I have read some complaints about the lack of variety so for this tour and I am just shocked that some would really think that.

Without getting into details I have counted over 55 different songs played so far after 5 dates and an average of 33 songs or so per night.

I saw both Miami and Clearwater and I think at some point at the Clearwater show they did 7 songs in a row that they did not play the night before.

There is not really another group that would do that (except maybe the Dead and Pearl Jam).

We should all just appreciate what we are seeing and stop trying to find things that are not there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree- I see no reason to complain about setlist variation. I just saw them in Savannah and Atlanta, and all I can say is that I saw 2 spectacular shows. Got the superlong setlist in Savannah, followed by a spirited show at the Fox, each one laced with gems.

Have to agree- I see no reason to complain about setlist variation. I just saw them in Savannah and Atlanta, and all I can say is that I saw 2 spectacular shows. Got the superlong setlist in Savannah, followed by a spirited show at the Fox, each one laced with gems.

I agree!!! :worship Thank you Wilco!!! :cheekkiss

I think the way they pull it all together is very cool. They're mixing it up. Honestly, it's a no-win situation because people would be complaining "why the *#&$% didn't they play Heavy Metal Drummer?!?"

I've seen more than enough bands that play the same 17 songs in the same order in every city.

I have read some complaints about the lack of variety so for this tour and I am just shocked that some would really think that.

Without getting into details I have counted over 55 different songs played so far after 5 dates and an average of 33 songs or so per night.

I saw both Miami and Clearwater and I think at some point at the Clearwater show they did 7 songs in a row that they did not play the night before.

There is not really another group that would do that (except maybe the Dead and Pearl Jam).

Yo La Tengo can easily pull this off. the Freewheeling tour was awesome.

if you are counting dead bands (like the Dead), Guided By Voices would be another one.

other bands w/ deep catalogs who aren't touring on a specific record and can dig deep would include Sonic Youth, Super Furry Animals and Mogwai.

other bands w/ deep catalogs who aren't touring on a specific record and can dig deep would include Sonic Youth, Super Furry Animals and Mogwai.

Good examples, but I wish SFA dug deeper. They always bring out a rare song on each new tour, but there's so much they neglect. I'll still see them whenever possible, though. But the best songbook in modern rock is being wasted there.

Again, Wilco's in a tough position because they have hardcore and casual fans at every show. I'd say they achieve that balance very well. The casuals can leave having heard HMD and ITMWLY, and the hardcores can leave having heard Laminated Cat or Bob Dylan's Beard. There shouldn't be any complaints. But alas.

Absolutely ZERO complaints here. Sure, there are songs I wish I could've heard last night, but I don't think I've ever been to a show where I've heard absolutely every song I wanted to hear.

As for artists with deep catalogs who like to mix things up, throw Springsteen into that group. Sure, you're bound to hear "Born To Run" every single night, but a large portion of his setlist changes from night to night. He even left blank spaces in the setlist for requests ("audibles") during the summer 2009 tour.

http://brucespringsteen.net/live/2009setlists.html#20090502

I am never going to complain about a set list that Wilco has. I think I've seen Shot In the Arm at every show I've seen, and each time always discover something new in the mix, because no room is ever the same.

I am impressed they are playing so long without an intermission. It's epic as all get out.

Considering the fact that Tweedy changes guitars after every single song (for what real purpose, I have no idea), changing setlists drastically each night would probably create technical and logistical problems.

Guest Runaway Jim

Personally, I prefer when bands switch up their set lists a lot. Wilco has the talent and catalog to do it, but they don't. They must like playing a lot of the same songs every night. Which is fine. I want them to have fun on stage.

The only song that I don't really care to hear at every show is Jesus Etc. But in Savannah, they let the crowd sing the lyrics while Jeff stood back, which was great!!

Considering the fact that Tweedy changes guitars after every single song (for what real purpose, I have no idea), changing setlists drastically each night would probably create technical and logistical problems.

I think it's to ensure that he always stays perfectly in tune on every song. Rich rock stars with multiple guitars and roadies have that luxury. :)

Different songs call for different guitar sounds/tones as well as tunings. There's the trebly twang of the Tele, the rich overdrive of the SG, the open-G tuning of the Gibson Barney Kessel for "Walken," etc.

"They are also going to be drawing from all seven of their albums and varying the sets every night."

I distinctly remember that in promoting this tour, the reports were similar to the above--so I got the impression that the setlists would be more varied than usual--kind of like an extended version of the 5 nite residency they did a few years back. So far, this has not been the case, especially with the first third of the show. It will be interesting to see if the Montclair set lists are more varied, since it's 2 nites at one venue.

Never seen Wilco on back to back nites, so I'm really excited about the upcoming Wellmont shows. And I think for Wilco, the smaller the venue, the more I enjoy the show.

Loved the show they did a few years back at Starland Ballroom (horn players from Brown U show!).

Sam L.

"They are also going to be drawing from all seven of their albums and varying the sets every night."

I distinctly remember that in promoting this tour, the reports were similar to the above--so I got the impression that the setlists would be more varied than usual--kind of like an extended version of the 5 nite residency they did a few years back. So far, this has not been the case, especially with the first third of the show. It will be interesting to see if the Montclair set lists are more varied, since it's 2 nites at one venue.

Never seen Wilco on back to back nites, so I'm really excited about the upcoming Wellmont shows. And I think for Wilco, the smaller the venue, the more I enjoy the show.

Loved the show they did a few years back at Starland Ballroom (horn players from Brown U show!).

Sam L.

Wrong....They have been playing 8-12 song different every night...that is more then anyone else does. They are not going to play 20-25 songs different each night.

Tweedy guitar changes give us fans a preview to guess what is coming up next...I was 75% at Miami with my guesses.

Wrong....They have been playing 8-12 song different every night...that is more then anyone else does. They are not going to play 20-25 songs different each night.

Tweedy guitar changes give us fans a preview to guess what is coming up next...I was 75% at Miami with my guesses.

Isn't that fun? :lol I told my friend when Jeff had an acoustic with the red SG behind it was going to be "Handshake Drugs" and she looked at my puzzled "How on earth do you know that?" :lol

Guest Runaway Jim

Wrong....They have been playing 8-12 song different every night...that is more then anyone else does.

Not really. Phish rarely plays the same song two straight shows. Their sets are always wildly different. Wilco could do this, but doesn't.

Then again, Wilco could really jam, but doesn't.

Two different bands, I suppose.

36 songs on Durham, is that enough....how bout, Cant Stand it, Ashes, Out of Mind, How To Fight...,Shes a Jar, Company in my Back, Laminated Cat, Someday, Some Morning. I would guess they are up to over 60 different songs played in like 7 shows.

Different songs call for different guitar sounds/tones as well as tunings. There's the trebly twang of the Tele, the rich overdrive of the SG, the open-G tuning of the Gibson Barney Kessel for "Walken," etc.

Yeah, I understand all that. There are only a few things in this world that I like to be shown more than a great guitar collection, but after the 15th guitar swap I found myself hoping they'd just rip into a three or four song run with no swaps...tuning be damned.