kidsmoke

Wilco Tribute #3 - 2010

12 minutes well spent! I'm sure it will be magnificent. :yes Yes, that song is open (hasn't been done previously) and no, you haven't missed any deadlines. The deadline for song submissions is June 30th. For further information on submitting your song, go here:

Submissions Guidelines link

So hey, songsmiths, how go the tunes? Progress report, anybody? :cheers

I have done a few takes and a couple of mixes. Not totally happy with it just yet. When is the submission deadline?

I have done a few takes and a couple of mixes. Not totally happy with it just yet. When is the submission deadline?

Submissions deadline is June 30th. :thumbup

Really? :blink With out going and looking this up, what are their reactions? Do they like what they hear? Do they have a favorite? Is anything else eligible for the tribute? Like Nels Cline Singers? Or The Autumn Defense?

My, you ask a lot of questions for such a sunshiny little thing! :lol The reactions we got to Tributes One and Two were extremely gratifying. The band members were effusive in their praise of the songs, and honored and touched. Sue and Jeff listened together to the first one, and afterwards she sent us the sweetest message saying how moved and charmed they had been, saying that some songs had even brought tears to their eyes. (She meant that in a positive sense!) It felt so good to give back some of what Wilco's music had long been giving us! :yes

We eventually plan to do a Tweedy tribute which will contain songs that are Jeff's but non-Wilco in nature...UT songs, or Loose Fur, or Golden Smog, etc. We haven't yet branched out as far as songs belonging to other members' side bands such as Autumn Defense, Pronto, or the Nels Cline Singers...but who knows, maybe in time we'll explore going there.

So... Wilco hasn't "routinely" performed this song in a good number of years, but my band just recorded a cover of The Long Cut that I'd love to have included if you think it's appropriate.

My band, Modern History, has recorded The Lonesome Wind That Blows if it hasn't been taken.

I'd love to hear this, but it would be inappropriate as a Wilco Tribute song, since it hasn't been done by Wilco. I say, please reserve your recording for our upcoming Tweedy Tribute, which will be done at some point following completion of this Wilco Tribute. See here for further info on that: Tweedy Tribute

There's been good interest in doing a Tweedy Tribute, since Jeff has performed with several other bands as well as doing a lot of solo shows. "Lonesome Wind" would be a wonderful addition to that tribute, so I hope you'll consider it! :thumbup

So... Wilco hasn't "routinely" performed this song in a good number of years, but my band just recorded a cover of The Long Cut that I'd love to have included if you think it's appropriate.

Dan, I did give this some consideration, since Wilco did do this song in the past, but it is simply too long out of circulation to be called a song Wilco "routinely" performs, as our rules require. I consulted WilcoBase to be certain, and found that it has been nearly 15 years since the band performed this song. That being the case, I'm going to advise the same as I did for chisoxjtrain, above...which is to say, I'd love to hear this and I sincerely hope you will hang on to your recording and consider submitting it when we open up the Tweedy Tribute for claims! :cheers Judging from the interest, I think when the times comes, we're going to have a very intriguing batch of songs for a Tweedy Tribute.

Dan, I did give this some consideration, since Wilco did do this song in the past, but it is simply too long out of circulation to be called a song Wilco "routinely" performs, as our rules require. I consulted WilcoBase to be certain, and found that it has been nearly 15 years since the band performed this song. That being the case, I'm going to advise the same as I did for chisoxjtrain, above...which is to say, I'd love to hear this and I sincerely hope you will hang on to your recording and consider submitting it when we open up the Tweedy Tribute for claims! :cheers Judging from the interest, I think when the times comes, we're going to have a very intriguing batch of songs for a Tweedy Tribute.

No worries! I just thought I'd ask since we recorded it for one of our demos. I will absolutely hang on to it and submit for the Tweedy Tribute. I will also see if I can come up with something else for us to put in for the Wilco disc - we are working on a few of their songs currently, so I will see what looks good and hasn't already been selected.

My band would like to do You Are My Face, please. We are recording presently.

A great choice! I look forward to hearing it! :thumbup

hey Kidsmoke - somehow I missed this. I would like to participate. Quick q. I assume there's no interest in repeats, right? My drummer and I play You are My Face, but I see that one is taken. We can come up with another one, of course.

hey Kidsmoke - somehow I missed this. I would like to participate. Quick q. I assume there's no interest in repeats, right? My drummer and I play You are My Face, but I see that one is taken. We can come up with another one, of course.

Right, no repeats...read over the guidelines for all info. But I'd love to have you participate, Matt! Deadline is June 30th, so there's still plenty of time. Let me know what you'd like to do! :thumbup

Merrick Section just finished in the studio, and (if may say so myself), we ROCKED IT!!! A few days to let them mix it down, and we'll be presenting a pretty damn cool "Misunderstood" for you all! Can't wait to hear what the rest of you did. This is FUN!

Merrick Section just finished in the studio, and (if may say so myself), we ROCKED IT!!! A few days to let them mix it down, and we'll be presenting a pretty damn cool "Misunderstood" for you all! Can't wait to hear what the rest of you did. This is FUN!

I can't wait to hear this! :dancing :thumbup :cheers :music :rock

Ok. I just uploaded my version of Hell Is Chrome.

I have to admit that I am a little nervous about my track. Having never heard the previous VC tributes, I am not sure how mine will stack up against the others. It is pretty lo-fi: just me, my guitar and a few banjo & harmonica overdubs recorded in my house. I hope it comes across ok.

Also, I am a Living Room Musician. I have never played in public. My largest audience to date is my cats (they seem unimpressed). So this is really the first time something of mine has been disseminated to a larger public audience. Again, I hope it comes across ok.

Anyway, for Gear Nerds out there (like me), here is the stuff used on my track:

Guitar: Martin 000-28H

Banjo: Goldtone CC 100R Plus

Harmonica: Johnson (cheap musiciansfriend.com special)

Jim, your upload came through perfectly! :thumbup I've gotta tell you musicians, I'm feeling a bit spoiled and selfish at getting to be the one to hear these songs first. Y'all are a talented bunch, and we'll have to be sure to create cover art worthy of your musical compositions. That's underway.

More music please! :cheers Upload them via the Submissions link. (See the tribute guidelines for complete directions.)

hey Kidsmoke-

sorry for the delay. I've been sick for the past week and haven't been able to pull out the ol guitars to see what I might be able to pull off. I know that I am running out of time, but I will try to get my act together in time and will give Everlasting Everything a shot.

and don't worry anthonyc007. If you've got any overdubs whatsoever, you will have me beat. I think I'll just be an acoustic guitar. Maybe a bass. I've never done one of these for Wilco, but I did one of these for Eels a few months back, and if your heart comes across, that's most important thing of all. Lowfi or Hifi didn't matter. At least on that tribute compilation. :)

How hard is that 6/30 deadline?

I'm probably not going to be able to meet it, as I'm currently without microphone. I wouldn't be able to get one until the first week of July.

hey Kidsmoke-

sorry for the delay. I've been sick for the past week and haven't been able to pull out the ol guitars to see what I might be able to pull off. I know that I am running out of time, but I will try to get my act together in time and will give Everlasting Everything a shot.

and don't worry anthonyc007. If you've got any overdubs whatsoever, you will have me beat. I think I'll just be an acoustic guitar. Maybe a bass. I've never done one of these for Wilco, but I did one of these for Eels a few months back, and if your heart comes across, that's most important thing of all. Lowfi or Hifi didn't matter. At least on that tribute compilation. :)

Well put & so true. It's the heart that matters :yes

How hard is that 6/30 deadline?

I'm probably not going to be able to meet it, as I'm currently without microphone. I wouldn't be able to get one until the first week of July.

I think perhaps a small amount of deadline stretching could be arranged, so long as we don't turn it into Tribute 2011 or anything. :lol Keep me advised, guys, and I'll work with you. I know your contributions are going to be brilliant! :thumbup

Alright. I'll try to have it done early in July. My friend's got a mic I can borrow, so I'll see if I can get it when he moves back to town from school.