new camera policy

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop ruining the concert experience for yourself, man.

;)

i know you were joking, but it's actually a bit of a paradox for me when i go to smaller club shows w/ no restrictions. due to crappier lighting, it can be hard to get all the 'shots i need' in the typical allotment of the 1st three songs, but i don't want to see the entire show through a viewfinder either. though sometimes the temptation is too much and i'll have the camera at the ready, in case an interesting scenario occurs.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah, The Current had a show this weekend with a woman who was a concert photographer, and she was talking about how it's hard to remember she's at work when she's photographing a show.

Tweedy quoted in the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.co...1834570988.html

There are some interesting comments posted online about this article, with seemingly reasonable ideas that could address the fans' wish to relive the concert experience through videotapes and the wishes of both the artist and the other concertgoers not to be distracted by a sea of cellphones held aloft. Two of the main points were

1. Have a designated filming section--anybody wanting to videotape or take pictures, go there.
  2. The band could designate someone to produce a good quality videotape of each show and sell it immediately afterwards for $5--on DVD or available for download.

Let's face it--youtube isn't going away, cellphones are getting smaller and the cameras in them are getting better--there's just no way the band can really enforce the current policy.

I agree in principle with Jeff's philosophy but the reality is that it's going to be a growing source of frustration for both the artist and the fans if some reasonable compromise isn't reached. I think both of these suggestions could be workable, and with Wilco now not being tied to a record label, they could be trailblazers. Plus, what fan wouldn't pay $5 to have a high quality recording of the show they just saw--or one they didn't get to see but wish they could have (hello, Prague!!) Sounds like a nice revenue stream to me.

Guest Speed Racer

1. Have a designated filming section--anybody wanting to videotape or take pictures, go there.
  2. The band could designate someone to produce a good quality videotape of each show and sell it immediately afterwards for $5--on DVD or available for download.

The first point doesn't take care of the annoyance to the performers of having the incessent flashing and might even make it worse if you concentrate it. The second - I just don't see it being economically viable. "Good quality" and "$5" likely won't match up any time soon.

no way the band can really enforce the current policy.

The people who have been ejected from shows probably feel differently.

The first point doesn't take care of the annoyance to the performers of having the incessent flashing and might even make it worse if you concentrate it. The second - I just don't see it being economically viable. "Good quality" and "$5" likely won't match up any time soon.

The people who have been ejected from shows probably feel differently.

I think one concentrated area for videotapers would be easy enough for both other concertgoers and the artist's gaze to avoid. And $5 is more than feasible--you wouldn't expect a commercially perfect product--just a pretty good videotape of the show. People are doing that for free now anyway--why shouldn't the band get in on the action and sell it through their website? And re the people ejected from shows--I doubt there are many of them, but I could be wrong.

I don't think there is a perfect solution, but shoveling shit against the tide doesn't work either. You couldn't have asked for a more worshipful crowd than the people at Solid Sound, for instance, and videotaping there was rampant.

Guest Speed Racer

I think one concentrated area for videotapers would be easy enough for both other concertgoers and the artist's gaze to avoid.

If the cameras can see the band, the band can see the cameras.

Again, the show taping is just not viable - logistically if not economically.

There are lots of things people do outside of concert venues that they are not allowed to do inside concert venues, even if they think it will enhance their concert experience. I don't see why adding one more item to this list is suddenly swimming upstream. Go to a show, watch a show, leave and remember it. It has worked for millenia.

Go to a show, watch a show, leave and remember it. It has worked for millenia.

And it still works for me. And I think it should work for others. But it doesn't seem to. And this is a new millennium, with new technology, and people are going to use it, like it or not.

We're not disagreeing on what should be, you know? But tilting at windmills is not very satisfying.

Guest Speed Racer

We're not disagreeing on what should be, you know?

Well, I'm certainly not. I'm saying the policy is fine and as effective as it can be. You're saying it should be different, right?

What I am about to say will blow Christine O'Donnell's mind. In the not-too-distant future we will have evolved to have microchips in our brains and ears and eyes, thus recording our daily experiences. How will the band and record labels and governments go about enforcing that? Where is the line drawn in the sand between personal experiences and licensed live music?

Imagine coming home from the Solid Sound Festival and taking that microchip of a 3 day weekend and uploading it to an editing software to make your own personal memento? Will people trade their mementos for 'closer' mementos?

Prepare yourself.

The Future Is Not Like You Imagined.

I obviously culled all of the above from my own imagination and ideas that I've received via certain sci-fi films. It would be cool though, wouldn't it?

What I am about to say will blow Christine O'Donnell's mind. In the not-too-distant future we will have evolved to have microchips in our brains and ears and eyes, thus recording our daily experiences. How will the band and record labels and governments go about enforcing that? Where is the line drawn in the sand between personal experiences and licensed live music?

Imagine coming home from the Solid Sound Festival and taking that microchip of a 3 day weekend and uploading it to an editing software to make your own personal memento? Will people trade their mementos for 'closer' mementos?

Prepare yourself.

The Future Is Not Like You Imagined.

I obviously culled all of the above from my own imagination and ideas that I've received via certain sci-fi films. It would be cool though, wouldn't it?

I'm picturing a bunch of Wall-E fatties unable to get out of our chairs, immersing ourselves in the recorded experience of the show. Sort of like Bill Maher's vision of couch potatoes in their snuggies attached to a waste removal apparatus. A brave new world indeed!

Hopefully there's some middle ground. . ..