I played a show this past Saturday. The room was filled mostly with friends and family... and a few people who stepped in from the wind and rain to have a cup of coffee.

After my set, one of those strangers came up to me to ask me about a song that I wrote about a friend who served over in Iraq -- twice ["Say You Will (A Reluctant Soldier's Plea)"].

He was a big guy (and I am not). He said, "You know that song that you wrote about the soldier?"

"Yeah?" I said, sensing some sort of potential political debate/maybe yelling match/hopefully not fistfight.

"Well, I served over in Iraq."

I got more nervous.

"And I just want to thank you for writing that song," he said looking me dead in the eye, very seriously, and a little bit sadly. "Seriously. Thank you."

I didn't know what else to say, so I shook his hand and just said, "Well, thank you for your service."

He nodded and smiled as if to say, "You got it right."

I was still stunned when another equally large man came over to me and said, "I also served and I also want to say 'thank you.'"

The same scene played itself out again. And I just about went numb.

:thumbup

Music is powerful stuff. Sounds like you tapped into that power in a pretty profound way, and by doing so there's no telling how much you might have helped those guys.

I never served, but if I had I'd probably find a great deal of comfort in the fact that people at home are thinking seriously about the experiences of those who do serve, and are trying to create something positive out of it.

That's really cool. The best I got at the last show was somebody yelled out "Slowhand Marshal" after we played Crossroads. I guess I probably need to write my own songs to make any kind of connection.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks, Travis.

Just curious: how did you find this thread?