• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it possible that I'm the only one on this board who noticed that Glenn Kotche played drums on this album?

I mentioned this in the Playing Now thread a couple of weeks ago.  Sebastian Steinberg on bass and Glenn on drums and percussion.  Terrific rhythm section.  Really love the arrangements on this album - as well as the songs and harmonies.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I had low expectations especially after the lead single came out. Besides that song, I like the rest of the album. Dark, angry, pissed-off records are what we need these days.

• 2 weeks later...

While not a complete turn from where things were going with "The Worse Things Get...", she's definitely evolving. Gone are the baroque arrangements, and Good the Bad and the Ugly guitars, or Garth Hudson organ runs of Fox Confessor and Middle Cyclone. She clearly has no interest in anything "Americana" at this point.

These songs are cutting, memorable, and with clean and efficient arrangements. More emphasis on rhythm hooks from the drums and the bass, almost dancey in a couple spots.

I'm a little miffed that the super nice, double vinyl, gatefold I invested $35 in couldn't be bothered to include a download code. Thanks a lot Anti-!

Both the duets are great. Ironically the "I-5" song with Mark Lanegan sounds more like he's just singing along to Neko Case in his car (which is totally fulfilling btw), but the Eric Bachman tune is a true duet with interlocking parts. Of course it turns out he's already recorded that one, but it was well worth revisiting to hear their two voices together.

i really like the new record. bummed her boston show is an opening slot for ray lamontagne. 

but i bought tickets for her november show in dublin, 

agreed - and it's at the shittiest venue in the city.

i too wasn't crazy about the single, but am in love with the album. halls of sarah and sleep all summer are my favorites for now.

• 4 months later...

She just announced a bunch of 2019 tour dates:

1.23 PROVIDENCE, RI COLUMBUS THEATRE

1.24 BOSTON, MA ROYALE

1.25 PHILADELPHIA, PA KESWICK THEATRE

1.26 WASHINGTON D.C. LINCOLN THEATRE

1.29 CHAPEL HILL, NC MEMORIAL HALL

1.30 CHARLESTON, SC CHARLESTON MUSIC HALL

1.31 PONTE VEDRAPONTE VEDRA CONCERT HALL

2.01 TAMPA, FL THE ORPHEUM

2.02 ORLANDO, FL THE BEACHAM THEATER

2.04 TALLAHASSEE, FL THE MOON