Now Playing: March, 2010

come on, solace. I don't like the album either. It has nothing to do with patience. Really.

For me, the keyboards ruin it. I've listened to it four times now. I can appreciate the melodies more, and some of the songs are somewhat catchy, but the keyboards gloss over virtually the whole album, locking it into a very narrow dynamic range. The album has no high or low points that I've been able to detect.

Anyway, now playing:

184201_1_f.jpg

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fair enough.

some people don't like dream pop, i understand. but i'd still argue the album does require more patience to fully reveal it self, even to myself as fan of Beach House since their first album.

it just seems in my observations like jff is scared of liking ANYTHING that has even the tiniest ounce of buzz is all... maybe i'm wrong. sometimes great music/albums/bands get tons of deserved buzz, it's not always "hype" is all i'm trying to say.

I must admit that if I weren't so smitten with Teen Dream, I would complain about how repetitive all the songs are. Even some of my favorite ones like Norway, Walk In The Park, or True Love. But the emotional impact and the vocal delivery is breathtaking and gorgeous.

For me, the keyboards ruin it. I've listened to it four times now. I can appreciate the melodies more, and some of the songs are somewhat catchy, but the keyboards gloss over virtually the whole album, locking it into a very narrow dynamic range. The album has no high or low points that I've been able to detect.

high points for me 'Silver Soul', 'Walk In The Park', 'Take Care', & 'Norway', but i guess for me the entire album is so strong that my favorites change every time i listen.

Beach House definitely are not for everyone, and i'll admit that while i liked the Self-Titled and Devotion a good amount, they really knocked it out of the park for me.

I must admit that if I weren't so smitten with Teen Dream, I would complain about how repetitive all the songs are. Even some of my favorite ones like Norway, Walk In The Park, or True Love. But the emotional impact and the vocal delivery is breathtaking and gorgeous.

that's it for me. and i guess sometimes if something is so gorgeous i actually enjoy when it's drone-y like Teen Dream. takes me away and my mind just drifts. kinda like why i love Sun Kil Moon so much too. both are absolutely the perfect late night listens for me.

it just seems in my observations and from his comments that jff is scared of liking ANYTHING that has even the tiniest ounce of buzz is all... maybe i'm wrong.

Uh, yeah, you couldn't be more wrong. What specifically have I said that makes you think I'm "scared of liking ANYTHING that has even the tiniest ounce of buzz"?

A few examples:

I love the St. Vincent albums, and I was exposed to approximately the same amount of buzz, maybe more, for those as for the Beach House album.

Dungen got buzz all over the place and they've been one of my favorite bands for the last three years, or so.

I never owned a Wilco album or attended a Wilco concert until after all the YHF buzz.

Surfer Blood sounds good to me. Tons of buzz there. I've only heard a few of their songs, but they've been on my Amazon wish list for a while.

well, jff, to be fair, I think you did start this by saying that you weren't surprised that you didnt like the album given all the buzz it had around here. Or something like that.

^^ what Matt said. i guess the album has been online since November so by this point i figured any/all hype had died down about TD and people either love it or it's not their thing.

i just kinda think that most of the folks on Via aren't the type to typically just buy into straight up/typical Pitchfork hype and if they really like something enough to post about it a bunch on here, then it's worth checking out, so there's no need to be all that skeptical on here is all i was trying to get at. cheers.gif

well, jff, to be fair, I think you did start this by saying that you weren't surprised that you didnt like the album given all the buzz it had around here. Or something like that.

Fair enough, although I never said anything about "around here", so nobody needs to be taking my opinion of this cd personally.

I was not aware that purchasing a heavily hyped/buzzed cd and listening to it four times in two days = being scared, across the board, of liking any and all music that has gotten a a little bit of hype/buzz.

Fair enough, although I never said anything about "around here", so nobody needs to be taking my opinion of this cd personally.

I was not aware that purchasing a heavily hyped/buzzed cd and listening to it four times in two days = being scared, across the board, of liking any and all music that has gotten a a little bit of hype/buzz.

nah, it wasn't just comments on Beach House... recall some about the new Besnard Lakes and a couple others. like i said, if i'm far off, then that's just me reading into things wrong, so no offense meant at all. thumbup.gif

i just kinda think that most of the folks on Via aren't the type to typically just buy into straight up/typical Pitchfork hype and if they really like something enough to post about it a bunch on here, then it's worth checking out, so there's no need to be all that skeptical on here is all i was trying to get at. cheers.gif

:thumbup

There have been plenty of albums I've learned about and enjoyed as a result of participating in this website. Plants and Animals is one that come to mind off the top of my head.

:thumbup

There have been plenty of albums I've learned about and enjoyed as a result of participating in this website. Plants and Animals is one that come to mind off the top of my head.

the new P&A? for some reason that one hasn't quite clicked for me like Parc Avenue did, but i absolutely adore that band (especially live), so i'm gonna give it more listens this weekend. i didn't NOT like it, but from the new songs they played @ Pitchfork Fest last summer i was expecting to be blown away i guess.

nah, it wasn't just comments on Beach House... recall some about the new Besnard Lakes and a couple others. like i said, if i'm far off, then that's just me reading into things wrong, so no offense meant at all. thumbup.gif

No offense taken.

I've only heard one Besnard Lakes song (courtesy ofthe current Uncut sampler, definitely a highlight of the sampler), and it was after I posted about them, so I wouldn't disparage them. What I said was that their name always makes me think I'm seeing the name Barenaked Ladies. There's actually a sceintific phenomenon that has shown that our eyes detect the first and last letters in words, while paying much less attention to the middle letters.

Besnard Lakes

Barenaked Ladies

Lots of similar middle letters amongst those four words.

the new P&A? for some reason that one hasn't quite clicked for me like Parc Avenue did, but i absolutely adore that band (especially live), so i'm gonna give it more listens this weekend. i didn't NOT like it, but from the new songs they played @ Pitchfork Fest last summer i was expecting to be blown away i guess.

Well, I was referring to Parc Ave. I haven't heard the new one yet. Hopefully I will soon.

ah, definitely go in expecting a somewhat dramatic difference from Parc Avenue at least.

re: BNL vs. Besnard Lakes, it's funny that i never made that comparison w/ their names before but i've now heard it from a few diff people and now i think it myself, haha. doesn't help that they're both from Canada either.

ah, definitely go in expecting a somewhat dramatic difference from Parc Avenue at least.

re: BNL vs. Besnard Lakes, it's funny that i never made that comparison w/ their names before but i've now heard it from a few diff people and now i think it myself, haha. doesn't help that they're both from Canada either.

How dramatic?

How dramatic?

maybe i need to revisit Parc Ave again to see if maybe my memory is fading me, but it seemed quite different style & tone-wise to me (then again so did the live songs last summer too tho). not saying it's a bad thing, just hasn't hit me yet through 3 listens. maybe i'll throw it on this afternoon.

i do love the video for The Mama Papa tho:

http://branch.vimeo.com/9403961

maybe i need to revisit Parc Ave again to see if maybe my memory is fading me, but it seemed quite different style & tone-wise to me (then again so did the live songs last summer too tho). not saying it's a bad thing, just hasn't hit me yet through 3 listens. maybe i'll throw it on this afternoon.

ohhh, i didn't know they had a new album that's leaked. i'm gonna go searching for that!

this afternoon i'm making it a soul session (until i find plants and animals)

513R7EG1KIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51HphPJnw9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51RTG%2BrSTDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg51YctjJcq4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just dragged this one out again...

51mA3plymvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These guys should be much better known. Pure pop goodness from France, produced by Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow.

Good song. If that marks the new difference, I'm looking forward to it.