Hiatt's been writing great songs and releasing great records and putting on great live shows for 30+ years

just saw him on Letterman & he's as good as ever

god, he sounded great

underrated as fuck songwriter

love john hiatt

As well as Little Village

89543236.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just saw him with the Levon Helm Band.

Honestly, Hiatt doesn't do a whole lot for me. I can appreciate him as a craftsman, but none of his songs hit me anywhere where I can feel it.

He was good when I saw him. But hearing Levon afterwards just (for me) underscored the difference between a great craftsman and a great artist.

Terribly under-appreciated and unknown musician.

Not if you listen to WXRT. He has always been played (constantly) on XRT. Actually Wilco opened for him one time. I wasn't there but I heard about it.

LouieB

93.1 wxrt in chicago? it has been about 7 years since i have listened to that radio station. gonna be traveling cross country in a month or so and plan to spend a day or two in chicago. can't wait to listen to some of my favorite old radio stations.

97.1 the drive is what i listened to all through high school.

93.1 wxrt in chicago? it has been about 7 years since i have listened to that radio station. gonna be traveling cross country in a month or so and plan to spend a day or two in chicago. can't wait to listen to some of my favorite old radio stations.

97.1 the drive is what i listened to all through high school.

What other XRT could there be. They used to play Hyatt all the time. Less so now. The Drive is still on too. I breeze through all kinds of stations, but I would have to say XRT certainly helped Hyatt's career, as they have a few dozen other musicians.

I have a couple Hyatt LPs, but Bring the Family is the better one.

LouieB

Just saw John Hiatt at the Norva in Norfolk a couple of months ago. It was a good show--well attended, receptive audience--but I have to say it felt a little uninspired to me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I sort of echo what Pop Todd said about the difference between a great craftsman and a great artist. I've long been an admirer of Hiatt's music and have all his albums, but he's never really moved me the way, say, John Prine does.

Of course, in a one week span I saw Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, John Hiatt and Phish, so maybe my brain was just too overloaded at that point!