• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really liking the album. Not a huge departure from the last 2 but very solid. Wondering if they'll be picking up a significant fan-base opening for Pearl Jam. Days of seeing them in small venues winding down?

Speaking as someone who used to frequent Pearl Jam's message board (and attended a few shows), I think the response will be mixed. Some fans will automatically jump on board for any band Pearl Jam endorses. Others will think BoH are wimpy. I'm sure some will bring out the popular argument that they sound too much like My Morning Jacket (especially given the fact that MMJ is a former PJ opener). Many simply will not show up for an opening act.

I'm looking forward to seeing Band of Horses at the Cleveland show. I've been a fan for a couple years and haven't seen them live before. Their spot on the bill is what made me decide I had to make the trip from PA. Otherwise I would have gone yet another year without seeing Pearl Jam. I'm hoping my fan club membership gets me up nice and close to the stage so that a largely empty arena/ apathetic PJ fans won't ruin the experience for me.

I'm contemplating downloading the new album so that I'll be familiar with the material before the show. Having trouble finding a good link that doesn't require me to register with any sites though.

new album is really solid, if not really mellow (but at least gorgeous) on the whole.

think i may end up liking it more than the 2nd but def not gonna top the first one for me.

as for them opening for PJ, yeah it's gonna be fairly mixed reactions. they're not rocking enough overall (MMJ can be and often are live), and they're more twangy than MMJ these days too.

I would be pretty surprised if Pearl Jam fans don't like Band of Horses. They may not rock hard enough but once he starts singing he will win people over very quickly. Just saw them in concert a few weeks ago and they were fantastic.

I would be pretty surprised if Pearl Jam fans don't like Band of Horses. They may not rock hard enough but once he starts singing he will win people over very quickly. Just saw them in concert a few weeks ago and they were fantastic.

plenty will, but a good chunk of hardcore PJ fans hate almost every opener they have, which is absurd to me because PJ have some of the best openers around usually.

plenty will, but a good chunk of hardcore PJ fans hate almost every opener they have, which is absurd to me because PJ have some of the best openers around usually.

That is very true. I saw them back in the 90's and the crowd pretty much Boo'd American Music Club off the stage. Pearl Jam is a great band but the crowd does seem to be somewhat close minded. I guess it's the mass success.

But I brought a friend to Band of Horses that is that kind of music listener and he was blown away.

lol at your avatar.

Thanks. The mullet is just as funny as the snake. :lol

But yeah, had the pleasure of seeing BOH and a small club in Asheville, NC. Might be the last chance I get, as I agree that the Pearl Jam tour will bring them success.

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to Infinite Arms on vinyl last night, and I have to say it was a wonderful experience. Upon first listen of the leak I was disappointed, but it's growing on me and may end up as one of my favorites of the year.

They were great opening for Pearl Jam in Cleveland last week. I was excited to see that that a pretty large crowd showed up to see Band of Horses. The best way I can explain it is to say that it felt like a real concert. The lights went down and I felt like I was seeing a headliner, not an opening act. But I had a pretty good seat I'm biased, so I may be way off here.

i was interested in seeing BoH open for Pearl Jam, but apparently their change in record label has also created changes in other areas...they are insisting that i sign a release that gives the copyright of photos i take, w/ no compensation due me.

uh, no thanks. i'll sit outside until you are done.

I was at the Pearl Jam/Band Of Horses show in DC/Northern VA Thursday night and BOH covered "Can't Hardly Wait" by the Mats. Maybe that's something they do often, but I was happily surprised.

I still enjoy Pearl Jam's records, including the recent ones, and always try to catch them at least once when they are on tour. They have always been such a great live band, but the crowds at their shows have gotten so strange to me. Considering many fans openly compare them to Zeppelin or the Who, it is odd that at a show most folks are sitting on their hands waiting for radio hits from the first few records. Very little knowledge of album material at their shows these days.

I was at the Pearl Jam/Band Of Horses show in DC/Northern VA Thursday night and BOH covered "Can't Hardly Wait" by the Mats. Maybe that's something they do often, but I was happily surprised.

oh man, I'd love to hear their take on it.

I am loving the new album. It is likely my favorite of theirs. I definitely like it better than the last one.

edit... here's a nice version: BoH Can't Hardly Wait You tube

Anyone know where to find setlists for what they have been playing on the PJ tour? Haven't been able to come across anything outside of concert reviews. Will be opening a couple of the shows this week and just curious if they are mixing it up, thus being worth seeing more than once.

First couple of spins through the album and its solid. Still partial to their first, but they're all good in my book. The pop of "Dilly" has caught my attention at the outset.

Anyone know where to find setlists for what they have been playing on the PJ tour? Haven't been able to come across anything outside of concert reviews. Will be opening a couple of the shows this week and just curious if they are mixing it up, thus being worth seeing more than once.

Go to pearljam.com, go to tour, and all the setlists are on the left of the screen going back to the early nineties. After the shows end the setlist is usually up within 24 hours. You can judge for yourself but I think they have really mixed it up on this tour.

I think you meant BoH setlists, right? I have one from Cleveland:

BoHSetlistCleveland.jpg

Their opening sets seemed pretty static in the first four or five shows of the tour, but it seems like they might be mixing it up a bit now with the 'Mats cover and whatnot. They didn't collaborate with PJ on any of the dates I saw, either - really bummed I missed Ben on "All Along the Watchtower" the other night. :ohwell Ah well.

I think you meant BoH setlists, right? I have one from Cleveland:

BoHSetlistCleveland.jpg

Their opening sets seemed pretty static in the first four or five shows of the tour, but it seems like they might be mixing it up a bit now with the 'Mats cover and whatnot. They didn't collaborate with PJ on any of the dates I saw, either - really bummed I missed Ben on "All Along the Watchtower" the other night. :ohwell Ah well.

Yes, I was asking about BoH. Thanks for the info...guess I'll see how the pre-party is going to decide if I go in for both of there sets. Looking forward to the Black Keys as well!

well, fwiw i thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

I think reviews have been a tad harsh, some have labeled this record as being uninspired or lacking passion, and I don't necessarily get that. Making an album with 75% pleasant soft rock doesn't mean it is uninspired, I actually find it to be reassuring and comforting. Man between Boh and the Grand Archives there is some sweet 70's AM vibe out there (which is right up my alley).

My biggest criticism (which holds true for most bands these days) is that Boh should have stuck with the 10 song album, because the last track and On My Way Home kind of go nowhere.

Also if you are a lyric person then this is not for you, and likely Boh was never for you, because lyrically it is kind of lacking.

I think the strenght has always been capturing a mood/emotion, which this album has those moments.

I really dig this band, they seem sincere/genuine.

well, fwiw i thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

I think reviews have been a tad harsh, some have labeled this record as being uninspired or lacking passion, and I don't necessarily get that. Making an album with 75% pleasant soft rock doesn't mean it is uninspired, I actually find it to be reassuring and comforting. Man between Boh and the Grand Archives there is some sweet 70's AM vibe out there (which is right up my alley).

My biggest criticism (which holds true for most bands these days) is that Boh should have stuck with the 10 song album, because the last track and On My Way Home kind of go nowhere.

Also if you are a lyric person then this is not for you, and likely Boh was never for you, because lyrically it is kind of lacking.

I think the strenght has always been capturing a mood/emotion, which this album has those moments.

I really dig this band, they seem sincere/genuine.

I agree with this. I like this album. I like it more than the last and less than the first. But I like it more than I thought I would have sighting this board. Seems plenty inspired to me.

Mediocre piece of work. The lyrics seem especially lazy. Nice first half, than fades into nothingness and banality. I'm not saying the lyrics are incredibly important for this band. What I am saying is the lyrics come off like they didn't give a shit.

I saw the youtube video and you didn't miss much.. It was actually kind of bad IMO... :hmm

Yeah...upon viewing the video, I'm not too torn up about missing it. Ben seemed...awkward.

Man between Boh and the Grand Archives there is some sweet 70's AM vibe out there

I feel you on this.

Mediocre piece of work. The lyrics seem especially lazy. Nice first half, than fades into nothingness and banality. I'm not saying the lyrics are incredibly important for this band. What I am saying is the lyrics come off like they didn't give a shit.

You no like?

How about Ben performing Hunger Strike with Pearl Jam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6MkU0tBZ-8

I love this one. Ben still comes off as a bit awkward, but it seems like he was just overwhelmed by the experience. The vocals actually worked quite nicely in my opinion. Much better than All Along the Watchtower.

As a side note, I'm officially obsessed with Infinite Arms. I totally understand why so many people are disappointed with it, but I can't get enough.

How about Ben performing Hunger Strike with Pearl Jam?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=D6MkU0tBZ-8

I love this one. Ben still comes off as a bit awkward, but it seems like he was just overwhelmed by the experience. The vocals actually worked quite nicely in my opinion. Much better than All Along the Watchtower.

As a side note, I'm officially obsessed with Infinite Arms. I totally understand why so many people are disappointed with it, but I can't get enough.

Cool link, thanks. Ben sounded almost Cornell-esque (Cornellian?) in parts.