The Bottle Rockets

The Brooklyn Slide was the only album of theirs I ever owned. I gave it away to a friend of mine years ago.

(It's sort of interesting that this announcement comes out - and those Coffee Creek shows appear on Dime a Dozen yesterday.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brooklyn Slide was the only album of theirs I ever owned. I gave it away to a friend of mine years ago.

(It's sort of interesting that this announcement comes out - and those Coffee Creek shows appear on Dime a Dozen yesterday.)

I thought about the whole Coffee Creek/Bottle Rocket release, too.

I pre-ordered the discs from Bloodshot - I don't have any Bottle Rockets stuff. Enjoyed that Indianapolis tune.

The Brooklyn Side is a great album, probably their greatest,  Glad to see they are reissuing it.  Never heard the demos.  Rosie played the version of Indianapolis with Uncle Tupelo on her show last night. What a kick.  Will have to hit up the Bloodshot folks for this.  I have all their albums, at least the official ones, but will be happy to get some of this early material.

(Maybe this will be enough incentive for the Bottle Rockets to actually get out the movie done a few years ago and still unissued.)

LouieB

Very, very excited for the re-release of both records.  Will be nice to own the self-titled record legitimately.  Looking forward to seeing them live in January.

Used copies of the Brooklyn Side should be pretty easy to find. (I have bought one or two over the years to give to people.) Admittedly the first album is much harder to come by.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well post this here.

Bottle Rockets are re-releasing the first two albums, including the debut which has been out of print for about 20 years, with tons of bonus material. Tweedy and Farrar make an appearance.

http://www.spin.com/articles/bottle-rockets-indianapolis-uncle-tupelo-stream-reissue-demo/.

I went ahead and preordered this to check them out. Sounds like some good fall driving music, and not a bad deal price wise. Looking forward to it.
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep forgetting that I pre-ordered the disc. Looking forward to getting it.

You should have it any day, then. I got mine last week and have been driving around listening to it.

I was really not at all familiar with these guys beyond having heard the name. It's pretty good stuff, but not sure I want to listen to two full discs with bonus tracks, without maybe switching them out with someone else. Maybe I'll pull out some of my old Uncle Tupelo discs, or even the Coffee Creek show...

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to the first disk yesterday. I have the original material anyway. The demos and early concert material is good enough as extras. you can't tell the demos have Jeff and Jay on them.

LouieB

I listened to the first disk yesterday. I have the original material anyway. The demos and early concert material is good enough as extras. you can't tell the demos have Jeff and Jay on them.

LouieB

How was the Hideout show, Lou?

I'll let Lou give you his wisdom, but I was there and it was rowdy.  My ears were buzzing on the way home,but they sounded great.  It was the first time I'd seen them and the venue is legendarily tiny.  Very high energy.  They aimed for a mix of "past and future", playing old songs as well as those slated for a future album yet to be recorded.  

Last night was generally the same as you describe. I'll add that the show seemed to get louder as the show went on. Also the ongs seemed to be played faster than expected.

Where you at the High Dive show? We taped them there 5 years ago. Hopefully that DVD will eventually come out. Intesting venue.

I'll let Lou give you his wisdom, but I was there and it was rowdy.  My ears were buzzing on the way home,but they sounded great.  It was the first time I'd seen them and the venue is legendarily tiny.  Very high energy.  They aimed for a mix of "past and future", playing old songs as well as those slated for a future album yet to be recorded.

Who are you? Someone I know I assume? If not sorry we didn't meet.

Great show at the Hideout, a place I have seen hundred(s) of shows, but this was the first time ever that the BRox played there. Luckily Tim was there and got to do one of his famous intros. Had a long talk with Mark the drummer and the Bloodshot folks. This reissue was Bloodshot's largest pre-order sale ever. I also enjoyed Otis Gibbs, who I have seen when he opened for them before. I gotta say, I don't know how many bands play old style country rock like this anymore (Drive By Truckers), but these guys are really still very good after all these years, at least to me.

Was a big show weekend for me. I caught a bluegrass show in Evanston the next night that was really long also. (and then did my radio show on Sunday. Not bad for an old guy.

LouieB

Thanks for the reviews all - I have been playing the reissue a lot, really enjoying it.

Speaking of Tim, I saw him at Lincoln Hall Saturday morning  - wanted to ask him if was still working in DC, but didn't get the chance.