More Mermaid Avenue?

I e-mailed the web site. Here's the response I got:

Dear Jim,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Mermaid Avenue Deluxe Box Set. All we know as of now is that there will be a reissue of Mermaid Avenue, Volumes 1 & 2 along with some additional tracks from the original recording session in 1997. I don't have a track listing yet, but we will post information as Nonesuch Records makes it available.

Thank you for your interest in this special new release!

All the best,

Anna

Anna Canoni

Woody Guthrie Publications, Inc.

Woody Guthrie Foundation

125-131 East Main Street, Suite #201

Mt. Kisco, NY 10549

T: (914) 241-3844 | F: (914) 241-0299

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dance

This is great news, assuming that we're talking about a CD box set and not vinyl. I have the two Mermaid Avenue CDs and have never heard the b-sides or outtakes, and I've seen the DVD once but don't own it. I've thought about buying it, but now I'll wait and see if it's included in this box set.

This is great news, assuming that we're talking about a CD box set and not vinyl. I have the two Mermaid Avenue CDs and have never heard the b-sides or outtakes, and I've seen the DVD once but don't own it. I've thought about buying it, but now I'll wait and see if it's included in this box set.

I suspect there will be a CD and vinyl configuration

I sure hope the DVD is NOT included with any set. I bought it and watched it a couple times and sure don't want to buy it again. I would buy the CDs again (but would rather have vinyl) if it has lots of unreleased material with it.

LouieB

Always wondered where one can get "Man in the Sand." Have only seen clips of it on YouTube.

You can get brand new VHS copies of it by way of the Wood Guthrie website.

I think there are used DVD copies of it on Amazon. They use to go for a lot of money once upon a time.

You can get brand new VHS copies of it by way of the Wood Guthrie website.

I think there are used DVD copies of it on Amazon. They use to go for a lot of money once upon a time.

Time for the Woody Guthrie estate to catch up with the times and offer it on more than one medium.

half.com has the DVD for $15 (used), and Amazon Marketplace has it for $18 (used). I'm tempted to go for it, but I think I'll wait and see if it's included in the box set.

I too will wait for more information on this box set.

That is how I have it - on VHS. The original copy I bought way back when was loaned out and never returned. Someone on here kindly sent me their VHS copy.

For those that may want to hear them, there is a collection out there called "Mermaid Avenue Demos".

I had some hard times last year and I had to sell some of my more expensive vinyl. I went through and tried to guess what was likely to be reissued soon. My vinyl copy of Mermaid was one that figured into this calculation, and I was able to sell it for $120 on amazon!

A week later I bought a single copy from the bragg store when it was revealed they had some.

Luckily almost everything I sold then is slated to be reissued or has already been reissued. With mermaid, I definitely felt like those popping up at the bragg store was some good karma or cosmic wishes for my wilco collection to stay complete!

I will fess up I actually bought a ticket to see Billy Bragg 3 yrs ago and... attended

Lasted just about the whole show thoughts ...

Singing Guitar Playing : Average

Talking w/ Audience : Too Much for me

It did however cure my curiosity about wondering how his stage performance would be.

I will fess up I actually bought a ticket to see Billy Bragg 3 yrs ago and... attended

Lasted just about the whole show thoughts ...

Singing Guitar Playing : Average

Talking w/ Audience : Too Much for me

It did however cure my curiosity about wondering how his stage performance would be.

Well now ... I will "fess up" that I enjoy a Billy Bragg show more than a Wilco show. Crazy, I know -- just a guy with a guitar and a heavy accent -- but seeing Bragg in a small venue (e.g., The Ark here in Ann Arbor) is way more fun for me than seeing Wilco in any venue they play these days, no matter how good my seats are (and I'm usually down front). I still make a point of going to see Bragg any time he plays nearby, but (more fessing up) I have skipped about half of the Wilco shows that have taken place within a hundred miles of me over the past decade.

I've been a Bragg fan since the mid-'80s, so my history with him goes way back. Yeah, his voice is an acquired taste, but he's one of my favorite songwriters of all time. As much as I love Wilco, I don't think there's a single Wilco song that comes close, from a songwriting perspective, to Bragg's best from early in his career. Wilco wins on several counts (innovation, production, musicianship, etc.) but Bragg has written multiple songs that have moved me to tears, because they resonate so strongly, or just because they're So Fucking Good. Jeff Tweedy has written a lot of amazing songs, but I don't think any of them has ever done that for me.

So go on, bash Billy Bragg if you must. Just don't assume that everyone here is on board.

As for the upcoming box set, yes please. Sign me up for the vinyl ... hopefully that'll come with a free digital download. And if there really are twelve additional tracks -- even if they're all Bragg's work -- so much the better.

Bashing Bragg is just too easy. It may be hard for folks to remember, but it was Bragg who brought the young Wilco into this project and they gained alot of fans by doing it. Billy could have just as easily put togther his own band and left Wilco out completely. The results are astonishing in most respects, but this was a group effort after all.

A complete session box set certainly is in order and will be welcom.

LouieB

On a somewhat related note, I read a while back that there's been another album of Mermaid Ave/Guthrie material in the works ... except this time from Jay Farrar, Will Johnson (Centro-matic), and Jim James (My Morning Jacket). I'm really hoping this sees the light of day soon, because it could be pretty great. An article:

http://consequenceof...s-will-johnson/

And another:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/18/jay-farrar-woody-guthrie-album

On a somewhat related note, I read a while back that there's been another album of Mermaid Ave/Guthrie material in the works ... except this time from Jay Farrar, Will Johnson (Centro-matic), and Jim James (My Morning Jacket). I'm really hoping this sees the light of day soon, because it could be pretty great. An article:

http://consequenceof...s-will-johnson/

And another:

http://www.guardian....y-guthrie-album

Saw somewhere on the Internet that the album is called The New Multitudes and is gonna be released in January 2012.

Bashing Bragg is just too easy. It may be hard for folks to remember, but it was Bragg who brought the young Wilco into this project and they gained alot of fans by doing it. Billy could have just as easily put togther his own band and left Wilco out completely. The results are astonishing in most respects, but this was a group effort after all.

A complete session box set certainly is in order and will be welcom.

LouieB

exactly... if it wasnt for mermaid avenue, most austraians wouldnt know who wilco is. it was my introduction to the band