new camera policy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's directly related to Jeff's annoyance at people viewing the concert through an LCD screen rather than directly through their own eyes.

This.

The band couldn't care less about how the circulation of bad photos affects their "brand." (Video, maybe, but not photos).

Cell-phone cameras have become a scourge in the modern concert experience. Hooray for the new camera policy.

I agree that the sea of LCD screens is annoying as hell, but I think this policy is going to be tough to enforce.

Seems to me that it's more a case of justifying Tweedy's on-stage actions than anything else. Now when he has a hissy fit because someone is filming the concert, they can say "you were warned" before tossing 'em.

Heck, it's their party and they can define the terms of that party pretty much how they want to - but I just gotta think that actually enforcing a rule like this will really hurt the overall vibe of the show, much more than the problem they're trying to fix.

I agree that the sea of LCD screens is annoying as hell, but I think this policy is going to be tough to enforce.

Seems to me that it's more a case of justifying Tweedy's on-stage actions than anything else. Now when he has a hissy fit because someone is filming the concert, they can say "you were warned" before tossing 'em.

Heck, it's their party and they can define the terms of that party pretty much how they want to - but I just gotta think that actually enforcing a rule like this will really hurt the overall vibe of the show, much more than the problem they're trying to fix.

What hurts the vibe of the show is people who insist on using their cameras when they've been asked not to. Jeff's "hissy fits" wouldn't be necessary if the audience would be respectful.

This band does a lot for its fans. They play lots of shows, and in cool venues. They allow taping/trading. They keep ticket prices lower than they probably should. (Consider the tickets they released just today--they could easily have sneaked those onto StubHub like most performers, but didn't). So when they ask people not to take photos, people should put the damn cameras away.

Jeff (and the rest of the band) is trying to create a moment for people to experience together--when a band and its audience are in sync, something magical happens. And the incessant fumbling, clicking, glowing of cameras messes it up.

For Jeff to look out to a sea of phones, it has to feel something like when a great chef looks out at his restaurant and sees that half the crowd has brought their own bottles of ketchup.

My sympathies are with him, and not with the people who will have a few fewer blurry photos on their Facebook page that night.

Grrr.

from reading other recent threads around here, it may have to do with people filming the band rather than photos. unfortunately, with new phones and cameras it's hard to police who is filming and who is just snapping a photo. Jeff supposedly got on someone in Miami, read about it in that thread.

It's anyone's guess -- and I certainly was making a WAG, but this sounds plausible -- especially if, as people have noticed, Tweedy got P.Oed and started down people taping.

The band gives away so much, in terms of fan access, Road Case material and album extras that they could ban farting at shows, for all I care.

I'll have to hold it in? The methane in the lobby would contribute to global warming.

I think this is the sole reason for the "new" policy.

Unfortunately, I take it you are serious. As the photographer of the 'scary Tweedy' as someone has coined this photo, I'm not thrilled to take any portion of credit for this change, but I wondered about it. I regret posting my photos now. I took the Victoria and Portland photos without a flash or any other lights or distractions on, LCD screen off, auto focus assist off, and was unobtrusive to others. I have previously posted concert photos, including some that are linked to Wilcobase. I want to note that I only took them during a couple of songs. I don't sell them, even though I was asked, and have willingly shared them, just like taping. That's the last of my photos you'll see from Wilco shows, unless I get a pro permit, which I assume is unlikely.

A big bummer this is though! I’ve been taking pictures at shows for many years, but in the early days (remember film?), I was one of the few taking pictures and no one cared, but now its reached critical mass, and at a few shows I haven’t even wanted to take them and didn’t, because people around were so inconsiderate about their own photography (as in constant, with lights and gizmos – do you really need 200 pictures?).

In the end, I’d love to ask Jeff, was it the quantity of people taking pictures, or was it concern about good ones actually getting out there?.

What hurts the vibe of the show is people who insist on using their cameras when they've been asked not to. Jeff's "hissy fits" wouldn't be necessary if the audience would be respectful.

This band does a lot for its fans. They play lots of shows, and in cool venues. They allow taping/trading. They keep ticket prices lower than they probably should. (Consider the tickets they released just today--they could easily have sneaked those onto StubHub like most performers, but didn't). So when they ask people not to take photos, people should put the damn cameras away.

Jeff (and the rest of the band) is trying to create a moment for people to experience together--when a band and its audience are in sync, something magical happens. And the incessant fumbling, clicking, glowing of cameras messes it up.

For Jeff to look out to a sea of phones, it has to feel something like when a great chef looks out at his restaurant and sees that half the crowd has brought their own bottles of ketchup.

My sympathies are with him, and not with the people who will have a few fewer blurry photos on their Facebook page that night.

Grrr.

I don't disagree. I just think actually enforcing a rule like this, by either increased security staff or by asking fans to police other fans, is going to be pretty damn distracting, too. There won't be too many "magical" moments if people are continuously harassed by Jeff or others for wanting to take a few pics of the show. Yeah, they can chose to cooperate and not try to take photos, but you just know that isn't going to happen.

I don't disagree. I just think actually enforcing a rule like this, by either increased security staff or by asking fans to police other fans, is going to be pretty damn distracting, too. There won't be too many "magical" moments if people are continuously harassed by Jeff or others for wanting to take a few pics of the show. Yeah, they can chose to cooperate and not try to take photos, but you just know that isn't going to happen.

because wilco fans are selfish and can't control themselves?

i recall hearing a story of a performance that Robert Fripp did, where beforehand he specifically stated that no photos were allowed, period.

during the first 10-15 minutes, someone decided they were special and took a photo. Fripp noticed it, and stormed off stage. after a while, he was eventually convinced to go back and play, but the mood had totally been ruined.

let's hope Tweedy doesn't resort to that, but there's nothing to stop him from doing so.

Guest Speed Racer

Unfortunately, I take it you are serious.

You don't read much u2roolz, do you? :lol (Not to knock his serious posts, but he's - ah - prolific with the one-liners.)

Not as unlikely as you would think.

as a working pro, i just ask that fans who do get passes to be considerate of other photographers and be aware of established etiquette (eg, like not using flash unless specifically OK'd by the person granting the photo pass, not being rooted in one spot for too long, being mindful of others' positions when moving in the pit, etc).

Guest Speed Racer

In the end, I’d love to ask Jeff, was it the quantity of people taking pictures, or was it concern about good ones actually getting out there?.

He has NEVER gone on a rant about how people keep taking photos of him at bad angles. He has made it a point in his career, however, of discussing chatters and people who view concerts through their LCD screens.

You don't read much u2roolz, do you? laugh.gif (Not to knock his serious posts, but he's - ah - prolific with the one-liners.)

I should probably take his comment as a compliment, but I was so bummed to discover this thread today, my reaction was dismay. I probably shouldn't take it so seriously, eh?. Anyway, I love that 'scary Tweedy' photo, and in thinking about it, if Jeff didn't want me to get a photo like that, why was he looking right at me (or, he was totally pissed off that I was taking the picture perhaps? - I guess we'll never know). Anyway, my karma is good on this one, I actually sent a high quality print of it by request halfway around the world because of how nicely I was asked by a fellow via chicagoan.

If I had to guess, it's the quantity, not the quality, that is the band's issue regarding photography. Thereby, ego filled, I absolve myself of any guilt.

Not as unlikely as you would think.

Explain, please. I emailed the management and publicity folks listed on Wilco's site, asking if I could get a press pass, but I was told "photo passes are only issued to those photographers with an assignment from a specific, recognized publication or website."

Is there a super secret code I failed to crack?

Unfortunately, I take it you are serious. As the photographer of the 'scary Tweedy' as someone has coined this photo, I'm not thrilled to take any portion of credit for this change, but I wondered about it. I regret posting my photos now.

You don't read much u2roolz, do you? :lol (Not to knock his serious posts, but he's - ah - prolific with the one-liners.)

Yeah, the point of my post was in humor. I guess in my mind my joke was that the band are on their tour bus going from city to city and going on Mikael's laptop looking up concert photos of themselves and Jeff coming across this one and going "I look/ed like that?!"

I do think that the photo you took is amazingly beautiful and horrific at the same time. There's something about the purple background that adds to Jeff's stare into the camera.

:thumbup

Explain, please. I emailed the management and publicity folks listed on Wilco's site, asking if I could get a press pass, but I was told "photo passes are only issued to those photographers with an assignment from a specific, recognized publication or website."

Is there a super secret code I failed to crack?

Well, I am going to do a write up for my college's paper. So that may have helped. :)

I emailed Deb, and she graciously is giving me a pass and permission to shoot the 1st 3 songs.

I've never shot with a pass, and my seats are in the pit anyway, so I might just shoot from my seat for the 1st 3 songs. I would hate to get in the way of the REAL professionals.

I'm at a community college, so it's not going to be some fantastic spread or anything. Still gonna be cool to have a write up about them in the paper. :)

I don't think that's true. Once the venue's commitment to the policy is established, such as people being booted in Clearwater, everyone else's behaviors will probably fall into line rather quickly. Maybe there will be 30 minutes or so that will be awkward, but in the context of a three hour show, those seem like minutes well spent. Not only that, but it will interfere with my concert experience far less than having to watch Jeff Tweedy stare down multiple douchebags who are holding up their cameras and phones until they notice. Last summer at Royal Oak there were some intimidating signs outside the venue about cameras, and I think most people who had them along chose to leave them in their vehicles. That was a great night with a great vibe: there were no awkward stare-downs, there were no cell phones or cameras looming over my head,and there were no distracting flashes throughout the night. And did anyone really miss having stills from Royal Oak? Probably not. *cue naysayers*

I think this policy is awesome. Then again, I don't take pictures at shows and therefore haven't "lost" anything. I understand there are many people who love to see concert photos, but I don't really get that. Maybe I'm missing something, but they all just look like the "same shit, different stage." (Different clothes? Sometimes...) Richie Wireman, Charles Harris, Zoran Orlic--they all provide amazing shots to peruse on Wilco World. I love reading setlists from night to night, hearing in my head songs that haven't been played in awhile or hearing how one segued into another, but the pictures from night to night don't really communicate anything new to me. "Oh look, Jeff singing into a mic." (I'm sure I'm a rube in this regard, so no need to tell me as it's not my main point.)

Also, I think it's safe to say that this policy is not about Jeff Tweedy's vanity. :yay He has described himself, more than once, as "very simian" and uses words like "shlong" on stage. I don't think he's an "image guy."

Not everyone takes shitty shots. Some of us have nice cameras and take nice photos, and nice people enjoy looking through them.

Perhaps there's some sort of a compromise, if the holders of the magical photo-pass are allowed to take photos during the first 3 songs, why not let everyone, then enforce the rule after that?

I don't mind this policy, which unfortunately had to be enforced because a few folks got alittle overzealous. We've all heard about -- or seen Jeff's comments about putting the camera down and just enjoying the show. From the numerous You Tube posts of the same show, it's obvious that this has not been heard. And I went to Catholic school and believe that bad behavior should be punished.

And, I don't know why, but it always bothered me when someone would take pictures throughout the entire show. Maybe cos I felt that they were missing the experience when viewed through a lens and not in real life. Or, the few obnoxious folks who are like, "Well, I'm taking pictures, so it's my right to stand in your way. My camera has a telephoto lens, you peon with a point and shoot."

And I never understood the folks who tape from like way away from the stage, or behind some guys head, and post on You Tube.

I pay an outrageous amount on Stub Hub for front row tickets, I don't need your from the shitty seats video.

PS I coined the phase "scary tweedy" and it stuck. It's like my 15 minutes of fame!!!!

I have been around here going on eight years, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain about photos of Wilco posted in various After The Show threads.

I find it is quite the opposite - people enjoy looking at them.

Just because the band may be jacked up about people taking photos, does not mean we should shun those who take photos.

Remember - there are people here with Flickr and Photobucket accounts containing hundreds of WIlco photos.

I would rather look at a Wilco fan photo over a so-called professionally shot Wilco photo.

The same goes with regards to fan shot videos. Although the band is against such practices, and the links get removed when they are posted here (usually), does not mean that people do not enjoy them.

That is what people do at events. They take photos, videos, record shows, write down set-lists, share stories, etc.

Sometimes it is annoying, sometimes it is not.

I sometimes see a disturbing trend here. People are very quick to buy lots of Wilco goodies - sometimes very expensive Wilco goodies, but they are quick to dismiss the work that is shared by other Wilco fans for free.

I think we should remember than not everyone has the means to go to shows, so the audio and video out there may be the only way they can experience the band live.