kidsmoke

Wilco Tribute #3 - 2010

Posted my recording last night.

Sorry for the delay--especially to those that had theirs in months ago.

Matt, your recording came in safe & sound, and is a thing of beauty as expected! :yes The kiddos and I listened to it twice through and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the range and variety of this tribute! I've been mentally track-ordering...some songs seem to naturally want to lead or follow each other. We are at about 46 minutes length now. Cover art is being painstakingly perfected. :thumbup

Ned Zep, look for a pm from me.

:) Ok everybody, I know you are all anxiously and perhaps impatiently awaiting an update on our Tribute disc, and I'm very happy to at last be able to announce:

TRIBUTE #3 IS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a disc, everybody! :w00t Track order had to be established in order for our traycard tracklisting to be assembled, and for our song credits to be compiled in order and added to the cover art. Two hopeful song contributors had to drop out in the end, one due to an overly-full life that kept him too busy, and the other due to a serious hospital stay (but he's ok now). So when it finally shook out to the final form, we came up with 10 songs and a total time of almost 43 minutes.

First let me say that the track ordering took some thought and listening to different songs up against each other, but in the end, the ordering seemed almost to just magically fall into place as though preordained. With the order arranged, I find I can't stop listening to the thing! Volume levels are currently being mastered to match across the disc, which is the last step to be completed, and which will be swell when it's done since right now my little un-equalized disc is a pure joy to listen to but sends me scrambling for the volume control between a few song change-ups! :lol

The cover art has been completed as well, and you'll have to allow me the satisfaction of telling you it is beautiful. It really is! :yes I think (and hope) you will all be as happy with it as I am. I recommend you contributors get yourselves a package of what's called "Brochure Paper" to print the artwork (got mine at Staples, about $15 for 50 sheets...far more than you'll need, but the leftovers can be used for other cover art or even for photos). The brochure paper gives a crisp, clean, glossy appearance to the artwork, yet is thin enough to fold sharply, as needed. I'll be using this for the copies sent to the band, it looks terrific!

I am waiting now to hear back on the mastering of our disc. Once that's completed, we begin sharing the disc and the cover art will be downloadable as well.

My heartiest thanks and congratulations to every one of our contributors! :cheekkiss Together, you have created a thing of beauty! :worship

Oh! One PS - Some of you may be unaware of my unique take on what we have loosely referred to on the Tributes as "Liner Notes". Tribute 3's liner notes follow the tradition set with Tributes One and Two, with the liner notes beginning with a famous opening line from a piece of great literature. Tribute One began with, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" (Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities) and Tribute Two began, "Then was the winter of our discontent..." (Shakespeare, Richard III). From there the liner notes ramble and take on a life all their own. I won't spoil the surprise by revealing the famous opening line which begins Tribute Three's liner notes, but you will all recognize it. :shifty

Im incredibly excited!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work (and endless patience :thumbup ). Is the trackorder remaining a mystery until the release?

Im incredibly excited!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work (and endless patience :thumbup ). Is the trackorder remaining a mystery until the release?

Yes. It's kind of like not knowing the baby's gender until it's born. :lol

Trust me Justin, your song is in a terrific placement! The idea was to situate each song so as to showcase it best. :thumbup

Sooooo, any news? (yep, anxious impatience motivated post...)

I am every bit as impatient as the rest of you! Unfortunately we have hit our mastering artiste at his busiest time of year (he is a musician himself, and a very busy one) and there was also a minor glitch with the music files, since resolved I believe...it really shouldn't be long at all now. I promise to post the minute I have the finished product, and very soon thereafter I'll get it, along with its full set of cover art, available to all as a download. :)

So sorry it's been such slow going, but hang in there just a little bit longer. Repeat after me, through gritted teeth if necessary: "God is teaching me patience!"

That line has gotten me through some of the most grueling moments of parenting. :yes Might work here too. :stunned

No...stop Rob!...don't listen to that....ACK! We linked to the wrong file, the pre-mastered one, by accident! It's corrected now, but anyone who downloaded before about 9 a.m. needs to download again to get the right file. You definitely want the finished, MASTERED tracks. Mart did a terrific job on them!

So, please re-download if you grabbed it before 9 a.m. or so, ok? Otherwise you'll find that the levels don't match up. Sheesh, I'm so sorry :blush ...Brennan (who was helping) and I've had very little sleep in the past couple of days, due to our dog Bella getting ill and dying. So I guess we weren't in the best shape to be trying to put all that up. How embarrassing.

Ok, cowboy and everyone else, here's the scoop. We discovered a problem with the download file this morning shortly after we had posted it. Brennan went to "fix" it and we thought it was resolved, only to find later this afternoon that the link was still routing to the pre-mastered tracks. Bren explained to me what he'd done (how the error had occurred) but to be honest, it was convoluted enough that I didn't understand half of what he said. :lol Long story short, it had to do with how he'd named the files. Rob Hansen's post here made us realize the problem wasn't fixed & Bren investigated further and corrected the error, as of about 6:30 p.m. PST.

I am so, so sorry, folks! Even the "raw" version you have downloaded sounds terrific, I know...I listened to that enough to know! But the mastering Mart did totally puts the polish on the apple, and you deserve to have the final, MASTERED tracks. We've carefully confirmed that everything is running correctly now, so please forgive, and download one more time. The third time's the charm! :thumbup

Really. This time it's perfect. Please contact me immediately if you have any sort of problem with the download of the music or the cover art. We'll fix any problems as fast as possible. Right now, everything looks to be in perfect order.

signed,

Your Apologetic kidsmoke

Thank you so much for all of the hard work and dedication that went into this collection! It is astounding. :worship

That is so wonderful to hear! I totally agree. These musicians outdid themselves! :worship

Donna - this is really wonderful. It sounds amazing and the art is great. Can't thank you enough for all your hard work.

And a big thanks and congrats to the contributors. Each song - LITERALLY - brings a unique and cool perspective to the song. I love it and I'm proud to be on a cd with all of you.

Best,

Matt

Donna - this is really wonderful. It sounds amazing and the art is great. Can't thank you enough for all your hard work.

And a big thanks and congrats to the contributors. Each song - LITERALLY - brings a unique and cool perspective to the song. I love it and I'm proud to be on a cd with all of you.

Best,

Matt

You're very welcome, Matt.

I've started another thread in this forum just for discussion of the finished cd, so if you wanna mosey on over there and leave comments that'd be great:

Let's Talk About Tribute 3

I like what you said, Matt, and I agree...I'm loving each of these songs for exactly what is is, separate of the Wilco song itself. It's almost like discovering each song again. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say...hard to put it properly into words.

Glad you like the cover art! :thumbup