Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

New fall tour, still no Southern dates.. I'm confused as to why they have completely bypassed the south on two full tours now... It can't be because of crowd draw because they packed The Orange Peel in Asheville last year... :hmm

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New fall tour, still no Southern dates.. I'm confused as to why they have completely bypassed the south on two full tours now... It can't be because of crowd draw because they packed The Orange Peel in Asheville last year... :hmm

they played nashville this year.

they played nashville this year.

True, but that's about as north as you can get when it comes to the south.. A six hour drive for us South Carolinian's, even more for Georgians, a little less less for North Carolinian's, and so on.... I guess I should say deep south..

I really should have just bitten the bullet and drove to Nashville.. Think they played in Alabama too. Oh well, they'll come eventually...

addicted to this band right now...shame, shame is so good...just got fate also and i love it upon first listen

just saw them a couple weeks ago at all good fest and they were phenomenal

Yeah, once you're hooked, you're hooked for life... All of their records are great. Easy Beat is probably my favorite though.. It just has that homegrown, basement sound... Plus there isn't a single clunker on the record. Every song is excellent..

• 1 month later...

September newsletter:

Greetings Everybody,

We have some NEW MUSIC.

We recorded 4 songs this summer at our friend Brian McTear's studio in Philadelphia and we're real happy with how they came out. We of course just released an album a few months back and we're not feeling particularly anxious to ask you for more money, so we're just gonna give the songs up for FREE.

NEW SONGS: FREE

Starting today, you'll be able to download the first track called "Take Me Into Town" on our Facebook page. Over the course of the next month or so we'll put the other songs out there too. Check Facebook and Twitter for info on the rest of the songs. If you don't have Facebook... don't worry about it, we'll figure out somewhere else to post the song that isn't a government-run spy site... like here (check back in a few days).

If you're not the type to be content with a music collection made up of 1's and 0's check it...

TOUR ONLY GATEFOLD DOUBLE 7 (Or New Songs Not Free)

All four of the new songs we made this summer will be available for free download. We also made a limited number of DOUBLE 7"s that will be available at shows only, beginning this fall. Scott and Dimitri made their own alphabet a few months back and used it in the artwork for this 7", which means you can't read it.. yet.

SPEAKING OF TOUR (Shame, Shame Tour)

After a fairly restful few months we're excited to be going back out this Fall. Tour dates below (and here ). We've had some... feedback let's call it, about not playing the east coast this fall. We're working on that now, and it's not done being worked, but... it's coming along. All dates are on sale now and listed at the bottom of the letter (and here).

IN OTHER NEWS (Juston's New EP)

As you hopefully know, Juston just released a new EP and has tour dates lined up for the next few months. You can keep track of Juston and get more information on the EP here.

Thanks to everyone that came out to see us this summer. See you again soon.

@...@

...@

We recorded 4 songs this summer at our friend Brian McTear's studio in Philadelphia

great little studio

Brian has picked up where Adam Lasus left off when he moved to California and recorded some amazing (mainly Philly) bands

The Lilys

Bardo Pond

The Trolleyvox

Bigger Lovers

Capitol Years

A Sides

Danielson

Matt Pond PA

Mazarin

Trouble with Sweeney

rock 'n' roll

• 3 weeks later...

just now looking at the shadow people vid link.

didn't know there was a deluxe digital with 3 extra tracks?

any good? i bought the cd.

Yeah all three songs are good. The first two songs, "It" and "What a Strange Day" are solo Scott songs. "It" has become one of my favorite Dr. Dog songs, the lyrics are brilliant.

"Oh Man" is also great, with Toby on vocals. I think it should have been on the CD.

Yeah all three songs are good. The first two songs, "It" and "What a Strange Day" are solo Scott songs. "It" has become one of my favorite Dr. Dog songs, the lyrics are brilliant.

"Oh Man" is also great, with Toby on vocals. I think it should have been on the CD.

ok. i saw this weekend you can buy them individually on amazon mp3, so i'll probably get them in the future. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

:w00t :dancing Man, I hope this happens!!!

MT: You were talking about psychedelic music before, I had read an interview where you had mentioned an accompanying album to go with your first album, The Psychedelic Swamp, which now out of print, is that still in the works?

McMicken: It’s in the works as far as; we’re definitely going to do it. It’s just a matter of time. It wouldn’t be very hard to find the time to do it. It wouldn’t be very hard because what’s required of us to complete it is conceptually built in to be very simple and kind of live rock and roll without any bells and whistles or tricks, without any psychedelia really, that’s the idea. The accompanying record to The Psychedelic Swamp would be a very very straightforward and direct, not psychedelic, translation of the whole garbled psychedelic record into just garage rock basically, that’s sort of the reason of what the whole about is about. It’s kind of a long story behind that record, but in a nutshell the idea behind it is that we didn’t make it. Dr. Dog didn’t make The Psychedelic Swamp. It was sent to us by a character named Phrases, who used to live on Earth, but escaped Earth and escaped all his woes to go to the psychedelic swamp as a means of release from all the troubles he was having in life. Then he gets there and at first he’s really excited and wowed and amazed at the lack of logic and lack of order to the universe. But he shortly thereafter realizes that the same issues and same problems persist. That his choice to just escape reality was not by any means a solution. He starts to get desperate and realizes this mistake he’s made but at the same time he’s spending all this time there and losing perspective on how to communicate with his former self and the former world that he was apart of. So the record becomes increasingly more and more incoherent. But he has this strong message that he really wants to spread to people so he chooses Dr. Dog to be the band to take this album that he’s made, it’s not even like an album, it’s kind of like a document of his experience in the swamp.

MT: At points it feels like a radio show, there’s a DJ leading you through these places.

McMicken: Exactly, it’s kind of this multimedia experience you’re hearing of the psychedelic swampland. You’re hearing what it’s like to listen to the radio there. You’re hearing advertisements. You’re hearing sort of the ambience of him being at work. You’re hearing the news. Yea. A lot of it is interspersed with sort of narrative songs. So he chooses Dr. Dog to translate this mess into an American pop context, so that his message could be heard and understood. So now we just have to do the thing of taking all the songs that are on there and like I said playing them very straightforward and recording them very simply so that they’re not manipulated at all, just straight to the point. When we do that prophecy will be fulfilled, and our job will have been done and we can release it. It seems silly for us to release it before we can do that because it’s a part of the whole concept. Also there are kind of pipe dreams about a movie. If we could ever one day turn it into a movie, that would be so great. Aside from the logistical nightmare of making a movie, it’d be pretty easy. The narrative is all there. In our heads it’s so fleshed out from point A to point B. It’s so visual in how involved we were getting into it at the time, talking about it and watching the story unfold before our very eyes on the 4-track. It’s all kind of there. It would just be a matter of getting involved with people who know about making movies and could help translate it. It’s still a work in progress. It’s something that we definitely still intend to get done one day it just becomes a question of when.

http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.php/2010/10/interview-with-dr-dogs-scott-mcmicken/

• 2 months later...

Seeing Dr. Dog tonight in beautiful Asheville North Carolina. My favorite town and venue (The Orange Peel) to see a show. :dancing

Anyone else get a chance to catch them on this tour?

I'll be seeing them May 6th! I can't wait! :dancing

Have fun tonight! :thumbup

The show was absolutely awesome.. Better than the last time I saw them a year ago. The new drummer really does enhance their loud and aggressive live sound. The guy is a madman.

This was the highlight of the evening. Toby singing "The Beach". (sorry for the crappy camera phone quality)

bottle_of_bourbon.jpg

• 2 months later...