade Fire who help to define a period of time and music. Compare them with their touring mates - Spoon. Great band - but happy to be a big cult band and nothing more and also sonically they have tinkered with but never changed their core sound over 5/6 records.

I'll take Spoon over Arcade Fire any day of the week. My disappointment with The Suburbs keeps growing, especially as more of this rapturous praise comes out. This doesn't even come close to what The National did this year with High Violet.

wing, especially as more of this rapturous praise comes out.

just curious, but why would that have any factor on how much you like or don't like an album? unsure.gif

i'll admit i still do like High Violet more than The Suburbs for NOW, but i could see that changing.... which at the start of this year i thought there was no WAY that Arcade Fire's album would even come close to a new National record, considering in 2007 how much better Boxer was than Neon Bible.

just curious, but why would that have any factor on how much you like or don't like an album? unsure.gif

i'll admit i still do like High Violet more than The Suburbs for NOW, but i could see that changing.... which at the start of this year i thought there was no WAY that Arcade Fire's album would even come close to a new National record, considering in 2007 how much better Boxer was than Neon Bible.

Just a natural tendency to push back against, in my view, unjustified praise. It doesn't mean I would like the album less. I would just be more apt to talk poorly about it when I encounter someone saying how great it is.