Relic & Road Worn Guitars

18 members have voted

1. 1. Road Worn guitars are....

• Awesome! I have or would buy one.
    • Pretty phony! I'd feel like a faker playing one

They do; all of Fender's American-made Vintage Reissues are done up in nitrocellulose -- so SpeedRacer's new 52 Reissue will age quite nicely. A couple of their artist-series (like the Eric Johnson strat) are done in nitro, as are the Vintage Hot Rod, and the Highway One (though, like the Road Worn, this has a poly-finished neck).

The thing is, except for the Highway One, these are all higher-ticket guitars.

Interesting. I did not know that. Is this a fairly recent thing? My bandmate has a USA Tele, but it has a poly finish. Uh, nevermind...I just realized you're referring to vintage reissues. I'm pretty sure his tele is a '90s American Standard.

Does anyone know what type of finish American Standard Teles have?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515750

One day I'd love to buy an American Telecaster, however I want it to age naturally, this would mean I would want a nitro finish, correct?

Does anyone know what type of finish American Standard Teles have?

http://guitars.music...itar?sku=515750

One day I'd love to buy an American Telecaster, however I want it to age naturally, this would mean I would want a nitro finish, correct?

The American Standards have a polyurethane finish. This doesn't mean it won't age, per se, just that it won't age like guitars from the 50s and early 60s. Starting in the mid-60s, Fender used polyester or polyurethane to finish their guitars. So if you want to see what your urethane-finished guitar will look like in 40 years, go to your vintage guitar shop and look at the Fenders from the 70s. If what you want is the finish to be checked and finger marks worn off the neck, then you'll need to go nitro. If the way 70s guitars age pleases you, then polyurethane is fine.

Do these "thin skin" teles have nitro finish?

Yes. According to the website they have:

1. Nitrocellulose Lacquer

2. Dunlop 6105 Fretwire

3. 9.5" fingerboard radius

I think they special order a bunch just for that dealer.