How about Ben performing Hunger Strike with Pearl Jam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6MkU0tBZ-8

I love this one. Ben still comes off as a bit awkward, but it seems like he was just overwhelmed by the experience. The vocals actually worked quite nicely in my opinion. Much better than All Along the Watchtower.

As a side note, I'm officially obsessed with Infinite Arms. I totally understand why so many people are disappointed with it, but I can't get enough.

I'm also really digging the new record. It kind of is the same experience I had with Ryan Adams Cardinology. Everyone was blasting that record also, but they just seem pure on some level. I don't know how to describe it. I listen to enough music to know these records aren't breaking new ground and that they aren't lyrical genius, but if it connects with me, who cares? I've listened to enough crap with supposed cred to last a lifetime and I still can't make it through Vectamist, so I'm over it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but they just seem pure on some level. I don't know how to describe it.

I couldn't agree more. Ben moved back to the South a couple years ago (Mt. Pleasant in Charleston county) and you can hear it in the music. The music is more pure, less pretentious and sounds more "Charleston"... Kind of hard to describe if you haven't lived there I guess (I lived there a few years).

I couldn't agree more. Ben moved back to the South a couple years ago (Mt. Pleasant in Charleston county) and you can hear it in the music. The music is more pure, less pretentious and sounds more "Charleston"... Kind of hard to describe if you haven't lived there I guess (I lived there a few years).

I vacation with my wife's family down in that neck of the woods every summer (Kiawah). I always take Cease To Begin on my ipod on that trip. I like to think of "Islands on the Coast" as my soundtrack

This album is so great. It's sounds so cliche but it really does get better with each listen. The wife and I just drove around Saturday and listened to this. Such a beautiful album to drive around. I totally get the South Carolina vibe from it some others have mentioned. I live in SC and driving around the other day, it just felt perfect.

I really like this record. It seems to be getting poor reviews. The first four songs are all class. The second half kind of mellows a bit but its a nice record. They've not re-invented the wheel here but sometimes nice solid tunes will do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the record. Its got a nice feel. Yeah, its mellower than previous albums, but its got a nice vibe in my opinion.

Interesting that while the critical review has ben tepid this side of the pond the reviews in the UK have been universally favourable. Spoke to my brother last week who's recently bought 5 or 6 new albums and this was his favourite. So maybe B.o.H, are on their way into that small group of American bands who do better overseas.

Interesting that while the critical review has ben tepid this side of the pond the reviews in the UK have been universally favourable. Spoke to my brother last week who's recently bought 5 or 6 new albums and this was his favourite. So maybe B.o.H, are on their way into that small group of American bands who do better overseas.

That does seem to be the case here in the UK. The album has got very good reviews here and they have sold out most shows on their recent tour. They also had a good performance on the Jules Holland TV show which can make bands in the UK. Anyway, irrespective of perception, I'm still enjoying the record. It also sits well with the unusually good weather we have had over here in the two couple of months!!

Ugggh..tell me someone here has an extra for the Brooklyn show! I was slow to buy one because it falls on fathers day. Now that my fathers day plans are set I can freely go to the concert and now it is sold out! If anyone has one drop me a pm! :dancing

• 1 month later...

Saw BOH here in Columbia MO last night, and I can say this was one of the easiest concerts to enjoy that I've been to probably since seeing the Avetts earlier in the year. They were on fire from the get go. The new songs hold up against the back catalouge. I have nothing negative to say. They also threw in a cover of Gram Parson's " A Song For You" which was sweet.

Is it just me or does this band, especially Ben Bridwell seem like pretty normal nice guys?

SThey also threw in a cover of Gram Parson's " A Song For You" which was sweet.

I downloaded a a show they did in Germany earlier this year, which included that song. It's absolutely gorgeous. I was familiar with the original, but it never hit me the way their cover did. I listened to it once yesterday and it's been stuck in my head since.

I really want to see these guys again as soon as possible - as in, I've been thinking about them every day since I saw them open for Pearl Jam in May. So far it doesn't look like they're coming to my city any time soon.

It's kind of funny. At the end of 2009 I was a casual BoH fan. Didn't really care if I'd ever see them live, but the albums were pleasant to listen to. In 2010 they come out with an album that gets horrible reviews and suddenly they're one of my favorite bands. Who would have thought?

Is it just me or does this band, especially Ben Bridwell seem like pretty normal nice guys?

I could have sworn I had read some pretty negative stuff about Ben a while back. I'm thinking he flipped out on a fan who was taking pictures at a show, or something like that? But between seeing them live and watching a few interviews this year I too thought that Ben came off as a very pleasant kind of guy. Someone you might like to meet.

At the risk of coming off like a total namedropper jerk :lol Ben bought me a beer when I ran into him at a bar after Lollapalooza last year. He was exceedingly gracious, kind and friendly and stayed to chat with me and my friend for quite a while. Other friends who have met him have had similar experiences.

• 5 months later...

This is a behind the scenes look at the Austin City Limits taping of Band of Horses. The video shows scenes from rehearsal followed by a transition into the actual performance consisting of time-lapses that include a little red caboose (referring to the story behind "Ode to the LRC").

Band of Horses ACL

I enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...