Guitar question

Just bought a used cherry Martin OM-21 with the pickguard sticker still on it. When I removed it, lots of goo remained. Before I get too crazy, what's the best way to remove it without screwing up the finish of said pickguard?

I've read some thing about removing adhesive, but want to proceed cautiously.

After 16 views with not even a response and suggestions from local music shops ranging from Goo Gone, Goo Off and lighter fluid :stunned the correct answer was Petroleum Jelly.

Worked perfectly!

Good to know. I had not seen this thread until now, but I was going to tell you that the Guitar Player book on Guitar Repair considers Naptha (lighter fluid) to be THE all purpose cleaning agent for guitars. I probably would have used a small amount of Goo Gone since that's what I have at the house.

After 16 views with not even a response and suggestions from local music shops ranging from Goo Gone, Goo Off and lighter fluid :stunned the correct answer was Petroleum Jelly.

Worked perfectly!

Great! Where'd you find that jelly was the cure?

I don't remember. Some forum about removing adhesive goo. Wasn't a guitar site. Ranged anywhere from goo gone, goo off, lighter fluid, and even peanut butter. :unsure

Some chemistry guy posted that vaseline would break goo down and damn if he wasn't spot on! I was afraid to use chemicals. Let me just say that it was amazing to see it come right off without any struggle whatsoever!! :thumbup Better living through Chemistry!