RIP Mark Linkous ... of Sparklehorse

Not sure if there are any Sparklehorse fans out there. They are my favourite band, bar none. They (or he) have been pretty quiet for a few years now but, by the looks of this article on Paste, thats about to change. New project with Dangermouse, featuring Flaming Lips, Iggy pop and David Lynch!!. Looks amazing. Really can't wait for this one.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009...-posse-for.html

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this looks very interesting. Can't figure out how David Lynch figures in but it looks like Black Francis is involved!

I know Lynch has done quite a bit of music himself. He had a album out a couple of years ago, called 'bluebob', which was very industrial and atmospheirc (as you would expect). I woundn't be suprised if his contribution related to the album artwork though. If you look at the artwork for the first Sparklehorse album (Vivadixie......) it is quite influenced by Lynch. This whole project does look very interesting though. I loved the last Sparklehorse record, although it did seem to get some negative press at the time. If I recall, Dangermouse produced a fair few of those tracks aswell.

Thanks for posting, Vivadixie and It's A Wonderful Life are among my most listened to albums on my ipod, and Linkous is one of my favorite working musicians. I've been particularly into Rainmaker lately.

Danger Mouse produced a couple of tracks on Dreamt, the reviews did seem to be a bit mixed on that one, but I don't recall anyone really hating it. There are some really great songs on it that are among the best things he's ever put out, Knives of Summertime was one of the best songs anyone put out that year. I guess I could do without some of the more longer slower dirgey tracks, but I can even kind of get into those when I'm in the right mood. This new one looks damn intriguing.

--Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out folks. This is the website for the new Sparklehorse/Dangermouse collaboration titled "Dark Night of the Soul". The album is due in July apparently. If you look at the picture on the website that is David Lynch (smokin'), Mark Linkous (Horse Mask) and Dangermouse (down the front). Lynch must be seriously involved then. This is going to be so good.

http://dnots.com/

Good Morning Spider is in my top 20 albums of all time list!!! It just does something to me!

Its a great album. Songs like Painbirds, Pig, Happy Man, Junebug. Very, very good. 'Vivadixiesubmarinetranssmissionplot' is, in my opinion, even better. However, bearing in mind who's involved, this new one is promising to be very special.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.spin.com/articles/sneak-peek-da...nchs-dark-night

There's more detail on this release on the above link. The guys at Spin have heard the album and give a track by track review (see below). David Lynch is providing vocals on two track as well as producing a 50 page book and staging a seperate exhibition. Flaming Lips and Jason Lytle involved too. New Wilco album leaks are one thing....but this is a bit more exciting and tasty in my opinion. Any other Sparklehorse fans out there looking forward to this? You can check the dnots.com website for more lynch imagery and a link to buy some merchandise.

"Gnarls Barkley mastermind Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse, a.k.a. North Carolina songwriter Mark Linkous, first worked together on Sparklehorse's last album, 2006's SPIN-praised Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain. Then they began writing songs for a collaborative release as Dangerhorse, which, Linkous said, would recruit a slew of guest singers.

In the process, Danger Mouse, a.k.a. Brian Burton, a longtime fan of David Lynch films like Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive, asked the director to join the project. Lynch, who sings two songs on the album, added a multi-media aspect with a 100-page book of photos that will accompany the release. 50 of the pics will also be featured in a Dark Night of the Soul art exhibit at Los Angeles' Michael Kohn Gallery from May 30 - July 11.

What does the album sound like? The title, Dark Night of the Soul, provides clues. The phrase, from the writing of 16th-century Roman Catholic mystic Saint John of the Cross, has become a metaphor for loneliness and desolation in a person's spiritual life. The all-star cast of vocalists -- also including Grandaddy's Jason Lytle, Cardigans' Nina Persson, and the Shins' James Mercer -- sing a loose narrative about solitude, lost love, and disturbing dreams. The music shifts genres from electro-pop and Ringling Bros.-like jingles to sludge metal and country, but is unified by the ethereal production sheen Mr. Mouse is known for.

Below, for the nerdiest of music nerds, we offer a track-by-track breakdown:

"Revenge," feat. Flaming Lips / 4:54

About reaping revenge on an ex lover and the man she left him for. "In my mind I have shot you and stabbed you through your heart," Wayne Coyne sings over a keyboard-driven waltz with bells, throbbing bass, and xylophone. "I had all the means of bringing you fuckers down." And you thought he was a UFO-lovin' hippie.

"Just War," feat. Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals / 3:44

Relationships are a battle. "Goodbye, sleep tight," Rhys sings, bidding a lover adieu. "Just war / You said it wouldn't hurt / The last survivor crawling through the dirt." Whistling, slide banjo, and layers of intermittent noises, from a detuned radio-like static to samples of honking car horns, make this one of the album's weirdest cuts.

"Jaykub," feat. Jason Lytle / 3:53

Like the Beatles -- if they were bred in rural Nebraska and fed magic mushrooms. Alt-country acoustic guitar joins a Sgt. Pepper's-like piano showtune and angelic backing vocals as former Grandaddy singer/songwriter Jason Lytle details a man's dream of winning an award. "They all thought that you were dumb / But it's you up on the podium," Lytle sings.

"Little Girl," feat. the Strokes' Julian Casablancas / 4:33

With a surf-rock drum beat and a Chuck Berry-on-acid electric guitar lead, this track's like a 1950s sock-hop at Ed Wood's house. And the Strokes frontman has a hot and scandalous date. "You twisted little girl / Showing them what love is all about," he sings about a conniving lass who stole his heart. "Where did all the time go? / Everything is gone."

"Angel's Harp," feat. Frank Black / 2:56

Imagine the Pixies squealer fronting the Melvins. The religion- and love-themed lyrics are nothing new for Black -- but the slogging, uber-distorted electric guitars and skittering blips that sound like a disk drive from a 20-year-old computer certainly are. And they make him sound scarier than ever.

"Pain," feat. Iggy Pop / 2:52

"I'm a mix of god and monkey!" Pop spits in this chaotic punk tune with fuzzed-out guitars and charging, Stooges-like rhythms. "There are good people in this world of bums," he moans. "But sadly I am not one!" It's a song about pain -- and Pop's got plenty to sing about.

"Stars Eyes (I Can't Catch It)," feat. David Lynch / 3:11

The album's most transcendent, heart-wringing track is Lynch's lament on love lost. Fittingly, it's also the most filmic, custom made for a scene from one of his surrealist narratives. "I can't catch you

On a related point, how is David Lynch received over in the US? In Europe he is treated as a bit of a legend. Does he have the same exposure and reputation on your side of the pond. I know there are plenty of cases of bands/directors etc acheiving success in Europe whilst struggling in the US, and visa versa. I know bands like Sparklehorse, Mercury Rev (Their last album is a much underated piece of work) and the EELs seem to have a really solid fan base in Europe.

Lynch is a large cult figure in the States. A rabid fan base and his films are usually critically acclaimed. Most people are freaked out by him I think. And there's the futile inclination to "figure out" his films that many get preoccupied with (leading to confusion/disappointment/dismissal of his work).

Lynch is a large cult figure in the States. A rabid fan base and his films are usually critically acclaimed. Most people are freaked out by him I think. And there's the futile inclination to "figure out" his films that many get preoccupied with (leading to confusion/disappointment/dismissal of his work).

I agree with you on that. I feel no real need to understand films like Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire. I just like to experience them as you would a piece of art or photo. Lynch is an artist first and foremost.

I agree with you on that. I feel no real need to understand films like Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire. I just like to experience them as you would a piece of art or photo. Lynch is an artist first and foremost.

The first two hours of Mulholland Drive is classic Lynchian and near perfect. The last twenty minutes or so is when all the confusion sets in. I don't know what the hell was going on with Inland Empire.

NPR is streaming the entire album here

Dark Night of the Soul won't be released until July — and, at least for now, no legal downloadable version of the album will be offered. Once the album and book are finally released, only 5,000 copies will be available. But you can hear the entire collection here on NPR Music as an Exclusive First Listen.

5000 copies? I just ordered it.

Album Canned Over Label Battle

Danger Mouse, David Lynch, Sparklehorse album canned over label battle

Risk of legal action forces 'Dark Night Of The Soul' music being pulled

An official CD album of the forthcoming project by Danger Mouse, Sparklehorse and David Lynch, will not be released due to the risk of legal action from Danger Mouse's record label, EMI.

The 'Dark Night Of The Soul' album features vocalists including The Strokes' Julian Casablancas, Iggy Pop and Frank Black – but due to what Danger Mouse (real name Brian Burton) described in a statement as an "ongoing dispute" with the label, it won't be officially released.

The album was set to be released with a book featuring photographs by Lynch. The book will still be released next month, but will come with a blank CD bearing a sticker with the message: "For Legal Reasons, enclosed CD-R contains no music. Use it as you will."

In the statement Burton said he hoped that "people lucky enough to hear the music, by whatever means, are as excited by it as he is".

So basically steal the album and burn it to the blank disc provided with the book.