Stand...or sit?

Went to see Billy Joel for the first time last year in Hollywood Hard Rock, FL, and it was seated, and it was sold out. The venue must have held 5000. Everyone sat. My crew of 7 stood, danced, sang, and had a great time, and yes, people behind us were pissed. With Billy, I drank quite a bit, so I didn't give a shit. I wanted to have a great time, and I did. But with Wilco, I will definitely be more relaxed minus the alcohol, and more considerate of others. By the way, Mr. Joel kicked some major ass for an old dude! Bob

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this thread is two pages in and no one has made a joke revolving around peeing standing up or sitting down. You people are way too mature for me! :brow

As for the actual debate, I for one would find it very odd to stand through How to Fight Lonliness or Remember the Mountain Bed if a seat was available for me to sit in. Plus, it's really cool when everyone leaps out of their seat for a song like Monday if it follows something more mellow.

I just find it odd that people can't just shut up when those songs are playing. 184 "Woo-oohs" and "Yeahs" don't deepen the experience.

maybe not for you. some people like to express their joy.

maybe not for you. some people like to express their joy.

Unrestrained joy is touching. So is respect for a performer and the audience. The cheer from recognition of a song is great. Unfortunately, I think most "woo hoos" are less about expressing joy and more about "hey it's me making noise during a quiet time." All I'm asking is a little restraint until a song is over. Then imbibe in extras "woos" *and* "hoos"

Unfortunately, I think most "woo hoos" are less about expressing joy and more about "hey it's me making noise during a quiet time."

Exactly... I've always thought that about the people woo hooing at the quiet parts.. "if I scream now, Jeff will just be hearing MY voice instead of the mass of voices..."

Exactly... I've always thought that about the people woo hooing at the quiet parts.. "if I scream now, Jeff will just be hearing MY voice instead of the mass of voices..."

Almost as annoying as the Jeff wannabes who sing at the top if thier lungs for a full 2 hour set. Jackasses. I've got nothing against getting into a live show. But I dont want to hear YOUR show.

With regard to sit or stand...Last year at the Fox Theater in Detroit Jeff was clearly bit irritated that the majority of the crowd was sitting. He had to basically shame people into standing....embarrasing. Not sure what to expect at the Wharton Center in Lansing this sunday. Anyone been there?

Very interesting thread, I must say. I was directed here from the Overture Center thread, as several friends of mine were bitched at for trying to dance at that one. Most people on the floor were standing...stock still, but standing. I've been going to tons of shows per year for a lot of years, and in my experience, you're at a rock and roll show, you stand up, you rock out. Wilco shows are totally strange to me. That music MOVES me.

I'm not saying people who don't dance aren't feeling it--far from it. I'm just saying it is a pisser for people who feel moved by the music to have to suppress it and sit still when we paid our good money just like everybody else to come and enjoy ourselves. But I'd also hate the feeling that I'm ruining somebody else's show by doing what comes naturally to me.

I don't know what the solution is, unless they start having separate sections for dancers and people who just want to sit there. Wilco shows are really the only shows I go to where there's this discrepancy, I swear. I bet I could count on one hand the shows I've been to where people were constantly getting up and sitting down, and those were dinosaur shows like the Rolling Stones and Yes, where I just figured the older crowd would've preferred to be rocking out the whole time except their aging bodies couldn't take it. I just never really thought of Wilco that way, but maybe people are getting old at a younger age these days.

As a longtime concertgoer I find the whole sitting /standing a pain in the ass! In the late 70's, early 80's it was never a problem.

Everybody stood & partied their asses off!! Oh those were the days! Nowadays with the aged fans & the much tighter security

things have changed. Being from polite Canada we have a real sitting problem up here. It drives me nuts. Oh I'm pretty sure I'll be unfortunately

sitting in Hamilton. Maybe Wilco should have a standing rule for floors. I.E. Standers take precedent over sitters.

I find one of the problems with Wilco they choose these lovely seated theatres with incredible sound. Unfortunately these are not conducive venues for standing.

One night Wilco, the next night the philharmonic. If Jeff wants people to stand they should play venues with no seating on the main floor or just large clubs.

My wife loves to dance at shows & has got into a few confrontations over the years. ( this has been a big problem at Neil Young shows)

Last Neil tour he had GA for the floors. That seemed to work. Of course they were still sittig in the stands.

It is not a lot of fun to be trying to mediate a dispute, it kinda takes away from the enjoyment of the show.

Anyways thanks for listening to my rambling rant. I guess there is no answer.

Also I'm sick as a dog one night before the show. I just might have to sit! LOL

P.S How can you sit during Bull Black Nova or Shot in the Arm??

Last saw WILCO at UIC Pavilion in Chicago, and the larger venue took something away for me, probably because I was seated further away in the back, but offered both seats at lower and upper levels, and the main floor was pretty much standing...the best of all worlds. Whatever, sitting or standing, enjoy smaller venues. Thread on where people would prefer to see WILCO is at smaller venues. Trade-off is that larger venue allows for more fan access.

Here is my experience at two Wilco shows.

When I saw them on the YHF tour they played an old theater...no one was standing. After the first song ended...Jeff said "This isn't Wilco the movie, stand up folks!"

and we stood the rset of the show.

I then saw them on the GIB tour and we were in the 2nd row, but there was a PIT section that for some reason they did not sell tickets for. We were standing up..and someone behind me, actually asked me to sit down..which REALLY pissed my wife and I off. Who doesn't stand up in the second row? WTF people?

Anyway...after the second or third song.. Jeff once again came to the rescue and said..."Hey Guys (talking to the security officers), we have this empty space up here, is it okay if the people come up front?" The bouncer nodded, and my wife and I dashed to the stage..and ended up right in front.

every other Wilco show I've been too has been in the PIT, standing room only.

Bottomline...I think people should stand. This is a ROCK concert, not a Neil Diamond show.

As the guy who started this thread, I wanted everyone to know that I am saying FUCK IT - I AM STANDING. This is my 1st Wilco concert, and I'll be damned if I am pressured into sitting. EVERYONE should stand! Bob

So instead of allowing yourself to be pressured into sitting, you are advocating pressuring people to stand?

As the guy who started this thread, I wanted everyone to know that I am saying FUCK IT - I AM STANDING. This is my 1st Wilco concert, and I'll be damned if I am pressured into sitting. EVERYONE should stand! Bob

If only life were so simple......

......sit and stand, depending on the song, that's my (and apparently Jeff Tweedy's) advice. (yes I'm repeating myself from way back in the early part of this thread)

it will all work out in the end, I expect.