Stand...or sit?

I would strongly recommend that anyone in favor of standing throughout an entire theatre show do what I did in Jacksonville in 2008: don't just stand up, make dramatic motions with both arms IMPLORING everyone around you to get up. (Get up! Get up!) :lol

I'm not saying it worked - it didn't - but it might. And if it doesn't, at least you gave it the old college try.

There are several of us on this thread who have already stated we will get up at the beginning of the show specifically referenced by the original poster. If we all summon our fellow concertgoers to jump to their feet, they might do it, and they might stay up, too. However - and this is a big however - if Wilco open a theatre show with Muzzle of Bees, Ashes of American Flags, or a similar song with a somewhat slower beat, you can expect the natural reaction of people to get up, applaud, and sit right back down. Wilco are really not a "dance" band, IMHO.

Also, as a guy who has chronic back pain, I have no problem sitting down when my back begins to ache...as it inevitably will after 30 minutes or more. So I would amend the statement If everybody around you is standing...you stand to read, If everybody around you is standing...you can sit if you want to take a break, but don't be a little bitch about it.

Edit: for the poster who mentioned it being a pisser to find themselves sitting at a Wilco show, would you honestly expect a crowd at a theatre with nice comfortable seats to stand all through the songs I mentioned above? Or through Reservations, Was I In Your Dreams, Everlasting Everything, Less Than You Think, Bob Dylan's Beard, The Lonely 1 or any of a host of slower Wilco songs?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody,

I'm new here...great community. This is definitely an interesting debate. The last three Wilco shows I was at (UICX2 & Madison) I was somewhat taken aback by the sitting. Everybody around me was sitting; therefore I sat. As much as i wanted to stand (I'm a 'sway-er') I was not ready to impose myself upon those around me. That being said, I was slightly put off, staring longingly at those on the floor who were standing. For next time, I might consider walking around asking people if they wanted to trade: perhaps a sitter recieved floor seats, and vice versa.

There's really no answer. The only thing I can say is to be respectful. Be respectful, and things will usually turn out OK. If everybody else is sitting, perhaps turn around and say "Mind if I get up for this one, it's kinda upbeat?" I know...not very 'rock n roll.' But, much like society, there are no objective rules. The only way to maintain peace is to follow your intuition, be open and honest, follow your belief if it's that important to you, but also sometimes acknowledge that you just have to suck it up if it's something as inconsenquential as positioning at a concert.

I love the debates. Thank you. Thank you. Dcarter, I am in Row V and will be looking at row K. I doubt I can spot you, but will try. Give me a call if you want to hook up! My email addy is peteboiler@hotmail.com and let me know it is you and I can give you my #. Sadly, I know of no other Wilco fans other than my girlfriend and I, and we will be in clearwater earlier in the day. Bob

Um. OK. I've been to several Wilco shows, and thankfully, only one of that handful was a "seated" venue. I didn't enjoy that aspect of the show, because one, without upfront tickets, there's little chance for getting up close and personal, center stage, and two, it's only natural to want to stand. Of course, if EVERYONE around me had remained seated for the whole show, then obviously I would have. But at this particular show, as with many, I"m sure, it was a bit of a conundrum. Everyone in front of me was standing, including the 6'5" dude directly in front of me. Directly behind me, two girls chose to sit the ENTIRE night. I realize that's their choice, but I felt bad that they had to stare out my ass all night as I rocked out (appropriately, of course) right in front of them.

So, I obviously have no wisdom to add to this that hasn't already been said. Stand if you want, sit if you want, just don't be an ass about it either way!! Most importantly, though, have FUN!!! And, I can only name three things that are fun while sitting...seeing a rock concert isn't one of them! But that's just me ;)

That said there is always the grumpy person who just does not want to be at a rock concert. Not my problem! No way to fix that.

So true. Some people just have a hard time enjoying themselves and there's nothing a fellow concert-goer can do about that.

As a person whose back hurts if I stand up for 3 hours straight, I enjoy the option of having a seat for before the show starts and for the mellow moments. Gonna have to suck it up for the GA Montreal show on Saturday!

Another "rule" I go by: If the folks in front of me are standing and I wanna see, I stand. It's Just That Simple.

I would strongly recommend that anyone in favor of standing throughout an entire theatre show do what I did in Jacksonville in 2008: don't just stand up, make dramatic motions with both arms IMPLORING everyone around you to get up. (Get up! Get up!) :lol

I was at the Jacksonville show, and it was a somewhat contentious situation at a few points. Even Tweedy said from the stage that he wasn't going to take sides.

I was at the Jacksonville show, and it was a somewhat contentious situation at a few points. Even Tweedy said from the stage that he wasn't going to take sides.

Ha! I remember that. I eventually wound up going out into the aisle, where people were dancing without anyone yelling at them to sit down. It was a weird vibe indeed. Hope Clw is better.

I stand to pee, sit to shit.

That's interesting. I am just the opposite.

I was at that show. It got ridiculous. I was standing, but I let the people directly behind me know that if it was a problem, I would sit. Then someone came up to me and told me that they were security and told me to sit down. So I asked to see the head of security and he said that I could stand as long as I was in front of my seat and that the other guy did not work there. I even saw someone complain about me standing to a security guard and he blew them off.

I see the points on both sides, and I don't think it should be that hard for people to navigate this issue. There's probably times to sit and times to stand depending on the song. That said, if you want to sit, you shouldn't be surprised if the people in front of you are standing.

Jesus, it ain't the New York Philharmonic. Get up and boogie!

I, too was at the Jacksonville show that is being discussed. Some folks certainly had an issue with standing. My wife and I stood for almost the entire show. As long a someone else is standing in my general area, I'm a gonna stand.

I think it really ruined that show. That is one of the worst gigs ive heard from wilco. I dont know if it was bad memories but it felt like they were distracted by the quarreling. I know I was

I was up in front on the loge so I got to look down on it all (and stood for most of the show; no issues). That was the first of three shows in a row that I saw. The sound was the best of the three, it was an awesome setlist and Florida Theatre is a great venue, but I'm sorry to say Jax audiences in general suck. I saw Indigo Girls the other night and some arse 'ole actually complained about a guy who was setting up to tape at the front of the loge, because his microphones peeked out over the railing and "obscured their vision."

I apologize on behalf of Jacksonville, even if I'm not originally from here.

It's really not that hard.

If everybody around you is sitting...you sit.

If everybody around you is standing...you stand.

Don't sing along so loud as to annoy people.

Don't shout out "woo hoo" during the quite songs.

Don't block the view of people behind you holding up you cell phone for a one minute crappy phone video.

Don't spend the whold night talking.

Don't drink so much taht you miss the show with beer runs and Pee breaks.

If you do drink too much, don't pass out or throw up on annybody.

It's just that simple.

Thank you, Crow. :cheers

It's really not that hard.

If everybody around you is sitting...you sit.

If everybody around you is standing...you stand.

Don't sing along so loud as to annoy people.

Don't shout out "woo hoo" during the quiet songs.

Don't block the view of people behind you holding up you cell phone for a one minute crappy phone video.

Don't spend the whole night talking.

Don't drink so much that you miss the show with beer runs and Pee breaks.

If you do drink too much, don't pass out or throw up on anybody.

It's just that simple.

moses_with_tablets.jpg

I was up in front on the loge so I got to look down on it all (and stood for most of the show; no issues). That was the first of three shows in a row that I saw. The sound was the best of the three, it was an awesome setlist and Florida Theatre is a great venue, but I'm sorry to say Jax audiences in general suck. I saw Indigo Girls the other night and some arse 'ole actually complained about a guy who was setting up to tape at the front of the loge, because his microphones peeked out over the railing and "obscured their vision."

I apologize on behalf of Jacksonville, even if I'm not originally from here.

That was the first of 2 shows in a row that I saw and I agree about the sound and setlist (except for opening with Sunken Treasure - that's my favorite opener - and the Misunderstood into Cars Can't Escape - perfect! - 1st encore in Charleston). It IS a beautiful venue, a grand 20s movie palace like my own Tampa Theatre (will Wilco ever return to it?). The sit/stand deal didn't bother me.

Ha! I remember that. I eventually wound up going out into the aisle, where people were dancing without anyone yelling at them to sit down. It was a weird vibe indeed. Hope Clw is better.

I had a great time.....look forward to going to the lw....lets have another PBR before.

Hal

At the 2/20 Madison show I was in the only area on first level above the floor where about 20 people were sitting. Our seats...right in the middle of these sitters. I would have preferred to stand (I also would have preferred to drink my beer without a sippy-cup top - more on that later), but we sat and danced the shit out of our chairs and had a great time. From the looks of the immobile crowd around us, we would have had a hard time standing in front of them. Plus, after the show I noticed a guy a few seats down putting his shows back on...who takes their shoes off? A sitter...that's who!

This tour was the the first time I saw them indoors and the first time I had to deal with the Sit or Stand thing. It was the Portland show and has been said in the thread, the crowd just figured it out. I was a bit self-conscious during start of "At least that's what you said" when I was the only one standing around me but I knew that it was going to get LOUD quickly so I didn't stress over it too much. Sit or Stand is not a new thing, I've had to deal with it for about 20 or so years by people who started to act like a concert is a a movie...weird vibe but whatever, I don't let it get in the way of the band I'm trying to enjoy. If people sit, I'll sit but if it's a rocking song that I want to dance to, I'll get up regardless.

My first Wilco show I spent listening to this girl behind me talk all the way through the opening act to all her friends. Her friends were quiet but she was one of those verbal diarrhea people that just need to hear themselves talk. As wilco came on and they started playing the first song, she kept talking. I turned around and firmly but politely said, "I came here to listen to this band, not to hear your conversation, please stop talking now". She looked like she was going to say something and then her friends apologized and they all went to another location

:music

A far cry from the jerk who talked all the way through and acoustic neil young show I saw in the 90's at the same place Wilco just played...