What bands or artist do you like more than Wilco?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until about 3 years ago, I would have said no one. Now:

1) The Avett Brothers

2) My Morning Jacket

3) The Grateful Dead ( I have rediscovered them)

4) Uncle Tupelo

5) Wilco ( but they are still great)

Given your name I can't believe you didn't mention Vermont's Phinest!

On the last years Wilco have become my favourite band ever so, besides The Beatles and Dylan, I would mention:

- Long time favourites: Bruce Springsteen, Justin Currie, Del Amitri, Radiohead, Richard Hawley, David Bowie & Tom Petty

- New music I really love: Fleet Foxes, The Felice Brothers, Soulsavers...

Well, the list could go on and on but Wilco, right now are on the first place!!!!

On the last years Wilco have become my favourite band ever so, besides The Beatles and Dylan, I would mention:

- Long time favourites: Bruce Springsteen, Justin Currie, Del Amitri, Radiohead, Richard Hawley, David Bowie & Tom Petty

- New music I really love: Fleet Foxes, The Felice Brothers, Soulsavers...

Well, the list could go on and on but Wilco, right now are on the first place!!!!

Awesome! I am a big Del Amitri fan too! I have been spinning their debut alot recently..love Breaking Bread, I Was Here and Hammering Heart. Only got to see Del Amitri once in concert but have seen Justin two times and spoke to him at the last one! :cheers

Awesome! I am a big Del Amitri fan too! I have been spinning their debut alot recently..love Breaking Bread, I Was Here and Hammering Heart. Only got to see Del Amitri once in concert but have seen Justin two times and spoke to him at the last one! :cheers

Oooh, that's so unusual to find Del Amitri fans anywhere!! Good to know! Justin's next album is out next May (and he's got a mini tour in the UK too). He's an amazing songwriter!!

Sorry for the non-Wilco related content here, rest of people! But this is pretty exciting, at least for remphish1 and me!! ;o)

i love them too!. Last to know and Nothing ever happens are top faves. my first girlfriend had a major crush on Justin Currie!

These days, no one. Over the past 25 years, The Who, The Stones, The Replacements, and The Jayhawks have been in the top spot at one time or another. They have dropped from the top spot from either lack of relevance (The Who), age (The Stones and The Who), or hanging it up (the Replacements and The Jayhawks). Without new material, the bands tend to fade from my CD player/Ipod. I'd put Paul Weller, Cracker, and The Avett Brothers in the second tier after Wilco.

Given your name I can't believe you didn't mention Vermont's Phinest!

I like Phish but they are not close to the band they once was. The phish907 was just something that I came up with, really no meaning behind it other than knowing it would draw some criticism on this board several years ago when I joined.

Guest Runaway Jim

I like Phish but they are not close to the band they once was.

Have you been paying attention to them since they returned in '09? I wasn't into them when they were on fire in the early to mid 90s, but based on all the recordings I have, I'd say they're pretty close to the band they once were. Their shows are still the best out there.

Of artists/bands still "alive" (i.e. releasing new music), I'd say I enjoy Drive By Truckers & Lucero a little bit more than recent Wilco. Bon Iver and TV on the Radio are very close, too... just waiting for more from those two before fully promoting them. Paul Westerberg was once at the top of the list, but he's unfortunately been dropping in my book lately... get out of the damn basement, Paul!

Of alltime bands, I'd have to say The Replacements, Minutemen, Afghan Whigs & Husker Du are hard to beat. But the Wilco catalog stands up very well against them, all in all.

I think the only acts who i would say i like better than Wilco are Radiohead, Muse, and Bruce Springsteen, and thats mostly because ive been into those three for a while, while i really just became a fan of Wilco over the summer.

Guest Runaway Jim

Afghan Whigs

I have been meaning to give them a listen for years now. I saw the Twilight Singers at the Double Door here in Chicago in 2006, I think. That show was pretty awesome.

I have been meaning to give them a listen for years now. I saw the Twilight Singers at the Double Door here in Chicago in 2006, I think. That show was pretty awesome.

Oh, most definitely check them out - just a great, great band with a distinctive alt-rock-meets-r&b-sound. Greg Dulli, in his prime, was the epitome of cool.

"Black Love" is probably my favorite album of theirs, but all of them kick some serious ass.

Have you been paying attention to them since they returned in '09? I wasn't into them when they were on fire in the early to mid 90s, but based on all the recordings I have, I'd say they're pretty close to the band they once were. Their shows are still the best out there.

Yes, I am familiar with the new stuff, perhaps I have just grown out of the Phish craze. I still really enjoy their music but I never thouoght they were the best live band out there. I was a dire hard Dead fan who caught on to Phish around 93'. I have been to about 5 or so Phish shows and they were excellent, but never came close to Being there era Wilco shows or MMJ shows from It still Moves or current day energy of the Avett Brothers. I also got tired of the whole atmosphere around Phish shows, made me enjoy it less and less each time I went to see them.

Guest Runaway Jim

Yes, I am familiar with the new stuff, perhaps I have just grown out of the Phish craze. I still really enjoy their music but I never thouoght they were the best live band out there. I was a dire hard Dead fan who caught on to Phish around 93'. I have been to about 5 or so Phish shows and they were excellent, but never came close to Being there era Wilco shows or MMJ shows from It still Moves or current day energy of the Avett Brothers. I also got tired of the whole atmosphere around Phish shows, made me enjoy it less and less each time I went to see them.

I hear ya, man. To each their own. I also am not really interested in the atmosphere at the shows, whether it's Phish or another band. I'm just in it for the music. To me, no one makes better music than they do.

Dulli seemed like a fat, drunk asshole, but the show was great.

He is! But that is part of the charm :pirate I saw the Afghan Whigs once in State College, PA. Dulli first thing he says is "How are you doing you listless mother f*ckers". If that is not a welcome I don't know what is. I can't look at youtube here but try and find a copy of the Whigs doing Superstisous/Going to Town from Germany? I think. It is interesting to watch him berate the crowd.

Dulli seemed like a fat, drunk asshole, but the show was great.

ha ha, indeed - he used to be a thin, drunk asshole back in the Whigs days - but in a good way. :)

He is! But that is part of the charm :pirate I saw the Afghan Whigs once in State College, PA. Dulli first thing he says is "How are you doing you listless mother f*ckers". If that is not a welcome I don't know what is. I can't look at youtube here but try and find a copy of the Whigs doing Superstisous/Going to Town from Germany? I think. It is interesting to watch him berate the crowd.

i think this is the one you're referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBCbqNkb_O0

also classic:

"You're young and relatively beautiful, let's go." :lol

and while we're at it, this is one of my faves alltime:

I seem to recall one video (also from a european festival - wtf?) where he berates some dude in the audience for being an asshole, but I can't seem to find it.