I found an interesting article, not so much about the album (though there is a review at the end), but about the new alt-folk bands that have been popping up in the last couple of years (Avett Bros, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, etc.) and what they can do to learn from acts like Neko Case and Richard Buckner.  Interesting read

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2013/09/the_lumineers_and_mumford_sons_what_they_could_learn_from_neko_case.2.html 

Yes, that was a good (albeit wordy) read.  Ironically, Mumford & Sons is playing in my town this weekend as part of their small-town America "Gentlemen of the Road" tour.  I had no desire to attend but they sold 25,000 tickets.  On the positive side, Neko Case is playing near here next month and I have my ticket!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Neko last night.  She was pretty sick, but still sounded amazing.  Her and Kelly were hilarious as ever.  They got at least 6 'The Harder I Fight' songs, a few 'Middle Cyclone', 'Fox Confessor', and a couple old classics:  'Deep Red Bells', 'I Wish I Was the Moon'.

Throughly enjoyable, although in the excellent sound of the opera house, and from the scrutiny of a seated experience, I realized something about the Neko Case live show.  Their stage production underplays the hugeness and density of the last few records.  The guitars are tamed, and muted along with the snare drum.  The bass is low, and there's seldom a keyboard trying to accommodate for the wide variety of sounds on the records.  This leaves a lot of room for Neko's great voice, which admittedly should be the centerpiece.  

Even when they opted for some great rock music theatrics by starting the show with the clip of sonar submarine sounds to walk out to they don't keep the lights down and jump right into 'Where Did I Leave That Fire'.  Nope.  Lights are on full, Neko says hi to everyone, makes a funny joke.... and then sings "A chill ran through me."

It's like they're averse to the pretension of typical headliner showmanship, so they kill it with folksiness.  Guitars are casually tuned between every song, without a tech running back and forth in the dark keeping them stocked.  I think something is gained with this exchange.  You feel like you're in the room with Neko, the person, as much as the performer.  It's almost like hanging out with them at rehearsal.  Neko and Kelly are hilarious ( "Thanks Neko, you got the Bobby McFerrin song out of my head."  "Kelly, we agreed not to speak of Obbybay, IcFerrinMay").

What I'm saying is it's a fulfilling performance that always favors humanity over grandiosity.  But damn are the arrangements on the recordings grand. I'd still love to see Neko come out with an approach to stage sound and production more akin to Wilco.

Also of dorky note:  Eric Bachmann of Archers of Loaf fame is on tour with Neko as lead guitarist.  Aside from the obvious coolness of these two geniuses making music together, it makes me wonder what's up with her other guitarist.  They wrote a ton of the songs on the albums together.  I can't help but wonder if they parted creative ways, or if he's just sitting out on this trip.

Also of dorky note:  Eric Bachmann of Archers of Loaf fame is on tour with Neko as lead guitarist.  Aside from the obvious coolness of these two geniuses making music together, it makes me wonder what's up with her other guitarist.  They wrote a ton of the songs on the albums together.  I can't help but wonder if they parted creative ways, or if he's just sitting out on this trip.

I'm assuming you're referring to Paul Rigby.  I have Paul to thank for getting a few items autographed by Neko (since she apparently hates to meet her fans, or at least ones who name their daughter Neko :D ), and I asked him about this after I saw he wasn't on the Jimmy Fallon performance.  He's simply sitting this tour out for family reasons and made it out to be that he would be back in the fold at some point down the road.

It's like they're averse to the pretension of typical headliner showmanship, so they kill it with folksiness.  Guitars are casually tuned between every song, without a tech running back and forth in the dark keeping them stocked.  I think something is gained with this exchange.  You feel like you're in the room with Neko, the person, as much as the performer.  It's almost like hanging out with them at rehearsal.  Neko and Kelly are hilarious ( "Thanks Neko, you got the Bobby McFerrin song out of my head."  "Kelly, we agreed not to speak of Obbybay, IcFerrinMay").

I noticed the same thing when I saw her a few years ago. That kind of folksiness and pausing between songs might work great if you're playing a small club but not so much when you're in front of a couple thousand people in a theater. She could learn a few things from a band like Wilco about pacing and momentum when performing in front of a larger audience. She could start by hiring a guitar tech.

I noticed the same thing when I saw her a few years ago. That kind of folksiness and pausing between songs might work great if you're playing a small club but not so much when you're in front of a couple thousand people in a theater. She could learn a few things from a band like Wilco about pacing and momentum when performing in front of a larger audience. She could start by hiring a guitar tech.

I agree. I thought she had a hard time maintaining momentum during her set at Solid Sound. To me, it appeared that the two minutes of sporadic banter between songs drained the energy from her show. The crowd did not seem not energized - polite applause, then quiet during the interludes. Great, great voice; less-than-great entertainer on a big stage.

Regarding Paul Rigby - If the dedication within the record is what I think it is, looks like he is a new father.  More than warrants a rest from touring, but man, he sure sounded good playing with Rauhouse when I saw Neko last year.

Love the new record, carry on... 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the show last night at Radio City. It was 100 times better than the show she did at Solid Sound. And there was none of the prolonged between-song guitar tunings that have plagued the last few shows I've seen. She's mixed up the set somewhat from the last few tours, finally. I heard two of my favorites for the first time, "Lion's Jaws" and "Set Out Running," neither of which she has played since I first saw her in 2008. "In California" was also played, giving me new appreciation for it since I've only listed to the album it is on twice. Ended the show with Ragtime.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw her tonight (10-18) in Milwaukee.  Fantastic, as always.  First encore ended with "Ragtime."  Second encore was "Honolulu" and "I Wish I Was the Moon."

• 1 month later...

This is sort of funny.

I was listening to Middle Cyclone (for the first time since it came out probably) and forgot about the end track. It got to the end of the last song. I thought - ok. I'll watch some videos now.

I began watching an ELP concert on Youtube. I was wondering why they were playing a cricket tape throughout the show. I stopped the video and the cricket sound was still going. I looked around and noticed the cd player was still on. And then I remembered the cricket loop at the the end of the cd.

I have not listened to her albums for a long time. I had forgotten how moving some of her songs are. I also discovered two cds stuck in one cd case. I know I did not do that. A mystery.

Anyhow - this is all do to the fact I finally decided to get her new album. Although - it has yet to arrive in the mail.

Since I was listening to all the albums the other day - I got hung up on Magpie to the Morning. I have to admit I have not listened to the last two albums very much. I think I sort of got burnt out on listening to her some years ago. I am not sure what to make of the new album yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Truckdriver, Gladiator, Mule

Anti Records and Neko Case are proud to announce “Truckdriver Gladiator, Mule” the complete Neko Case collection on Vinyl. Set for release on November 13, 2015, Neko’s long out of print titles and hard-to-find favorites are available for the first time on 180 gram black vinyl.  PREORDER IT HERE.

What’s Included within this beautiful box you ask?

A limited edition 80-page full color photography book designed and curated by Neko Case, a vinyl slipmat with illustration by Neko, and a digital download card for each and every album.

Albums represented…..

o   The Virginian – On vinyl for the first time

o   Furnace Room Lullaby – Vinyl out of print since 2007

o   Canadian Amp – Vinyl out of print since 2001

o   Blacklisted – Vinyl out of print since 2008

o   The Tigers Have Spoken – Vinyl out of print since 2004

o   Fox Confessor Brings The Flood – Vinyl out of print since 2009

o   Middle Cyclone

o   The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You