Stand...or sit?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it has also been said in this thread that Jeff has been a little pissy with people who sit. Bob

No, not at all as long as it's not through the whole show, and that's my point. He was highly appreciative of the Portland crowd for figuring out when to stand, and when not to in a 'formal' theater (official Olympic translation: theatre) setting. He really seemed to like that people did both. you can be their leader and orchestrate the whole thing~! cheers.gif

Guest Speed Racer

Yes, but it has also been said in this thread that Jeff has been a little pissy with people who sit. Bob

Yeah, and then there was that dude who got ejected from a show because he stood and was an ass about it. So take your pick!

Stand up, sit down, clap, clap, clap, clench? Seriously?!?! Everything I know I learned in Kindergarten... be respectful of others, but don't let it ruin your good time...

I might disagree on which song to stand or sit for, if so I find an aisle or a corner or a corridor where I can dance around. If I know I need to move when others need to sit I try to keep moving so I am not in someone's way. If you seek you will find. That said there is always the grumpy person who just does not want to be at a rock concert. Not my problem! No way to fix that.

Woo Hoo!!

It's really not that hard.

If everybody around you is sitting...you sit.

If everybody around you is standing...you stand.

Don't sing along so loud as to annoy people.

Don't shout out "woo hoo" during the quite songs.

Don't block the view of people behind you holding up you cell phone for a one minute crappy phone video.

Don't spend the whold night talking.

Don't drink so much taht you miss the show with beer runs and Pee breaks.

If you do drink too much, don't pass out or throw up on annybody.

It's just that simple.

This has turned into a very educational thread, and I appreciate all my fellow Wilco fans advice. Ruth Eckerd Hall has nowhere to roam to dance in the aisle. There is no escape once you are in (there will be absolutely no drinking for me, sadly), so I will just have to go with the flow. Bob

Bob, see you at Ruth Eckerd. My wife and I will be the ones in the center of row K standing and enjoying ourselves. :cheers

Don't shout out "woo hoo" during the quite songs.

Don't block the view of people behind you holding up you cell phone for a one minute crappy phone video.

Don't spend the whold night talking.

Don't drink so much taht you miss the show with beer runs and Pee breaks.

If you do drink too much, don't pass out or throw up on annybody.

It's just that simple.

I completely agree with you on all of your "dont's," but at a rock and roll concert (with a full band), you ought to stand. It's obvious that the members of Wilco agree, so you should certainly stand during a Wilco show. How many fucking reports do you have to read of Tweedy scolding audiences to sit to make you realize that you should stand. It's not that hard!

Guest Speed Racer

I completely agree with you on all of your "dont's," but at a rock and roll concert (with a full band), you ought to stand. It's obvious that the members of Wilco agree, so you should certainly stand during a Wilco show. How many fucking reports do you have to read of Tweedy scolding audiences to sit to make you realize that you should stand. It's not that hard!

When on earth did being a decent, respectful human become the hardest fucking thing in the world?! If no one else around you is standing/smoking/yelling/pushing other people - and even then, if someone asks you politely to refrain from doing whatever you're doing - then be a courteous person. This rule doesn't just apply at concerts.

This thread may as well be titled, "How to be polite and socially appropriate?" The fact that it has gone on this damned long just blows my fucking mind. Do you all really think there's a special halo that sits atop your head, for when you want to get your way? I'm not just knocking adament standers, but also sitters in a crowd of standers, or anyone who thinks a concert is their own personal living room.

If you can't be courteous, don't leave the house. Period.

When on earth did being a decent, respectful human become the hardest fucking thing in the world?! If no one else around you is standing/smoking/yelling/pushing other people - and even then, if someone asks you politely to refrain from doing whatever you're doing - then be a courteous person. This rule doesn't just apply at concerts.

This thread may as well be titled, "How to be polite and socially appropriate?" The fact that it has gone on this damned long just blows my fucking mind. Do you all really think there's a special halo that sits atop your head, for when you want to get your way?

You're completely missing the point.

Of course, I would not stand if I was the only person in my section standing, etc. Most people aren't social idiots.

The point is that standing at a rock show should be an EXPECTATION. People should only attend a rock show if they can stand or if they know that the venue has a special section for those that lack the ability.

It's the people who go to a rock show and expect to sit who are the problem.

Wilco shows=STANDING

Maybe they should put it on their website in the "Shows" section or something, but the people who go to rock shows and expect to sit are morons who are ruining a really great thing. Rock and roll isn't about comfort. Being a Wilco fan, you should know that.

Guest Speed Racer

The point is that standing at a rock show should be an EXPECTATION.

Wilco shows=STANDING

Does it really matter what your personal expectations are? People "should" give me three feet of space when they pass me in their car, when I'm on my bike. A lot of times they don't. I could feel salty about that, or I can adjust my expectations to what usually happens. At Wilco shows in seated theaters, a lot of people usually sit, regardless of what you expect them to do. Sometimes they rock out, sometimes they sit; coming to a show with expectations about how several thousand other people should act is a good way to get pissed off and piss other people off.

Rock and roll isn't about comfort.

Also not about controlling other people's experiences. ;)

A thread about standing or sitting can get fiery!

Here is my experience at two Wilco shows.

When I saw them on the YHF tour they played an old theater...no one was standing. After the first song ended...Jeff said "This isn't Wilco the movie, stand up folks!"

and we stood the rset of the show.

I then saw them on the GIB tour and we were in the 2nd row, but there was a PIT section that for some reason they did not sell tickets for. We were standing up..and someone behind me, actually asked me to sit down..which REALLY pissed my wife and I off. Who doesn't stand up in the second row? WTF people?

Anyway...after the second or third song.. Jeff once again came to the rescue and said..."Hey Guys (talking to the security officers), we have this empty space up here, is it okay if the people come up front?" The bouncer nodded, and my wife and I dashed to the stage..and ended up right in front.

every other Wilco show I've been too has been in the PIT, standing room only.

Bottomline...I think people should stand. This is a ROCK concert, not a Neil Diamond show.

Why you calling out Neil Diamond....his shows rock..and furthermore he should be in the RRHOF.

Guest Speed Racer

Why you calling out Neil Diamond....his shows rock..and furthermore he should be in the RRHOF.

Furthermore, there seems to be a lot of standing all up in his concerts:

Diamond%201.JPG

l_b174cdb90de067641b0cdb1ea37d9ede.jpg

What's the socially acceptable norm for tweeting the setlist to the person next to me?

What if I'm in the aisle seat? How many times should one have to get up to let people go get $8 beers? Should the aisle person stop that person from drinking?

Is it ok if I get a foot massage while Muzzle Of Bees is being performed? Follow up: Is it ok if I give myself a foot massage during I'm The Man Who Loves You?

What if one has to pass gas during the show, say during Passenger Side, is it ok to turn the other cheek?

What if you make it to your seats and the young cutesy couple is acting all chatty cathy? Is it best to start talking to yourself and act all crazy intermittently shouting "I go...Wilco...where I go...Wilco"?

Is it ok if you're short and the person in front of you stands and you start throwing eggs at their back?

What if one accepts a phone call during Kamera? Is it ok to take that person's phone and dismantle it in front of them and scream in their face "YOU LOSE!!".

What if someone is still sitting in their seat after the show is over? Is it ok to check the person to see if they are dead?

If I can't get answers to these specific questions here, is it ok to go and ask Ask Jeeves?

:ninja

Really? when's the last time you went to a rock concert? :lol There have been morons/discourteous assholes/talkers/crowd singers at every show I've ever been to. Just something I've come to expect and for the most part have gotten over.

Specifically Wilco related, tho, I have not sat at one show, ever. And I've seen them in seated venues, outdoor venues, and bars. Not one person has ever asked me to sit down. Now I will say that I don't get balcony seats, so that could be the reason.

Guest Speed Racer

Really? when's the last time you went to a rock concert? :lol There have been morons/discourteous assholes/talkers/crowd singers at every show I've ever been to. Just something I've come to expect and for the most part have gotten over.

No, I get that. A lot of rock shows ARE crazy, but Wilco has kind of mellowed out, for the most part. You don't see them acting like it's 1997 anymore, and you really shouldn't either. Most of the asshole anecdotes in After the Show stand out because the individuals' behavior stands out.

People basically come here and say, "A lot of people were sitting at the last show I went to. Are there any special rules that allow me to be an asshole to those ticket-paying people behind me?" If you're going to be an asshole, just be an asshole; don't try to come to a forum and ask permission - how rock and roll is that? :lol

What's the socially acceptable norm for tweeting the setlist to the person next to me?

What if I'm in the aisle seat? How many times should one have to get up to let people go get $8 beers? Should the aisle person stop that person from drinking?

Is it ok if I get a foot massage while Muzzle Of Bees is being performed? Follow up: Is it ok if I give myself a foot massage during I'm The Man Who Loves You?

What if one has to pass gas during the show, say during Passenger Side, is it ok to turn the other cheek?

What if you make it to your seats and the young cutesy couple is acting all chatty cathy? Is it best to start talking to yourself and act all crazy intermittently shouting "I go...Wilco...where I go...Wilco"?

Is it ok if you're short and the person in front of you stands and you start throwing eggs at their back?

What if one accepts a phone call during Kamera? Is it ok to take that person's phone and dismantle it in front of them and scream in their face "YOU LOSE!!".

What if someone is still sitting in their seat after the show is over? Is it ok to check the person to see if they are dead?

If I can't get answers to these specific questions here, is it ok to go and ask Ask Jeeves?

:ninja

Gorgeous! Just like the whole thread, I really enjoy reading this one... :D

No, I get that. A lot of rock shows ARE crazy, but Wilco has kind of mellowed out, for the most part. You don't see them acting like it's 1997 anymore, and you really shouldn't either. Most of the asshole anecdotes in After the Show stand out because the individuals' behavior stands out.

People basically come here and say, "A lot of people were sitting at the last show I went to. Are there any special rules that allow me to be an asshole to those ticket-paying people behind me?" If you're going to be an asshole, just be an asshole; don't try to come to a forum and ask permission - how rock and roll is that? :lol

yeah, I see what you're saying but I think I've just resigned myself to the fact that even though Wilco shows may be considered mellow, they're still not the symphony. I just kind of go with the flow these days. And I've pretty much decided I prefer the air guitar playing frat guy to the girls in the row in front of me who talk to each other the entire show.

Guest Speed Racer

yeah, I see what you're saying but...I just kind of go with the flow these days.

That's exactly what I'm saying. :lol For the most part, I don't get pissed off at people who are enjoying the show; I only get upset with people who are set to impede others' experiences, whether by thrust or by nag.

Don't shout out "woo hoo" during the quiet songs.

Don't spend the whole night talking.

Don't drink so much that you miss the show with beer runs and Pee breaks.

If you do drink too much, don't pass out or throw up on anybody.

It's just that simple.

I think this should be posted at concert venues like the signs at hotel pools. But like the hotel pools, there's no lifeguard on duty.

When I was a kid, my uncle had a sign in the poolhouse bathroom/changing room that said, "We don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in our pool". At the pool gate, a sign read, "Welcome to our ool. The 'P' is missing. Please keep it that way." I thought it was hilarious then, though now I think that 2 signs was overkill.

Carry on.

You're completely missing the point.

Of course, I would not stand if I was the only person in my section standing, etc. Most people aren't social idiots.

All evidence of life experience shows this statement to be somewhat flawed.