Wilco - Durham NC - DPAC 3-27-10

A couple of shots from the show, John with his upright and the wacky T shirt guy....

charles

More Charles, more!! With the new photo policy, we depend on you guys that much more :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same kid!!!! I know because he sat right behind me during that show on the second row in Charleston! I never forget a face... Crazy how he's gotten to go on stage with Jeff twice now..... :lol

I was gonna say, "same kid," but he looks about 5 years older, or at least considerably less a doughy teen. Obviously going from the teen period where everything defines, before it begins shifting southward.

I've seen them 12 times now and still haven't heard my fave Ashes yet, but I'm not complaining.

I've seen them 13 times and have only heard it once. It's my favorite, too, and I request it for every show. In fact, I just put in my request for it in Scranton this morning. The one time I did get to hear it, though, was pretty perfect--it was the first of those three St. Louis shows two years ago, and it was my first time ever getting to be in the front row for a show (any show, not just Wilco). I was right in front of Nels, and watching him play that long solo was pretty transcendent.

I couldn't imagine the show being better unless Wilco unveils the 24-minute version of At Least That's What You Said.

That would give the crew more than ample time to put up/take down for the "acoustic" set.

"Acoustic" isn't exactly appropriate thing to call it. Maybe "backstage/on-stage"?

I was gonna say, "same kid," but he looks about 5 years older, or at least considerably less a doughy teen. Obviously going from the teen period where everything defines, before it begins shifting southward.

Believe me, it's the same kid. I never forget a face.. My wife says I have some sort of gift. :)

He has that same "I'm standing next to Jeff Tweedy" smirk on his face... :lol

That would give the crew more than ample time to put up/take down for the "acoustic" set.

"Acoustic" isn't exactly appropriate thing to call it. Maybe "backstage/on-stage"?

Stripped-down?

I have to get my hands on that version of Spiders.

There's plenty of versions of Tweedy doing that arrangement solo over Owl & Bear too...but I guess the Durham tapers will have the full-lineup take up sometime soon...

as well as the dedication of Passenger Side (A guy at our show last night was so drunk, this song STILL goes out to him).

yeah, that guy was GONE. it was really sad. at one point he raced across the row of seats because everyone was standing... he was a idiot. i am glad jeff kept the $20 the doofus threw on stage.

The complaints about these epic setlists are funny. I've seen them 12 times now and still haven't heard my fave Ashes yet

I've seen them 5 times and I have yet to hear that as well! My fav. Wilco song Via Chicago was finally played thou, for a while now it thought it was some sick song that Jeff Tweedy was playing on me! But what an amazing show, I was the 1st row to the left of Nels whose playing blew me away, it's one thing seeing Nels performing 100 ft away but to watch him only a few inches away is something I will always cheerish in my memory. I also pissed Jeff off by accident, I was pretending to clear my throat for Jesus, he took it has I'm not singing along, with I think he knew as he saw me singing along to everything.

for a while now it thought it was some sick trick that Jeff Tweedy was playing on me!

For a while I thought the same thing! I saw Wilco three times over a span of two years, and every time they opened with Sunken Treasure! :lol

Howdy folks! Went to the Durham show last night and was blown away. It was my third time seeing the band, but the first time I've seen them in 8 or 9 years. Truly worth the wait!

Re: the sound in the balcony of the DPAC- I was in the upper balcony and thought the sound was excellent, especially after the first five or six songs. I've seen shows from the floor and from both sides of the balcony now, and find it to be excellent. In fact, the Leonard Cohen show a couple of months ago was the best live sound I've ever heard.

Glad everyone otherwise enjoyed the show!

Guest wrinkleintherug

My first Wilco show ever! First off, let me say I'm proud of my city for building a venue that would bring a band like Wilco here. Durham is definitely an artsy town, but we typically deal with the underground more than we do with well known acts like Wilco.

I'd been following this site to get an idea of what songs I might get to hear at the show, and I was pleased that I was still surprised with the setlist (despite the bickering on this thread). Jeff was in a great mood which made me feel even more proud that he seemed to be feeding off of a good energy from the crowd. The first time I'd ever gotten chills at a show was seeing U2 this summer in Raleigh, and halfway into the set I was thinking what an enjoyable show it was, but just not a moving experience like U2 was. Then they played Impossible Germany and the chills definitely came back. Passenger Side was awesome. As was Shot in the Arm.

The way they transitioned in and out of the acoustic set was really very cool. I was a little disappointed in Via Chicago but I think it has to do with it being such a great song to begin with and maybe it's just impossible to get better than the album version. The guitar duel during the encore was amazing. Some great banter with the crowd especially when the girl asked them to play their wedding (You don't have enough money to afford us. It would take a life-changing amount of money for us to play your wedding) and the Jeff Tweedy shirt as well as the dedication of Passenger Side (A guy at our show last night was so drunk, this song STILL goes out to him).

I couldn't imagine the show being better unless Wilco unveils the 24-minute version of At Least That's What You Said.

wow. never seen, heard or witnessed U2 used in the same sentence as wilco before.

not sure if i will ever stop throwing up.

There are a number of U2 fans here, and often threads about U2 (positive and negative) in the music forum. Your comment above was uncalled for, and added no value to this discussion. :wave

Signed,

A Moderator

I'm very curious -- and would love some input -- as to why the boys choose to basically play 75-80% of the exact same set every night. I guess I don't understand what would be inspiring or exciting about doing this night in and night out? They are clearly capable of playing every song in their canon, but they pretty much play the same, exact songs they played on the summer tour, the fall/winter tour, etc. I mean, really, when you return to cities in which you've already played the same songs as last time out, why would you not want to mix things up a bit. Enough already with the Incredible Germany/California Stars duo and the Walken/Hate it Here... I mean, I love these songs, but let's bring together some new combos! Just had to vent a bit... as I am gong to see them consecutive nights in Montclair, NJ next weekend and I'm afraid they're going to be doing basically the same setlist both nights. I'm super excited about these shows and especially the acoustic sets... but just cross my fingers for some real variety in the electric sets...

Thoughts on this?

Guest wrinkleintherug

There are a number of U2 fans here, and often threads about U2 (positive and negative) in the music forum. Your comment above was uncalled for, and added no value to this discussion. :wave

Signed,

A Moderator

ok, then. i think that U2 is uncalled for, and add no value to music. but nice avatar, superfan.

You point is well taken. I used to see them 2 or 3 times a year. Now I limit myself to once or so. It was hard for me to come to the realization that sets were not designed with only me in mind.

I guess I've decided that JT does a pretty good job of balancing two road band imperatives - those being

1) giving the crowd what many of them want ("hits") while

2) tweaking the sets some to maintain their own sanity by offering themselves artistic challenge, and trying to satisfy the Tweeks (Tweedy geeks) like me (and you I guess).

He might not know it, but Jeff and I have reached an accommodation which is workable for both of us.

wow. never seen, heard or witnessed U2 used in the same sentence as wilco before.

Hysterical.

I was at the show (Wilco, not U2! haha) and enjoyed it immensely. Great energy, great setlist, great night. We were right up front between Pat & John until some women who were 1 row in front of us and dead center came up to us and said "We have seen you dancing and singing along to every single song. Would you like to switch seats with us? We are right in front of the lead singer." So we did. I didn't think our seats could get any better, but they did. What a night! It was my first big night out since my daughter was born (a year ago!), so the timing of the seat swap seemed like divine intervention.

I am curious though - what was the "raffle" for the Piedmont (where my husband works!) gift certificate? I was wondering how they chose who to give it to - just randomly through requests?

Thanks to the band for playing both of my requests: Summerteeth & also Airline to Heaven (for my little brother who died recently).

Also, when did the new "no photos allowed at all" policy start? Security was REALLY strict about it apparently! I enjoyed not having to see tons of flashes and cell phones out...although I must admit, my cell was in my back pocket throughout the show in case the babysitter called with an emergency and I actually snapped one photo (after a few beers) before I remembered I wasn't supposed to. I promptly put it away and didn't take any more.

Such a great show, I wish I was going to be able to catch a few more shows this tour!

-Sandi-

Guest wrinkleintherug

Hysterical.

I was at the show (Wilco, not U2! haha) and enjoyed it immensely. Great energy, great setlist, great night. We were right up front between Pat & John until some women who were 1 row in front of us and dead center came up to us and said "We have seen you dancing and singing along to every single song. Would you like to switch seats with us? We are right in front of the lead singer." So we did. I didn't think our seats could get any better, but they did. What a night! It was my first big night out since my daughter was born (a year ago!), so the timing of the seat swap seemed like divine intervention.

I am curious though - what was the "raffle" for the Piedmont (where my husband works!) gift certificate? I was wondering how they chose who to give it to - just randomly through requests?

Thanks to the band for playing both of my requests: Summerteeth & also Airline to Heaven (for my little brother who died recently).

Also, when did the new "no photos allowed at all" policy start? Security was REALLY strict about it apparently! I enjoyed not having to see tons of flashes and cell phones out...although I must admit, my cell was in my back pocket throughout the show in case the babysitter called with an emergency and I actually snapped one photo (after a few beers) before I remembered I wasn't supposed to. I promptly put it away and didn't take any more.

Such a great show, I wish I was going to be able to catch a few more shows this tour!

-Sandi-

you can sign up for "wilcomail" on www.wilcoworld.net and they update you with good stuff. the new policy on cameras is b/c flashes were distracting both the band and folks that were there to listen. the "hey!! look where i am!!" crowd is not what wilco are about. but maybe U2 are, but i wouldn't know! cheers, glad you liked the show.

ok, then. i think that U2 is uncalled for, and add no value to music. but nice avatar, superfan.

This will blow your mind.

Bono actually threw in the 1st verse of Far, Far Away before Beautiful Day on their 360 tour last fall during multiple shows.

AND

Jeff Tweedy cued the band to play a bit of Sunday Bloody Sunday (hence my signature).

betty-white.jpg

Guest wrinkleintherug

This will blow your mind.

Bono actually threw in the 1st verse of Far, Far Away before Beautiful Day on their 360 tour last fall during multiple shows.

AND

Jeff Tweedy cued the band to play a bit of Sunday Bloody Sunday (hence my signature).

betty-white.jpg

correct on both counts, don't actually mind some of U2's old stuff, and thought my comments would be taken in jest...alas, i got yelled at, but that's okay, as long as people keep listening to music more than than they write about it, i will survive. cheers.

correct on both counts, don't actually mind some of U2's old stuff, and thought my comments would be taken in jest...alas, i got yelled at, but that's okay, as long as people keep listening to music more than than they write about it, i will survive. cheers.

I think it mostly had to do with being a new poster to the board and making a comment like that with only about 20 posts to your credit.

There's an unspoken common sense/common courtesy over holding off on posts like that until you have reached a certain # of posts.

Since it puts you in a light that might make you look like one who is going to say negative things to stir the pot.

That's like me joining a message board for _____ and bashing the Red Hot Chili Peppers because someone mentioned them in a concert review comparison.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but there are certain instances on a message board where you kind of have to edit yourself.

I'm sure you'll like the music threads and one for all things non-music. Things get quite heated.