Peter Gabriel - Scratch my Back

I've heard mostly bad things, but a couple good. Our local music critic (Hi Walter) liked it. I like his solo stuff, and I thought Up was very good from his recent work. You guys are seldom off the mark as a group, and even less timid. So...

Is it worth my ten bucks?

I've heard mostly bad things, but a couple good. Our local music critic (Hi Walter) liked it. I like his solo stuff, and I thought Up was very good from his recent work. You guys are seldom off the mark as a group, and even less timid. So...

Is it worth my ten bucks?

Sorry, I thought it was a snoozefest. Like most cover records, I just want to hear the originals. Completely boring.....

I love it and at no point does it make me want to run out and listen to the originals. None of them sound anything like the originals which I like. If you like his voice, I can't see not enjoying it. The orchestra with his voice makes for some intense listening plus the song selection is great.

Sorry, I thought it was a snoozefest. Like most cover records, I just want to hear the originals. Completely boring.....

Heard his version of "Flume" from Bon Iver...it was okay...and yes, I'd much rather hear the original.

I'm not looking for new musical interests right now.

that's an odd little comment

not sure i've ever heard anybody say that

it's cool, you dig old stuff, but i've never heard it articulated that way

anyway, the few tracks i've heard from the gabriel sound pretty good. i just think the guy is too good to be doing this. and he should get his ass to the freaking R&R hall of fame and sing carpet crawlers with tony, steve and mike

Well, I've really dove deeper into jazz recently. So that's filling a lot of my time. And I'm getting into a lot of 60's blues and soul records. Plus I'm really digging Plastic Beach, and the entire Sparklehorse discography these days. So I'm not lacking in terrific things to listen to.

My musical listening trends go in very distinct waves, and I try to get as much out of each wave as possible. I see no point in listening to a new album every day if I don't give any album enough time to really grow on me. When this wave dies out, maybe I'll look for something new. Or maybe a new wave of an artist I already liked will kick in.

Well, I've really dove deeper into jazz recently. So that's filling a lot of my time. And I'm getting into a lot of 60's blues and soul records. Plus I'm really digging Plastic Beach, and the entire Sparklehorse discography these days. So I'm not lacking in terrific things to listen to.

My musical listening trends go in very distinct waves, and I try to get as much out of each wave as possible. I see no point in listening to a new album every day if I don't give any album enough time to really grow on me. When this wave dies out, maybe I'll look for something new. Or maybe a new wave of an artist I already liked will kick in.

I actually know where you're coming from with this statement. There are times when I try to limit new music and focus on what I have. We have too much exposure to music these days so it is getting harder and harder to give things time to develop and fall in love with in the way we did as children.

After all, I would say I have a couple of hours a day when I can listen to music. When you compare that with the size of my record collection it just doesn't add up. Therefore stick with what you've got some times and give those records you bought but didn't connect with give a second spin.

And I also think alot of us will be visiting and re-visiting the Sparklehorse catalogue with you in the coming days and weeks. Sad and tragic news about Mark Linkous which has shook me more than I thought possible.

anyway, the few tracks i've heard from the gabriel sound pretty good. i just think the guy is too good to be doing this. and he should get his ass to the freaking R&R hall of fame and sing carpet crawlers with tony, steve and mike

I love Genesis, especially '69-'75 period, but I have no great desire to see them all get back on stage for something like the R'n'R Hall of Fame. Like the record or not, that is where his focus is at the moment. Credit to Peter for his single-mindedness. The R'n'R thing would be a nice nostalga trip but nothing more.