Does anyone have any idea what this guitar is? It's the double cut-away, hollow-body, green/yellow burst...the headstock definitely had some white inlay work (as seen from row Q). By the headstock it looked like a Zemaitis...but I have seen no such model created by them. Thoughts?

If this has been covered, please shush me and point me in the correct direction. Thanks!

This thing? Not sure what it is....it looks kinda like an old Kay style headstock... 4377104029_4996cf3a4f_o.jpg

?

DSC09696.jpg

Good find.

What is that? EDIT: Kay Red Devil:

http://www.guitargonauts.info/picks/52/

The body style looks identical, but Tweedy's has lots of different details. Different color, obviously. Different pickguard, different headstock ornamentation, no whammy, different pickups, no black toggle switch on upper bout. I'm guessing they're different version of the same model. Or, maybe Tweedy's is a custom made reproduction.

Me too.

Fretboard inlays look similar.

Yeah, those oversized dots are pretty distinctive. Pizza slice dot inlays. :lol

I haven't been able to find Tweedy's model in Google searches for Kay guitars.

Did Kay make guitars that were sold under different brand names? That was a fairly common practice among instrument manufacturers back in the '50s-'60s, and might explain the different headstock badge.

In the issue of Fretboard Journal with Tweedy on the cover, there is talk of his recent interest in vintage Kay guitars. I would definitely say that is what this one is. The earlier picture posted is of course one of his Barney Kessels. That Kay is extremely cool looking I must say...thanks for the post and the pictures!

Me too.

Fretboard inlays look similar, as does the shape of the truss rod cover.

Looking at those two photos a little more, the super clunky neck/body joint on those two examples are the same. It's gotta be the same model, just with different features.

That version tweedy has--looks like the pickups are the Kay Barney Kessel signature 'kleenex' style, which were only made '63-'67, so i guess that dates the guitar...i just did a restoration on a similar guitar (kay galaxy) that someone had pulled a hendrix on with some light fluid and a match, sad...good sounding guitars...

Did Kay make guitars that were sold under different brand names? That was a fairly common practice among instrument manufacturers back in the '50s-'60s, and might explain the different headstock badge.

I believe so.

There we are...jimmyjimmy, where did you find that photo? yours?

No, not mine. You got me interested so I did a quick Flickr search and sorted it by recent uploads.

according to wikipedia:

Kay manufactured guitars under different names: 'Old Kraftsman' guitars for Spiegel, 'Sherwood' and 'Airline' for Montgomery Wards, and 'Silvertone' for Sears. Also, Kay produced a line of Archtop Acuostics called Kamico, which have become rather rare.

add to that: 'tru-tone'

• 1 month later...

This thing? Not sure what it is....it looks kinda like an old Kay style headstock... 4377104029_4996cf3a4f_o.jpg

?

DSC09696.jpg

I have a page-a-day guitar calendar, and tomorrow's page is this guitar.

Tomorrow I will post what the calendar says about it.

I have a page-a-day guitar calendar, and tomorrow's page is this guitar.

Tomorrow I will post what the calendar says about it.

You obviously already peeked, might as well just go ahead and write what it says.