Help me troubleshoot my amp

I have a reissue of a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and I've been noticing a strange sound coming from the amp. When certain notes are played, a sound comes out of the speaker that sounds like wind, or like someone blowing against the speaker. The sound lasts as long as I hold the note.

I assume this is a speaker problem, and not an electrical problem, but I'm fairly clueless.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

I have had that issue as well with my Fender Deville. Seems like if I turn off the power and turn it right back on it goes away but it's completely random when it happens. I thought it was a rattling tube but I had them checked and replaced and it still occassionally happens. Would love to hear if you figure it out.

I haven't tried messing with tubes. Maybe I'll see if one is loose.

I need to pay attention to what note makes this happen, if for nothing other than my own curiosity. I think it happens when I play just below the 12th fret of the d string...so something in the C-C#-D range, maybe even as low as B or B#. I'm not sure if those notes played on other strings would cause the same noise to occur.

I had this same problem years ago with my fender bassman reissue. except that for me, at certain times all sound would cease except the humming. the tubes on my amp are ancient and I haven't played it in 6 years, so I don't know what the problem is. let us know if you find a solution.

this has happened to me on my DRRI before. are they the original tubes? try a better set of tubes (the groove tubes that came with the amp are crap) and make sure all of the hardware (even cabinet screws) on the amp is tight. it could be a loose screw that vibrates at a specific frequency.

I had this same problem years ago with my fender bassman reissue. except that for me, at certain times all sound would cease except the humming. the tubes on my amp are ancient and I haven't played it in 6 years, so I don't know what the problem is. let us know if you find a solution.

this has happened to me on my DRRI before. are they the original tubes? try a better set of tubes (the groove tubes that came with the amp are crap) and make sure all of the hardware (even cabinet screws) on the amp is tight. it could be a loose screw that vibrates at a specific frequency.

Thanks for the info. I bought the amp used, but I think tubes are the original Groove Tubes. I'll check it out.

Any recommendation for new tubes? I've had pretty good luck with JJ/Teslas in my other amp, but I'm open to any reasonably affordable option.

Thanks for the info. I bought the amp used, but I think tubes are the original Groove Tubes. I'll check it out.

Any recommendation for new tubes? I've had pretty good luck with JJ/Teslas in my other amp, but I'm open to any reasonably affordable option.

Go with JJ tubes. Purchase a matched pair of power tubes (as well as whatever other tubes you may need).

Makes sure something hasn't gotten stuck to the speaker magnet and is now rubbing the woofer itself. I have seen wire ties do this multiple times.

Makes sure something hasn't gotten stuck to the speaker magnet and is now rubbing the woofer itself. I have seen wire ties do this multiple times.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. In my house, there's a good possiblity that happened. My cats constantly carry whatever they can find all over the house.

My friend who is an ace guitarist with some electrical/electronics skills came over yesterday. I demonstrated the amp problem for him. He agrees that it most likely has to do with the tubes.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. In my house, there's a good possiblity that happened. My cats constantly carry whatever they can find all over the house.

My friend who is an ace guitarist with some electrical/electronics skills came over yesterday. I demonstrated the amp problem for him. He agrees that it most likely has to do with the tubes.

Filter caps and diodes will do this as well...but if you have a DRRI, then yes, its likely tubes...there also could be problems with the tube sockets if you gig a lot and the thing gets bumped around....

there also could be problems with the tube sockets if you gig a lot and the thing gets bumped around....

Well, ever since I've owned it, it's never been on a stage, and has only left my house once for a couple days at a studio.

I don't know what the previous owner did with it, but it was in pristine physical condition when I got it.

One of these days I'll get some new tubes and see what happens.