Wilco - Durham NC - DPAC 3-27-10

I think it mostly had to do with being a new poster to the board and making a comment like that with only about 20 posts to your credit.

There's an unspoken common sense/common courtesy over holding off on posts like that until you have reached a certain # of posts.

I better watch myself then! I've been to quite a few Wilco shows (lost count at 26) and have been reading the forums here for ages, but have only posted 10 times (according to the count below my name)!

About the photo thing, I enjoyed the new photo policy. It was nice to not have the distractions, I was just curious about how long they had been doing it because it was a first for me at a Wilco show.

Now on to the music: So far I've seen 2 different recordings posted of the Durham show - one from the balcony & one from near the soundboard. (I'm still looking for the one from the guy in the 3rd or 4th row at the show Saturday night.) The balcony recording is not too great but the one from near the soundboard sounds pretty good so far. Has anybody found any other (good quality) recordings from the Durham show?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now on to the music: So far I've seen 2 different recordings posted of the Durham show - one from the balcony & one from near the soundboard. (I'm still looking for the one from the guy in the 3rd or 4th row at the show Saturday night.) The balcony recording is not too great but the one from near the soundboard sounds pretty good so far. Has anybody found any other (good quality) recordings from the Durham show?

Not yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for the two other [known] recordings.

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/43416-wilco-2010-03-27/

The Section 2 Row B seat 108 (or so) recording will probably be posted on bt.etree

Guest wrinkleintherug

I better watch myself then! I've been to quite a few Wilco shows (lost count at 26) and have been reading the forums here for ages, but have only posted 10 times (according to the count below my name)!

About the photo thing, I enjoyed the new photo policy. It was nice to not have the distractions, I was just curious about how long they had been doing it because it was a first for me at a Wilco show.

i am right there with you, brother/sister. i am near 30 or so myself and really just read these things to see the setlist and any variations on what and how they are playing things...really didn't think anyone ever needed my opinion on what to like/dislike, especially where this band concerned. also, i thought this 'thread' was just about 'the show' and didn't realize got into "the beatles are better than the stones" and meaningless musings of that ilk. in fact, i think that there are seperate threads for that type of thing..whatever..i have grown tired of typing about it, at least they know who wilco is, the rest is up to them...

Guest wrinkleintherug

I think it mostly had to do with being a new poster to the board and making a comment like that with only about 20 posts to your credit.

There's an unspoken common sense/common courtesy over holding off on posts like that until you have reached a certain # of posts.

Since it puts you in a light that might make you look like one who is going to say negative things to stir the pot.

That's like me joining a message board for _____ and bashing the Red Hot Chili Peppers because someone mentioned them in a concert review comparison.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but there are certain instances on a message board where you kind of have to edit yourself.

I'm sure you'll like the music threads and one for all things non-music. Things get quite heated.

i guess my point is that there is another thread that folks can discuss their proclivities for other bands...whatever, i will certainly self edit with a deeper couloured pen if i ever decide to even respond to anything again...tedious.

i am right there with you, brother/sister. i am near 30 or so myself and really just read these things to see the setlist and any variations on what and how they are playing things...really didn't think anyone ever needed my opinion on what to like/dislike, especially where this band concerned. also, i thought this 'thread' was just about 'the show' and didn't realize got into "the beatles are better than the stones" and meaningless musings of that ilk. in fact, i think that there are seperate threads for that type of thing..whatever..i have grown tired of typing about it, at least they know who wilco is, the rest is up to them...

i guess my point is that there is another thread that folks can discuss their proclivities for other bands...whatever, i will certainly self edit with a deeper couloured pen if i ever decide to even respond to anything again...tedious.

Picture this thread or any other thread in a real life situation where you are face to face with a bunch of people. Picture this thread taking place in a parking lot after this particular show. By making that comment (that you made) people are going to respond to it in a couple of ways: agree or disagree or it may even start a debate. You have to be willing to defend that comment or make a bee line to the exit, if people do not agree with that comment. Or at least back it up with some real criticism of the band other then your bodily response to hearing their music.

Not to mention a moderator responded to your comment 1st and made a clear and concise response on the ethics of this board.

P.S. I seem to recall there being a heated debate about Phish last fall that resulted in one member being banned. Obviously that's not a threat to you. It's just an example of being thrown off a board about exercising one's opinions, but rather moreso on the what & how it is being said. :thumbup

ok, then. i think that U2 is uncalled for, and add no value to music. but nice avatar, superfan.

I'm about done with this discussion in a thread about the Durham Wilco show, but wrinkleintherug has been around here for awhile, so this isn't a newbie issue. I thought rather than settling this in a PM and hiding any posts, it would be beneficial to explain what the moderating staff takes issue with, and why. After this, I'll take it offline if needed. So!

1. You're free to dislike U2 or any other band as much as you want, just like people here are actually free to dislike Wilco. The catch is that in the rules and regulations, we ask people to be respectful. It's not really a request, frankly. In this case, somebody made a heartfelt post about how much they enjoyed a show they attended, and mentioned another show that meant a lot to them. And you chose to post ridiculing their general taste, for no good reason. It's not a huge deal, but it's not very nice. (And also, if you've ever read anything about U2 around here, way predictable.) It also had little to do with the topic of this thread. But mostly, I took issue with someone talking about an experience that meant a lot to them and being ridiculed for it. The band or subject is immaterial. Those are the reasons I commented about it. Notice I didn't say "official warning!" or threaten you with banishment, suspension, etc.

2. Your response to my post would have been okay, if tiresome, if you'd just quit after that. But then there's the third sentence. If you really need me to spell out the issues there, feel free to send a personal message. Again, see Rules and Regulations regarding moderators, and also being respectful. This board isn't run like a lot of other boards on the internet. I know, it's crazy.

And, further Durham discussion ensues.

correct on both counts, don't actually mind some of U2's old stuff, and thought my comments would be taken in jest...alas, i got yelled at, but that's okay, as long as people keep listening to music more than than they write about it, i will survive. cheers.

Thought it was a funny comment and hardly worth the uproar. Don't be discouraged.

Guest wrinkleintherug

I'm about done with this discussion in a thread about the Durham Wilco show, but wrinkleintherug has been around here for awhile, so this isn't a newbie issue. I thought rather than settling this in a PM and hiding any posts, it would be beneficial to explain what the moderating staff takes issue with, and why. After this, I'll take it offline if needed. So!

1. You're free to dislike U2 or any other band as much as you want, just like people here are actually free to dislike Wilco. The catch is that in the rules and regulations, we ask people to be respectful. It's not really a request, frankly. In this case, somebody made a heartfelt post about how much they enjoyed a show they attended, and mentioned another show that meant a lot to them. And you chose to post ridiculing their general taste, for no good reason. It's not a huge deal, but it's not very nice. (And also, if you've ever read anything about U2 around here, way predictable.) It also had little to do with the topic of this thread. But mostly, I took issue with someone talking about an experience that meant a lot to them and being ridiculed for it. The band or subject is immaterial. Those are the reasons I commented about it. Notice I didn't say "official warning!" or threaten you with banishment, suspension, etc.

2. Your response to my post would have been okay, if tiresome, if you'd just quit after that. But then there's the third sentence. If you really need me to spell out the issues there, feel free to send a personal message. Again, see Rules and Regulations regarding moderators, and also being respectful. This board isn't run like a lot of other boards on the internet. I know, it's crazy.

And, further Durham discussion ensues.

You'll be happier when I'm gone

I'm much too busy to worry

I'll be sad and you'll feel bad

But I know you won't be sorry

And as I turn to go

Please don't wave goodbye

I refuse to cry

On roads that are paved

With men who behave

Like they know where they're goin'

And I'll stop along the way

And it's then I'll think of you

And I'll wonder if you knew

When I got blue

And things got weird

And I started growing

Bob Dylan's beard

good riddance. i'm history.

Going to the Wellmont in Montclair, NJ to see my 1st Wilco show, (after turning down at least 2-other ticketed invites over the past 18-months.) And hearing every available AUD-recording from the (really good) Summer tour and parts of Europe and Fall swing, I had those same set lists thoughts broached by others.

Last weekend I listened to the 3-22-2010 show and was re-excited all over again. That was a great show and a pretty fine recording. I thought, damn, Hot show, they're really playing well. The mood-tempo-arrangement-(whatever) has changed/tweaked for the better. Like they've boiled down the essence of these tunes to what works and the spots to show some flair. It's got me looking forward to the Wellmont gig.

Well said.

Harumph harumph. Nothing worse than a tough-customer Wilco fan. Relax. Enjoy the Wilco they choose to present. You're in the presence of genius. Anyone who complains - do you think you are better at choosing material than Mr. Tweedy? Do you think your ulitimate set list is what everyone else would want to hear? I'm partial to catching rarities from the Woody Guthrie/Loose Fur stuff (which will rankle the purists, I'm sure) but Miami was a phenomenal show without Hoodoo Voodoo or Laminated Cat or even, gasp, a Via Chicago. The Big Star tribute was nice, too. But I guess some people want every show to end with Monday or Misunderstood. Is the important thing about seeing the best rock band around the quality of the setlist in terms of your standards, or is it about the experience?

Brianne, thanks for your very reasonable handling of an unnecessarily snarky post. I'm always a little startled at posters who find our "Rules and Regs" hard to abide by, since the only thing we really insist on is basic civility toward other members. Often a problem arises from behavior that a poster would never think of engaging in in person, in "real life", but which is somehow seen as allowable, or clever, on the internet. Not so.

Let's resume our conversation about the Durham show, which sounds like it was pretty terrific. :thumbup

unfortunately, I did not attend this show :no my work schedule conflicted with me attending but I was totally there in spirit! sounds like everyone had fun and I'm super-stoked that you all got Summerteeth , When The Roses Bloom Again, and When You Wake Up Feeling Old! so, so lucky B)

I had a wonderful time. Great seats. Have always been a fan but had only seen them one other time (Mountain Stage, Charleston WV '95). That being my situation, I could've cared less what they played, just as long as they played and played long they did. 33 songs and after it was over I would have guessed they had played around 20. Much like a great movie, 3 hours can seem like 3 minutes. I was 15 when I saw them the first time and felt 15 seeing them the second. Anyway, great board and community you've got here, have enjoyed scouring your threads.

I missed getting the last poster...so close. I was asking for it while the last one was being taken down from the display.

If anyone is looking to rid themselves of one, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Considering they've put the Richmond poster up for sale, I'd think it's safe to say, all the DPAC posters are gone.